This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited April 2009
    This is a little project I recently created:

(click for full version, Warning, it's 2.5 MB in size)

I guess I could tell the story behind it:
    A few months ago I stumbled across The Periodic Table of Videos by the University of Nottingham which showcases each of the chemical elements with a little video. Even though I'm not that into chemistry, I'm still an allround geek who enjoys this kind of stuff and it was really interesting and funny.

Anyways, their introduction video the Professor with the awesome hairdo shows off a few periodic tables, two of them themed. Then some time later I saw the Periodic Table of Videogame Characters.

Now I found myself the last few days with a little downtime and wanted to listen to a bit of my podcast backlog and I thought this would be a cool little project.

There are a few players on there which are filler because I couldn't find someone else who would have fit the Chemical abbreviation of the corresponding element and there are a few players I would have liked to put on it, like Roy or Messier, but I just couldn't fit them into any slot, but in general I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I tried to stick mostly to Hall of Famers, "retired numbers", team Captains, popular players etc. But even with a full list of players I still couldn't find somebody with "Xe" so Xenon is empty. I also completely left off the completion of the 7th period.

Unfortunately some of the text can't be read on the smaller version so you can download the full version if you click on the image above.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited April 2009
    EDIT: This is much better.

DO YOU WANT A BANANA?
    PEEL IT DOWN AND GO MM MM MM MM!

Post edited by Banta on
  • I love that band. What were you going to post, if you don't mind me asking?
  • I love that band. What were you going to post, if you don't mind me asking?
    A news story about how an Australian man found his kidnapped sons in eleven days, after the Swedish police took six months and found diddly squat.
  • I'm not a huge sports fan, but I can appreciate novel plays that skirt the edges of legality. This catch is awesome:

• Two videos with a running theme:

• James Rolfe (better known as the Angry Video Game Nerd) gives a very enlightening and interesting first review in a supposed series on the Star Wars series and it's numerous influences
    Son of a bitch. I just realized how long it's been since I actually watched the original trilogy. I almost forgot how much I love Star Wars.
  • James Rolfe (better known as the Angry Video Game Nerd) gives a very enlightening and interesting first review in a supposed series on the Star Wars series and it's numerous influences
    Son of a bitch. I just realized how long it's been since I actually watched the original trilogy. I almost forgot how much I love Star Wars.
    It's easy to forget sometimes, what with the travesty that was the prequals, and the lack of a proper DVD release of the non special edition originals.
  • edited April 2009

Apparently the Tar Heels won, which caused a literal (or at least borderline) riot of team spirit.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • A new online FPS: Close Range. It takes just 3 minutes to play. (NSFW!)
  • A new online FPS:Close Range. It takes just 3 minutes to play. (NSFW!)
    I pre-ordered it at GameStop but was really disappointed when I got it. Since it's so short, it's shipped on one of those mini-cds, you know, the 3 in diameter ones. That would be okay if I had a normal cdrom drive but my laptop has a slot loaded one. So now I gotta make a disc image of it with another computer to be able to mount it on my machine.

Cmon people! Digital Distribution, Its not that complicated.
  • edited April 2009
    We booked our trip to Iceland last night and while continuing my research to plan our activities I came across this:
    "Hidden People" Lesson #4: Elves & Modern Iceland
    In polls, only about 20% of Icelanders rule out the existence of elves. Construction projects can still be thwarted by fears of disturbing elf dwellings. In 1996, as ground was prepared for a graveyard in a Reykjavík suburb, two bulldozers leveling a suspected elf hill mysteriously broke down. Elf arbitrators were called in. "We're going to see whether we can't reach an understanding with the elves," the project supervisor told Iceland's daily newspaper, Morgunblaðið.
    Many Icelanders are tired of being asked if they really believe in elves, because they can't give a simple yes or no answer. Saying "yes" would not mean they believe, in the most literal sense, that little people emerge from rocks every night and dance around. And saying "no" would not mean they dismiss related supernatural concepts and phenomena.
    Icelanders by necessity have always been strongly attuned to their strange and harsh environment. Spend enough time outdoors in Iceland's long twilights -- which play strange tricks on the eyes -- and Icelanders' unwillingness to rule out hidden people starts to make intuitive sense.
    I was aware of the elf/pixie/fairy "belief" in Iceland... I wasn't aware that one could make a career as an Elf Arbitrator. Where can I sign up for that job?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Elf Arbitrator
    best job EVER!
  • Follow Gary Oak on Twitter!(NSFW text)
    Definitive proof that people on the Internet have way to much spare time and do awesome things with it.
  • Found this in my image folder, still cute.
  • I couldn't help but smile when I saw this. ^_^
  • If all you care about is the size of the screen and the price, of course you'll go with the HP.

"This one is really drawing me..." You know what draws me? A laptop that doesn't crash.
  • Anyone who buys into an "OS war" is delusional.
  • Anyone who buys into an "OS war" is delusional.
    I don't buy into the whole "OS War" thing, I was just really pleased to see Microsoft (finally) make an AD that points out one of the most obvious reasons why people would prefer a PC over a Mac.
    "This one is really drawing me..." You know what draws me? A laptop that doesn't crash.
    If Macs didn't crash, the word beachball wouldn't have more than one meaning.
  • There is nothing wrong with buying a Mac or a PC as long as you are buying a computer that is suited to your needs/wants and is within your budget. That commercial turns me off not because the girl is really an actress (which she is), but because it seems to encourage people buying a computer without understanding the specs, software compatibility, etc. She seemed to want a screen, not a computer.

Also, the "not cool enough to be a Mac person" and calling the Apple store the "Mac Store" just irked me.
    edited April 2009
    I don't buy into the whole "OS War" thing, I was just really pleased to see Microsoft (finally) make an AD that points out one of the most obvious reasons why people would prefer a PC over a Mac.
    They're expensive, woopti-fucking-doo. They're also not HP+Windows. And I prefer my cheaper laptop that is way more awesome than said 17" HP monstrosity. In other words, it's a dumb commercial.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited April 2009
    There's also the fact that Boot Camp negates the need to complain about Mac hardware vs. PC hardware, because you can run Windows on either. Also, there's the fact that the MacBook Pro has 8 hours of battery life with awesome hardware and a 17" screen. Show me a Windows Laptop with equal specs and that battery life.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I think it's a very good concept for a commercial. It's exactly what Microsoft needs to do to counteract the alt-hipster cult that has started to surround Apple. It just was far from making me smile.
  • edited April 2009
    If Macs didn't crash, the word beachball wouldn't have more than one meaning.
    My point was that nothing was drawing her to that computer except the look. Or something. It wasn't explained. Not the capabilities of the machine, not the user interface, not the connectors, not the battery life. Just the look.

Sure, my Macbook crashed once. I installed Second Life and it froze up completely. Apart from that one time I've had the beachball hang out for a bit, but restarting the hung program always did the trick, resetting the entire machine wasn't needed. After a year of use, with zero maintenance and no fresh install, this is what I'd be willing to pay extra money for in a computer. Also, I remember mentioning this before on the forum, when I was looking for a laptop with my long list of requirements, out of all the models I found the Macbook was the closest fit. It being a Mac was just a bonus.

No OS war, I just think there's more to buying laptops that wanting a 17 inch screen (way too big for my uses).
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on

• This movie starts strong and ends strong.
  • From what I can tell, this isn't really as random as it appears. That doesn't, however, make it any less epic.
  • If you need a Mac, get one. Most people don't need Macs so, most people get PCs.
  • I installed Second Life and it froze up completely
    That wasn't your Mac crashing, that was it protecting you.