This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• This XKCD is relevant to my interests.

• It is amazing how far lighting technology has come. I remember having a Maglite that took three D-cell batteries, and my dad had a five cell one. Now I've got a flashlight smaller than my hand that is brighter than the five cell Mag.
  • I have a Surefire EB2 that I use daily, I cannot imagine going back.

If you are familiar with the AvE YouTube channel he is making a DIY flashlight kit for the Patreon people. It is going to be a 75 watt evaporation cooled lithium ion powered beast. He already has a square shape working prototype.
  • Yeah its pretty crazy. I mean my original Mini Maglite was like 14 lumens and I remember how impressed it was when I got the LED dropin that brought it up to like 30 lumens. Then my new LED Mini Maglite was like 75 lumens and LED D cell at like 130 lumens and those seemed bright as shit but now I have a little single AA Thrunite that pumps out more than both. Its crazy that you can get a little $3 Ultrafire that's brighter than an old D cell Maglite from 10 years ago.

I've got an Olight S30 at 1000 lumens coming if they'll ever ship the damn thing. I would like to eventually try doing my own builds once I'm better at soldering and have better tools. I've seen some cool builds like a cutdown Mini Maglite running on a Li-on 14500 with whatever crazy bright LED.

Seriously though if you're still using some old plastic Rayovac or whatever, even a $5 chinese flashlight from ebay is a big upgrade.

• Tomoko Kaneda goes mad when she is scared.
  • I've got a ToTD that I'm not going to use on GeekNights, but it takes quite a few videos in order for someone to understand it.

There is this KPop group called GFriend. When they first appeared I was all like blech. You can see why here.

The song is kinda catchy, but otherwise it's such a cliche innocent schoolgirl concept. Like ew, gross. Also, I think the person who runs their company is someone who worked with SNSD back in the day. That makes sense because their debut was so similar to SNSD's debut song and concept, which you can see here.

Ok, so whatev. Time passed and GFriend came back with another song.

Pretty much just a direct sequel to their first release. Meeeeh.

And then this happened.

Yeah, if you mess up during a performance, the professional thing to do is keep going. But with a wet stage like that, I think it's hazardous enough to simply not perform until it's taken care of. Needless to say, this got a lot of attention. At least they didn't attempt their trademark vaulting maneuver.

Then they showed up on this show I really like, Weekly Idol. It has a section of the show where they make idols do their choreography, but they keep changing the music constantly. Most groups fail catastrophically. You can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the number of perfect performances. So how did GFriend do?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn son. If that doesn't seem impressive, just search on YouTube for any other random dances and watch people fail so hard.

So anyway, I still don't like GFriend's concept, but they earned some serious respect.

What TotD could this possibly be building up to?

THE BEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH

• Camera feed from a self-driving car.

• I wonder whose car, since it's sure as fuck not google's.
  • Belliger said:

I have a Surefire EB2 that I use daily, I cannot imagine going back.

If you are familiar with the AvE YouTube channel he is making a DIY flashlight kit for the Patreon people. It is going to be a 75 watt evaporation cooled lithium ion powered beast. He already has a square shape working prototype.

I've considered getting in on that since AvE makes the best videos pertaining to the mechanical things this side of Clickspring, but is his skookum-ass flashlight really going to chooch that hard?
  • Churba said:

I wonder whose car, since it's sure as fuck not google's.

I think it's Tesla, but don't quote me on that.
  • Banta said:

Churba said:

I suspect the same, but under those conditions, it's not driving itself - there's a human driving, even if that's a feed from the self-driving camera. But, it might also be BMW or Volvo, both of whom have their own versions, and plausible reasons for cruising around in Paris.

Also, Pretty sure that street is Rue de Paris. I stayed at a hotel just around the corner from there, IIRC, one street further on the right.
  • Oldschool MIDI files at work

• SWATrous said:

I've considered getting in on that since AvE makes the best videos pertaining to the mechanical things this side of Clickspring, but is his skookum-ass flashlight really going to chooch that hard?

I think it's going to chooch pretty damn hard. When he lit it off for about 1 second in his well illuminated garage his wife exclaimed "I can't see anything, all I see is spots" to wit he said "perfect". He also ran over it with a car to verify it was skookum enough.

At first he said it would be a self assemble kit. But in the last 'vidgeo he mentioned people not being able to machine their own square O ring grooves so it would be round in the final iteration. So it sounds like more a materials and plans kit and people will need at least a mill. Which is okay for me because I wanted a excuse to buy one anyway, but I think it will preclude a lot of people from being able to make it.

• Churba said:

Banta said:

Churba said:

I suspect the same, but under those conditions, it's not driving itself - there's a human driving, even if that's a feed from the self-driving camera. But, it might also be BMW or Volvo, both of whom have their own versions, and plausible reasons for cruising around in Paris.

Also, Pretty sure that street is Rue de Paris. I stayed at a hotel just around the corner from there, IIRC, one street further on the right.
    Pretty sure Tesla's only designed theirs for highway driving, though, and they don't have a presence there to test from. BMW and Volvo would make more sense.
  • >Pretty sure Tesla's only designed theirs for highway driving, though, and they don't have a presence there to test from. BMW and Volvo would make more sense.

No, right now they have it as an assist for highway only, but they're working on getting it working in more complex environments. How successful they'll be, I don't know - while it's Musk's dislike of LIDAR for the application that puts them as the first self driving car on the market(albeit a limited one), it's also what very much holds them back from operating safely in a city environment. Not that it stops you, if you try to make it work in a city environment, but on your head be it.

As for presence there to test - they can test anywhere there's Tesla dealerships, or failing that, anywhere they can get Tesla cars. Their self-driving gig is 100% software, the hardware is already present in the P85 as standard.
  • This is cute, bordering on adorable.
    http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25434075

Searching for it yielded no results, but lead to this.
  • Love Language, a dating sim that teaches you Japanese.
  • The Saxxys just finished, here's the winner. Well deserved.

• edited November 2015
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • ThatGent said:

This is cute, bordering on adorable.
    http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25434075

Searching for it yielded no results, but lead to this.

Apparently it's form a game called Yume Nikki. Also, I can't stop re-watching that second video.
  • The guy who made the Pony.Mov animations did one for FNAF:
  • I meant finding that particular video on youtube, but yeah.

• My favourite guitarist of all time, from one of my favourite bands of all time reading one of my favourite books of all time.
    In a Japanese park.