This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Dude tries to take off and land a plane with only flight simulator experience.
    For anybody not willing to skim through a 50+ page thread, here's a video of the event:

For anybody not willing to skim through a 14 minute video, here's the outcome:

He did it.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Well, good on him. Good work, dude.

A lot of people going from home-sim to real flight get distracted or startled by the extra physical sensation of flying. It's loud, it vibrates. You dip the nose too hard, you don't just go "oops" pull up and correct, your stomach tries to leap up your neck like you're on a rollercoaster. The raw physicality is distracting, even frightening. What this bloke has done took a fair bit of guts.
  • Guts, yeah, but I still think he should have done the whole takeoff, not just the fun/scary bits.
  • Guts, yeah, but I still think he should have done the whole takeoff, not just the fun/scary bits.
    For a guy with no flight training or experience, I think it's perfectly acceptable to not ask him to do things that aren't covered by flight simulators, like pre-flight checks, communication with air traffic control, and taxiing the plane.
  • edited February 2013
    The most basic, Free to Play, version of Microsoft Flight covers pre-flight checks and taxiing.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited February 2013
    For a guy with no flight training or experience, I think it's perfectly acceptable to not ask him to do things that aren't covered by flight simulators, like pre-flight checks, communication with air traffic control, and taxiing the plane.
    Second.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • I once saw a tv show which did a similar challenge, with a co pilot sitting beside him ready to take over for safety reasons. The guy took off and flew no problem. Then most of the landing. The co pilot took over about a meter from the runway as the ground effect (I think) caught out the pilot.
  • I once saw a tv show which did a similar challenge, with a co pilot sitting beside him ready to take over for safety reasons. The guy took off and flew no problem. Then most of the landing. The co pilot took over about a meter from the runway as the ground effect (I think) caught out the pilot.
    Yep the guy had spent loads of converting one of his bedrooms into a cockpit. They all seemed to be very impressed that he had made it that far. There was another one about a guy who was transferring to rally after having played a load of simulations, we was ok but not amazing.
  • edited February 2013
    Having watched the data for a few minutes... I'm surprised South America isn't more active, even at this late hour.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I kinda just want this on a giant Minority Report style display.
  • edited February 2013
    Man, I had a pretty good sandwich today. Haloumi grilled with a touch of mind, and some well-smoked ham, just a bit of pepper, it was fucking ace. Seriously, best sandwich I've had in ages. And we created the first functionally 3d microchip.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It's networked two-player Snake.
    It's the shittest snake I've ever played due to massive lag.
  • edited February 2013
    25 Gangnam Style videos in one video:

Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited February 2013
    It's networked two-player Snake.
    Yeah, latency between different continents is a pretty big problem. I expect it works fine for people in the U.S. though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    Yeah, latency between different continents is a pretty big problem. I expect it works fine for people in the U.S. though.
    It's kinda laggy and shaky for me, too. A friend of mine made a local multiplayer Snake game for iOS called Snakez, if you're the sort of person who gets super pumped about Snake.
  • Malala, the girl that was shot for promoting education for females in Pakistan is nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. I hope she wins it, because that'd be a big double middle finger to the Taliban.
  • 25 Gangnam Style videos in one video:
    That must have taken ages to render.
  • He was going to do it in 4K video but his computer ground to a halt. 1080p was pretty much the limit.
  • Indie Rock frontman or random Brooklyn guy?
    The Vancouver version: Crack Shack or Mansion
    Everywhere edition: Steakhouse or Gay Bar?
  • edited February 2013

Perfection.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Is raichu doing gangnam style?