This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• I don't think it really proves what they are trying to prove. It certainly shows that the person playing is really good at Mega Man 3-6, but it doesn't really show how they are the same game when they levels look nothing alike.
  • I don't think it really proves what they are trying to prove. It certainly shows that the person playing is really good at Mega Man 3-6, but it doesn't really show how they are the same game when they levels look nothing alike.
    If you can beat 4 games simultaneously with identical controller inputs in real time, then the aesthetics of the levels are really of little consequence. It's essentially the same game.

I'll have to check out the video when I get home. My preliminary impression is HOAX.

• edited August 2012
    I don't think it really proves what they are trying to prove.
    That aspect of it is clearly tongue-in-cheek, I think.
    If you can beat 4 games simultaneously with identical controller inputs in real time, then the aesthetics of the levels are really of little consequence. It's essentially the same game.
    I don't agree.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The bosses in Mega Man 6 are so boring.
  • Ah, I missed muppet saying "real time". No, neither of these are in real time; they're tool-assisted, as I stated in my earlier post.
  • Ah, I missed muppet saying "real time". No, neither of these are in real time; they're tool-assisted, as I stated in my earlier post.
    I can't see the video. What does "tool assisted" mean in this case? Does it mean that the identical inputs were played back in the same sequence with the same timing? Ultimately that's the same for purposes of the point I was making.

• edited August 2012
    It's "tool assisted" in the sense of being done in segments. However, the inputs are indeed in the same sequence with the same timing. There are several tricks they've used repeatedly, though.

See here for the authors' notes.

Oh, and the other video I posted is the same thing but for Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 (Famicom), 2 (USA), and 3.
  • In a tool assisted situation, you can basically deal with the game frame by frame. So you can exploit all sorts of timing that a person could not (reasonably) do.
  • edited August 2012

Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Megaman Stuff
    I'm pretty sure the same algorithm used for this can be applied to several hundred more combinations of totally different games. It's just a computer cracking a pattern or code.

• edited August 2012
    Megaman Stuff
    I'm pretty sure the same algorithm used for this can be applied to several hundred more combinations of totally different games. It's just a computer cracking a pattern or code.
    As far as I can tell, this was done by human effort, so I'm not sure what algorithm you're talking about. Are you suggesting that this was done with a brute-force search approach?

However, I do agree with you that it's likely possible to do this for many, many combinations of games. In fact, my guess is that given two games chosen at random, it's more likely than not that it's possible to do this for those two games.
  • Flight of the concords
    You could see Brett just trying to keep from cracking up at a number of points.

• edited August 2012
    Flight of the conchords video
    I'd love to see a band do a whole album like that. You get some pretty amazing lyrics.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • More of you should watch Renagage Cut, an awesome film analysis show.

Here is one about Toy Story.
  • More of you should watch Renagage Cut, an awesome film analysis show.

Here is one about Toy Story.
    His claim that a darker an edgier ending would have made more sense thematically only holds water if we accept his sketchy and dubious interpretation of the relationship between Andy and the toys. And what's with this trend of wanting all movies to end with a huge downer, as if that somehow makes it more more real and mature?

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."
  • You could see Brett just trying to keep from cracking up at a number of points.
    I love the part where the kid basically thinks up a pyramid scheme.
  • You learn something new every day.

• Damn, that's pretty good. I might use that and make some creme burlee.
  • edited August 2012
    Ahem.
  • I'm slightly behind on this, but Barack Obama is doing a Reddit AMA right now.
  • I'm slightly behind on this, but Barack Obama is doing a Reddit AMA right now.
    The entire planet is trying to log on to reddit right now

• I've been trying to load the page for half an hour, now.
  • Loads just fine for me.
  • edited August 2012
    Osamu Tezuka's Adolf has been reprinted by Vertical. You can get it for $16 on Amazon.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Loads just fine for me.
    its Read Only now. Can't A him A anymore.