This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• I don't know if this is a Thing, or a Fail.

Go 90's, I guess?

• 2:57 is Blink-182 - I would have seen them in concert a few months ago, if I wasn't saving for PAX.

Only two things I didn't remember though. And most of it's actually not that bad. It even has Ten things I hate about you, which is a fucking great movie.
  • edited April 2013
    It did make some mistakes. The Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure were both released in 1998. True, their North America release was in 1999, but it's Sega and I'm pedantic about it. The video was good, though.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • My thing of the day is simple. Preliminary job offer from the Post Office.
  • It did make some mistakes. The Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure were both released in 1998. True, their North America release was in 1999, but it's Sega and I'm pedantic about it. The video was good, though.
    Eh, it's an American-focused video, what do you expect?

Clearly if Anakin didn't have access to a lightsaber he wouldn't have killed those kids. Or those sand people.
  • Jack, how long are you going to cling to that stupid strawman? Nobody is saying "if we banned all the guns there would no longer be murders" or whatever you have. The point is that the abundance of guns gives people who are violent or who are just fucking insane much more opportunity to commit violent acts.

Ironically, as bad as the prequel trilogy is, in the first movie Anakin basically fails the Jedi equivalent of a psych evaluation. Yet Qui-Gon insists that he must be trained and asks his own apprentice to train him in his dying breath. And then they wonder when the guy who was basically judged to be a high risk gets corrupted and brings about disaster for themselves and billions of people. I think I'd draw more parallels between that and the insistence that everybody must be allowed to buy a gun.
  • edited April 2013
    Not to mention, they knew who each and every Jedi was, and if they had a Lightsaber or not, and it's general features, among plenty of other things. And the organization did it's very best to ensure that each and every Jedi was trained to an adequate standard, certainly before they were allowed to build their own Lightsaber and carry it in public.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Not to mention that we have statistics from countries with strict gun control that proves that it does, in fact, reduce mass killings.

Nobody is blaming the guns for the mass killings; they are blaming the people who use the guns. But since we can't control which thoughts come into your head, we control access to the tools you can use to carry out the crazy ones. There are plenty of other things we regulate for safety reasons, and people don't get nearly as upset. There is a huge difference between controlling access to something and banning it outright.
  • edited April 2013
    Not to mention that we have statistics from countries with strict gun control that proves that it does, in fact, reduce mass killings.
    I would argue that in my country, it's more complex than that, but it's an argument I've already laid out before. Long story short - I don't think Australia should be included in that example*, because it's still pretty easy to go on a rampage here, the tools are still available - people just don't anymore. We even had an attempt at one after the laws came in, with the shooter buying all of his firearms after the new laws were in effect, but that was the last mass shooting incident or attempt we had.

There are also more than a few nations with firearms laws similar to or less restrictive than the US laws in most ways, who have had few to none in the way of mass shootings - So it's not the guns, it's the people, but it's not all people by nationality, it seems that it's predominantly the US.

I don't deny that it plays a part in the US, naturally - it would be a little nonsensical if I was pushing for the types of reform I advocate, if I thought it didn't - I'm merely saying that the situation is more complex, and that it's not necessarily the case that strict gun control laws do reduce mass killings. I would suggest that intelligently constructed laws would be more useful than merely strict laws.

*- Not that you explicitly mentioned us, but let's face it, Strict gun control laws are one of the things we're famous for, and we're the favorite example of pretty much every anti-gun or Moderate person going, in the same way that the Swiss are the favorite example of the Pro-gun people - and similarly, neither are accurately portrayed, but that's a different kettle of fish.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2013
    This man has some skills for sure.

Post edited by Neocloud on
  • I am watching Miami Connection. I know someone else on this forum has to have seen and loved the movie too.

This basically explains it.
  • Clearly if Anakin didn't have access to a lightsaber he wouldn't have killed those kids. Or those sand people.
    Ahem...
  • Holy shit guys

Guillermo Del Toro + HBO team up for live action Monster
    I am extremely happy.

That makes two of us.
  • Holy shit guys

I am extremely happy.

That makes two of us.
    I guess I will be subscribing to HBO again.
  • HOLY SHIT YES!
  • Holy shit guys

YES!

As an aside, I really wish they'd come up with a business model that would allow me to give them money.

• My favorite thing I've written this week -
    (Replying to a comment about Bahlut, and the eating thereof)

"It actually tastes pretty good, it's the texture that gets you. It's great, then you get this little half-hearted crunch that reminds you of exactly what you're eating, and THAT'S when it hits you.

Now, the real nasty stuff is Fried Spiders, from Cambodia. That shit is nasty. I did manage to eat a whole one, but it didn't stay for long, it came back up almost as soon as it all went down, after I wiped a little bit off my chin. I'm not talking little "Hurrrgh, ghhhrrrrgh, hurrrrgh" kind of bursts, either - I'm talking a straight up turbo-chunder, just "BLAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" kind of voiding yourself as hard and fast as possible with a noise like a small, wet foghorn."
  • edited April 2013
    We've recovered a previously thought "unplayable" recording of Alexander Graham Bell's voice, and using modern audio recovery techniques, can hear his voice.

As Bell says in the end of the recording, the record was made in 1885. Holy motherfucking shit, we can hear a recording from nearly 130 years ago. Nobody alive today has ever heard his voice.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • edited April 2013

Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Violence causes video games.
  • Surgeon Simulator with Gavin and Mike, part 2.

• Does anyone else think this looks a lol' bit like Scott?

• Wrong head shape, weaker chin, but not dissimilar.