This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Coldguy said:

For those of you who have a Sling Box, be prepared to use it more often.

I don't think so.

I remember the first thing I did when I got my Galaxy S4 was to look up SlingPlayer in the app store. And then I saw the reviews.

• Sesame Street at it again with movie/show parodies.

• I really don't think a lot of that was actual words. You guys don't seriously talk like that, do you?
  • Rochelle said:

Sesame Street at it again with movie/show parodies.

Rochelle beat me to it.
  • I really don't think a lot of that was actual words. You guys don't seriously talk like that, do you?

Vic, that's offensive. It's not "You guys", it's "Muppets."

• Churba said:

I really don't think a lot of that was actual words. You guys don't seriously talk like that, do you?

Yeah, didn't see the new page.
  • Churba said:

I really don't think a lot of that was actual words. You guys don't seriously talk like that, do you?

Yeah, didn't see the new page.
    I know. But no, we don't all speak like that, but yes, most of it were actual words, and there are plenty of people who talk just like that, and even more who use the words but don't string them together in the same way.
  • edited November 2013
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Why does this keep happening?
  • edited November 2013
    That's literally impossible. A billion bucks worth of nickels is 20 billion nickels, which is about 100,000 tons according to quick back-of-the-envelope math - If you used 30 of the largest dump truck in the world, which can carry 450 tons each, you're still eighty-six thousand five hundred tons short. It's about twelve or thirteen thousand cubic meters of volume. Even if you loaded 18 wheelers up with nickels(the back of this envelope is getting very crowded), you'd need about two thousand of them.

Edit - and a little investigation shows that the story sources from the mexican equivalent of The Onion called "El Deforma." Here's the original, if you can read Spanish.

Double edit - Also, apple has zero legal obligation to take payment in that form, they can refuse it without penalty. Which is a good thing, because if they sat down to count all those nickels, they'd have found themselves short by quite a bit - according to the mint, there's probably not even that many nickels in circulation.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, this has been debunked on this forum in the past.
  • I'm surprised that it keeps popping up. I mean I was skeptical when if posted it but when I found out its like a year old I was flabbergasted.
  • A friend and I in high school thought it was funny to hang around the fantasy section at a book store until someone asked if we needed help then say we were looking for the bible.
  • Really it should be under reference. That's how everyone but the clergy uses it.
  • Greg said:

Really it should be under reference. That's how everyone but the clergy uses it.

They really should have used something like Git to version that thing out. See where all the forks happened, account for all the editions made, etc. Would make keeping track of all the rules of being a good person so much easier.

In all seriousness, though, a project to map the Bible's overall development history in a software like Git would be kind of cool to look through, from a historical standpoint. Quick Google search came up with nothing, unfortunately.
  • Achievements
    Many of us at Redbox Instant by Verizon are avid gamers, and we’ve definitely spent a lot of time trying to unlock Achievements through the years. So, when Microsoft told us we could design Achievements for the Redbox Instant by Verizon app, we started brainstorming possibilities immediately. The Xbox One dynamic Achievements system allows us to regularly launch new Achievements, even after we’ve launched the app, so, the fun never stops! You’ll be able to share and compare Achievements with your friends, too. Some of the Achievements on Redbox Instant by Verizon at launch include:

I’m a Redhead! – Subscribe to the Redbox Instant by Verizon service and then log into the app
    Watch it Later, Gator! – Bookmark three movies on your Xbox One so that you can watch them later
    Our First Date – Watch a full movie and we’ll give you this achievement
    Party like it’s … – Watch nine movies from 1999 (I remember those days…)
    KJ RULEZ! – Watch five movies featuring Kevin James
  • Lt. Chibi said:

In all seriousness, though, a project to map the Bible's overall development history in a software like Git would be kind of cool to look through, from a historical standpoint. Quick Google search came up with nothing, unfortunately.

Other thing is, the text itself hasn't changed much. Most of the revisions of the text itself are so old that they're undocumented. What's changed has been which translations people use. If we could have a historical map of the world that maps out which translations are/were most common, that would be cool, but that data isn't readily available and getting it would require some intense amounts of research.
  • Greg said:

Lt. Chibi said:

Other thing is, the text itself hasn't changed much. Most of the revisions of the text itself are so old that they're undocumented. What's changed has been which translations people use. If we could have a historical map of the world that maps out which translations are/were most common, that would be cool, but that data isn't readily available and getting it would require some intense amounts of research.
    The text itself hasn't changed much? Are you high? There is a whole field of historical study on the changes in the text of the Bible. Read up on Text Criticism some time. It's possible to find the ebook of "The Text of New Testament" online for free.

Though the book is a bit out of date, you can find references in the chapter "The Use of Computers in New
    Testament Textual Criticism" to papers like:

"Transcription and Correction of Texts on Paper Tape: Experiences in Preparing the Latin Bible Text for the
    Computer"

"Determining Variations (in the Greek NT Text) by Computer,"

"The Text of the New Testament and Com puters: The International Greek New Testament Project," Literary and Linguistic Computing

"Multivariate Statistical Analysis for Manuscript Classification,"

"Through a Screen Darkly: Digital Texts and the New Testament,"

While reading that chapter, I thought some of the software mentioned sounded VERY much like Git, though I've never used Git so only know it at a conceptual level.

For example, Collate:

"Collate was developed by Peter Robinson for the collation, analysis and publication of texts preserved in multiple witnesses. The current version of the software can handle up to 2000 versions of a different text. Collate has a regularization tool which can be used to produce a file containing word equivalences without altering the original transcription files. The software uses a light tagging system which can, at a later stage, be converted to XML. Collate can produce output files for paper-based editions or electronic publications."
  • edited November 2013
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • Greg said:

Lt. Chibi said:

The text itself hasn't changed much? Are you high?
    Those are all about translations. I meant that the Aramaic hasn't changed, but most people can't read Aramaic anyway, and I don't know how old the earliest Aramaic manuscripts that still exist even are.
  • edited November 2013
    Greg said:

Greg said:

Lt. Chibi said:

The text itself hasn't changed much? Are you high?
    Those are all about translations. I meant that the Aramaic hasn't changed, but most people can't read Aramaic anyway, and I don't know how old the earliest Aramaic manuscripts that still exist even are.
    Only a TINY part of the Bible is Aramaic, and not even an entire book! A bit of Daniel, a bit of Ezra... and what?

The Old Testament was otherwise written in Hebrew. The New Testament was written in Greek.

The point is that before the printing press, all copies were made by hand. This introduced many, many, many differences between the same texts in the same language, intentionally or not.

Before someone does a modern translation from Greek, they have to prepare a Greek "edition" of the New Testament. This included looking through many, many, many documents to decide which of them is least changed from the original. A Git-like program to help with this is exactly what the chapter in that book describes.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited November 2013

For example, Collate:

"Collate was developed by Peter Robinson for the collation, analysis and publication of texts preserved in multiple witnesses. The current version of the software can handle up to 2000 versions of a different text. Collate has a regularization tool which can be used to produce a file containing word equivalences without altering the original transcription files. The software uses a light tagging system which can, at a later stage, be converted to XML. Collate can produce output files for paper-based editions or electronic publications."

That is exactly the kind of thing that I imagined would be required. Pretty sweet.

Really, my only interest in the "translations" would be to see the extent to which the attitudes of the time it was written in changed the text's itself. It's amusing to watch the evolutionary progress of a religion famous for denying evolution's existence. :3
    Post edited by Lt. Chibi on
  • Don't ask me how I happened on this but this might be the mightiest Fedora on all the interwebs.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/fedora_lover69
  • Dromaro said:

Don't ask me how I happened on this but this might be the mightiest Fedora on all the interwebs.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/fedora_lover69

Also the fakest.

• Steroid created muscles are still "real".
  • Yes, because unlike this chap in the profile, they actually exist.