This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Jeeeezus. It's like your primary school stage managing on a NYE production.

I was also wondering what was up with that lady's voice, and then when she started singing, I realised it was Macy Grey. Man, she talks like that normally, trippy man.

Shit, man, this is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. I can feel careers ending as I watch.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2013
    Well, last I checked it was $325k every time you say "fuck" on tv. Everything else only costs them reputation.

All the mistakes I can see in that highlights reel:
    • Opening the mics before cueing the hosts.
    • Not cueing the hosts before cutting to them.
    • Not telling the host what camera he need to look at ("Where's my camera at?"
      at 0:09)
    • Missing stage manager.
    • Cutting to shot that clearly isn't ready.
    • Opening the mic for a host in a different shot without cutting to their camera.
    • Coming back from commercial to the wrong host.
    • Even if it's the wrong host, he had an earpeice. They could have told him to improvise. he's a comedian, he should be able to manage that much. For ten seconds on air he just stood there going "Are we back?"
    • Those two burger girls threw the shot to Jamie but Video made Stu catch it. He recovered well, though.
    • When Stu introduced the clip of Jamies routine, VTR (video playback) didn't even have the clip cued. They had to bring it up AFTER the shot cut to them, then the had to REWIND to it.
    • Ana Rosales wasn't paying attention.
    • Macy Gray was drunk (I think).
    • Guy in crowd F-bombed. They usually tell them to make sure not to. Stu tried to get the mic away and covered, but it was too late.
    • The band on stage said fuck at least three or four times.
    • Jamie Kennedy was being a complete ass and those two girls were CLEARLY drunk.
    • They let a fight break out on stage. If it were me, I would have cut to CG with some nice KDOC 2013 overlay to cover up the fight.

Overall, I want to shake Stu's hand. Out of everyone there, he tried his best to keep things going smoothly, but he was outnumbered by incompetence and unpreparedness 2-1. It was a total shit storm. Either they didn't rehearse this or everyone just went bonkers.
    I can feel careers ending as I watch.
    Oh yeah, it's painful. But those people deserve it for fucking up this badly.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Truth. Just because I can feel it in my waters like a cane fire, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. You burn the cane before the harvest.
  • edited January 2013
    Omg there's a double-length version of the Portlandia "Brunch Village" episode.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2013
    Well, last I checked it was $325k every time you say "fuck" on tv. Everything else only costs them reputation.
    LAND OF THE FREE, FREE SPEECH OR YOU GONNA GET SHOT, PAY THE COURT A FINE FOR FARTING IN YOUR OWN FUCKING HOME. ALSO TAKE DOWN EVERYTHING, BECAUSE COPYRIGHT MONOPOLY BULLSHIT.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • @Sonic: Did you see the girl reading the teleprompter at the same time as the host? (1:57)

Here's a mirror of the video, by the way, since the YouTube one was removed.
    http://www.mediaite.com/tv/kdoc-los-angeles-had-the-most-spectacularly-disastrous-new-years-special-in-the-history-of-television/
  • edited January 2013
    Perez Hilton is claiming that it's a hoax (Jamie Kennedy used to have a Punk'd-like prank show), but $325k per fuck makes it a pretty damn expensive prank.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited January 2013
    @Sonic: Did you see the girl reading the teleprompter at the same time as the host? (1:57)
    Yeah, but that's not KDOC's fault, so I didn't count it.
    Perez Hilton is claiming that it's a hoax (Jamie Kennedy used to have a Punk'd-like prank show), but $325k per fuck makes it a pretty damn expensive prank.
    Yeah, I don't buy that for a minute.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I think the Farm Sim video is the best of that theme, really. It's kind of hard to beat.

2FAST2FURIOUS
  • One of my favorites:

Might have to make separate montage parody thread.
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah, I don't buy that for a minute.
    Me either. Half the time with Perez(and other gossip magazines), EXCLUSIVE might as well simply be switched with "COMPLETELY MADE UP" or "I HEARD SOMEONE SAYING SOMETHING LIKE THIS AT THE COFFEE SHOP".

Also, Hilltop Hobbits.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Awesome documentary about the most terrifying drug on earth: Scopolamine.

• Awesome documentary about the most terrifying drug on earth: Scopolamine.
    I was not expecting that last victim story to take the turn it did. That drug is seriously terrifying.
  • I'm having a hard time finding any reference to Scopolomine outside it's medical use.
  • edited January 2013
    Awesome documentary about the most terrifying drug on earth: Scopolamine.
    I was not expecting that last victim story to take the turn it did. That drug is seriously terrifying.
    Scopolamine actually does have a lot of legitimate uses. It's more-or-less the best anti-nausea drug in existence, and it's showing some real promise for depression and bipolar disorders. The problem in Colombia stems from the ease of acquisition; you can't really get scopolamine in any form other than a transdermal patch (even in a medical setting, it's almost never given via IV push) outside of Colombia, and there's a very good reason for that.
    I'm having a hard time finding any reference to Scopolomine outside it's medical use.
    Journal source, but you need to know some Spanish. Notably, 1:5 hospital admissions for acute poisoning in Bogota are related to scopolamine. Also, I find it hard to imagine that Vice would make something like that up. There's a lot of fucked-up stuff for them to cover (like Krokodil abuse in Siberia) without flying to Colombia to fabulize a story.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • is it worse than Krokodil?
  • edited January 2013
    Heh, just linked that in my edit. The main difference is that krokodil is consensual and terrifying because people choose to use it as an escape. Scopolamine is used mainly by Colombian criminals on unsuspecting individuals to facilitate crimes by "manufacturing consent," as it were. The cabbie/insane drug dealer said it best; there's only three uses for pure scopolamine: murder, robbery, and research.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited January 2013
    I'd like to meet that crazy drug dealer. I feel like we'd get along.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I don't want to watch the Vice thing at work, what's the quick version of what Krokodil is? All I've seen about it was the little one-sentence blurb about it in Far Cry, which said that it is somehow responsible for limb loss.
  • I don't want to watch the Vice thing at work, what's the quick version of what Krokodil is? All I've seen about it was the little one-sentence blurb about it in Far Cry, which said that it is somehow responsible for limb loss.
    Lifted from wikipedia:
    The high associated with krokodil is akin to that of heroin, but lasts a much shorter period. While the effects of heroin use can last four to eight hours, the effects of krokodil don't usually extend past one and a half hours, with the symptoms of withdrawal setting in soon after. Krokodil takes roughly 30 minutes to an hour to prepare with over-the-counter ingredients in a kitchen.[10] Since the home-made mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users.
  • Neat, I was hoping for something other than what I can get from a quick Wikipedia scouring, like what WUP's been providing for other drugs, but that's useful too.
  • That's a good video. I'm sending it to my old Linguistics professor right now.
  • "The government uses its language men to make people think guns are bad!!!!"
  • edited January 2013
    That's a decent video, but it has a two problems, to my eye:

"Let's go back to before the Iraq war, and the GREAT label that the bush administration came up with, it was Weapons of mass Destruction."

Ah, actually the term was first recorded in 1937 - before GWB was even born - as used by the Bishop of Canterbury. It was also used in communiques from Truman, and by Robert J Oppenheimer, Kennedy, and that exact phrase is used in legislation that was passed while GWB was halfway through his first degree, at Yale. So, while this bloke's idea makes sense, his example is absolutely flawed, as it almost entirely hinges on the idea that the term was invented by people employed by the Bush Administration.

Also, his point is a bit of a "Yeah, Duh" kinda thing. Of course people do that. Political speechwriters make a career of it, for fuck's sake. Regular people do it all the time, without really thinking much about it, the media pays close attention to it, advertisers and marketers use it as their bread and butter. There's not some spooky cabal of people deciding what words to use to manipulate your emotions, we're all doing it, all the time.
    Post edited by Churba on