This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Should I buy a Wii?

edited August 2007 in Video Games
I have a 360 and I want something different, should I get a Wii? If yes, give me a list of things to buy with my Wii.

Comments

• If you have friends locally that you can play games with then yes get a Wii, it is the perfect social system. But if your the only one thats going to play it, it's not really worth getting.
  • Wait until there are more games for it.
  • Wait until there are more games for it.

Yes...wait until Tuesday when Metroid comes out. Nov? when Mario comes out, Dec. when Brawl comes out. Zelda's already out of course and then there's Strikers which is supposed to be good. I never heard anything on Super Paper Mario really, but that one should be at least worth playing.

All told it's been a dead first year for the Wii but it's picking up steam now.
  • Hooray for brand loyalty. Doesn't anyone play third-party games anymore?

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm waiting for SSBB.
  • I really wanna Wii. It just looks so fun...

The family is a bit short on money, but if we win the lottery that is gonna be our first purchase. :P
  • edited August 2007
    Hooray for brand loyalty. Doesn't anyone play third-party games anymore?

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm waiting for SSBB.
    I'll be happy to play a 3rd party Wii title. Name one as good as the Nintendo one's I listed off.
    Post edited by raquor on
  • m16: Which older-gen systems do you have?
  • I have a ps2 and I hear Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is the best version yet. Also, I didn't play a lot of games for the NES, SNES and N64 so the virtual console does interest me.
  • I have more questions, does the Wii include rechargable batteries for the Wiimote and do extra Wiimotes require seperate purchases of rechargable battery packs?
  • I have more questions, does the Wii include rechargable batteries for the Wiimote and do extra Wiimotes require seperate purchases of rechargable battery packs?
    AAs baby.
  • You know, I added up the cost of all the things I need to have fun, and the price is around the same price as the XBOX 360.
  • Hmmm . . . if you don't have a DS or GBA, I'd suggest getting one of those first.

Aside from that, the Wii seems like a great idea. If I recall correctly, it's compatible with Gamecube games and the virtual console can get you the N64, SNES, and NES games.
  • If you like playing retro games go for it, that's pretty much all I do on mine. Oh wait...I do turn it on to do the updates...and then turn it back off when they are complete.
  • I got the wii so I can play games with realistic motions. However, there still are no games with such. If that's what you're looking for, don't bother getting one yet. If you have a 360 and you just want to play games, there's no point in getting a wii (in my opinion).
  • edited August 2007
    I got the wii so I can play games with realistic motions. However, there still are no games with such. If that's what you're looking for, don't bother getting one yet. If you have a 360 and you just want to play games, there's no point in getting a wii (in my opinion).
    You sort of have a point. I mean if all you want is the ability to play games than any of the three systems will work in addition to a PS2 which is still a perfectly amazing system.

Personally, I picked up a Wii because the system has amazing potential and I know that regardless of anything else I'll enjoy the first party games. Right now I actually have more games for my Wii than for my 360 and there isn't much on 360 that I feel I need to run out and buy, while I'll be picking up Metroid tomorrow for the Wii.

Granted I bought 360 in March and have Crackdown and Gears while I bought Wii at launch and have Zelda, Warioware, ExciteTruck, and Elebits (oh...and Wii Sports).
    Post edited by raquor on
  • edited August 2007
    I don't know why, but when you said "amazing potential", this came to mind.
    1184832848996.jpg
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • I still think PS3 will have the most amazing games of this generation.
  • I still think PS3 will have the most amazing games of this generation.
    Graphics wise, yes. Gameplay? No.
  • The Wii has been less than impressive in terms of gameplay so far. Let's hope Metroid fixes this trend.
  • The Wii has been less than impressive in terms of gameplay so far. Let's hope Metroid fixes this trend.
    I have gotten a lot of game play out of Super Swing Golf and Zelda.
  • I totally disliked Zelda, but that's only because I've never cared much for Zelda since Part 2 and a Link to the Past. Also, I haven't played Super Swing Golf as I'm not really into the sports games, except hockey. I just think I'm not the target audience for the Wii, so perhaps I'm the wrong guy to be commenting it now that I think of it. I'm mostly an FPS type of guy. I like with controller best for this, mouse and keyboard are fine as well, but I just haven't found the Wii has got it right yet. I didn't like the controls for Resident Evil 4 (Wii Edition) at all.
  • Two whole games in the year since it's been out?!

STOP THE PRESSES!

My Wii has become a Super Metroid emulation box and this distresses me greatly. Resident Evil 4 was a good distraction, but I sort of played it three years ago already.
  • Two whole games in the year since it's been out?!

STOP THE PRESSES!

My Wii has become a Super Metroid emulation box and this distresses me greatly. Resident Evil 4 was a good distraction, but I sort of played it three years ago already.
    I'm mostly using the Wii for Paper Mario, Super Metroid and Strikers. It looks like Amazon isn't going to deliver my copy of Metroid for a week or two, which I guess is fine. There's no multiplayer on it, so it's not like I'll miss anything.
  • You too? I'm racking up tons of wasted hours playing Super Metroid! I'm currently stuck trying to beat the boss at the bottom of the wrecked spaceship. Since their is no save point nearby I alternate taking him on and then going back through the rest of the world with my X-Ray visor on.

Super Swing Golf is great because it is not a "real" golf game. You can use funny trick shots and wacky clubs. If the game was using licensed (Mario) characters it would have been a huger hit.
  • I don't know why, but when you said "amazing potential", this came to mind. Yeah, but it that dissaster would have never happened then maybe some mistakes would have being corrected and we would be living in a world with a bunch of zepellins. I hope it doesn't comes out like this:

• My Wii has become a Super Metroid emulation box and this distresses me greatly. Resident Evil 4 was a good distraction, but I sort of played it three years ago already.Strikers is pretty damn good, I must say.  Otherwise, I agree with you...  The Wii is still at the state that the DS was for a long time.  While Scott bought it immediately for various reasons, I would have waited until about now to pick one up.
    I really believe that the Wii will be ass-kickin' and name-takin' by this time next year.
  • I find it a bit odd how I'm still getting more use from my N64 and PS2 than I am from the next-gen systems . . .
  • Using your N64 to level out your wobbly couch doesn't count as playing it.
  • Naw, the PS3 is much better for that. XD
  • I ended up buying a PS3 and I couldn't be happier. Unlike the XBOX 360 it's quiet and doesn't overheat when you look at it funny. Also, unlike the 360, it doesn't crack or scratch discs. Blu-ray is gorgeous, being able to copy videos to the hard drive instead of just streaming them is awesome. The online is lag free and the games for download are awesome and addicting. Warhawk and Resistance are fun online and I love that the store is in dollars and not in points. My only regret is not buying it over the 360 when I had the chance. Now I have to wait for my shitty 360 to get repaired, which takes longer than it used to.