This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
I was wondering about this today. Ten years ago I coulnd;t have imagine that I would be living in USA. Ten years ago I had my whole future already planed I thought that I would finish my high school in Peru and then I thought that I would start and finish medical school in Peru. For a while my future was uncertain but now, that I have adquired my green card I believe that I can do things I cound't do before and I gave myself some goals and be able to acomplishe them within the next 10 years.
I would be out of medical school and I would be paying my loans. But once I finish I want to travel around the world since I speak two languages I guess I would be of some help in different developing countries. I definately do not want stay in one place for the rest of my life. I like peace and I love to be with my family but everyones that family is where the love is, and my family will always be in my heart.
So where you do you guys think you all will be in ten years from now?

Comments

• 10 years ago I was practicing law but in a different area. 10 years from now I suspect I will still be practicing law and 10 years after that and so on, probably until they carry me out in a box. But what kind of law? Who knows?
  • With some help from my mom, I've come up with this:

I'd be finishing up with college, my major would be English Lit., and my minor Computer Science. I would have a part time job in a book store or music store, but be applying for bigger and better jobs, either in music, TV, or film. I'd be living in an apartment and I'd have a room-mate, who'd most likely be a girl, but we'd be friends not friends with benefits. Uhm... I'd probably still have my big, curly hair, but no facial hair. Still wearing the same clothing style of jeans, a plain t-shirt, and skate shoes. And, I think that's about it.
  • 10 years ago I was just going into 7th grade and was dreaming of becoming an animator. Right now I'm in college to fulfill that dream.

10 years from now I will have achieved that dream and will live in a cool apartment. I'll probably dress really chic and adult instead of FRUiTS and punk like now. I'll either be in a relationship by then or married. No kids yet, but I also dream of being a mom and married.
  • I will be teaching! I hope a pre-engineering course like Computer Integrated Manufaturing, Engineering Seminar, or Digital Electronics. I also hope to run after school programs such as an Anime Club, or a Linux/UNIX/BeOS/Alternative OS Club. I'm not sure what else. In that time I need to find a place that I'd like to live and work in, and Something to get a Masters in.
  • I refuse to assign myself to any sort of time table.
    Who said anything about assigning. I thought this was about just saying how you WANT to be in ten years. Really there's no telling what could happen. Hell, I might not make it to ten years. If it turns out the way I said above then awesome. If not then that's what back up plans are for. If there's no back up, wing it. Plus sometimes its fun in the process.
  • In ten years, I want to be writing and directing films. Hopefully, by this time, I've got around to writing and finishing my book.
  • 10 years from now I will be old.  :(
  • Dead, working, or hobo-ing.
  • Waiting for the beta of Team Fortress 3 to be activated.
  • Doin' your... kid?
  • Doin' your... kid?

Rym as a child rapist... this had never crossed my mind.
  • I have no idea. Hopefully living in the USA, with a nice, good paying job in CS or IT or something similar.

Not much wishing for besides that.
  • Doin' your... kid?

Haha, funny. I forget where this is from.. The Simpsons?
  • Doin' your... kid?

Haha, funny. I forget where this is from.. The Simpsons?
    Family Guy! Awesome reference!
    Agreed. I don't really want to give myself a "guidline" here, as to where I WANT to be. Where I think I'll be? I honestly have no idea.

I'm really not even sure exactly what I want to be yet. I have an idea of what I want to get involved with, but no major plans.
  • Ten years ago, it was 1997, and I had just begun my sophomore year of high school.  I still played MMOs, didn't have a driver's license yet, and watched any and all anime I could get my hands on.  I had infinite free-time and zero responsibility.  I wasn't quite an atheist yet (but I'd never been a christian).  I still trolled usenet and IRC.  I used ICQ, and chatted frequently with my "Internet friends."
    I practically lived on my bike, riding every single day after school, sometimes for a good twenty miles long into the night.  I'd often stop to explore parks I'd run across, and a few times I just slept outside somewhere.  I biked more than I played videogames, if you can believe that.
    In school, I'd been bored, so I started taking night classes at the local community college (stoichiometry, and then organic chemistry) in order to convince the school to let me skip chemistry and go straight to AP Biology and physics.  I worked hard at school, in the sincere belief that it would matter someday.
    More to the point, I worked hard in no particular direction: I simply worked hard.  I trained my body, but to no clear end.  I trained my mind, but for no direct purpose beyond "get the grades, get the AP credits, go to college, etc...)  I pursued my every interest as far as I was able, running headlong in every single direction at all times. I played my horn as though I were going to do it professionally.  I studied biology as though I were going to be a scientist.  I threw myself at audio engineering and mixing.  I studied French like I was going to live there.  I worked hard for the Quiz Bowl team.  I played Hearts and Chess against myself just to practice against an opponent who could read my mind.  I didn't just play FPSs, I trained at FPSs.
    In a way, it was a lot like how I rode my bike.  I ranged over ever-increasing areas, but I never got particularly far in any one direction before I felt incomplete.  Any time I did, I felt the need to push out in every other direction equally.  The further I pushed out, the thinner I was being forced to spread myself.  One can have breadth, and one can have depth: one can have both, but never in fullness and not without cost.  The wider I pushed my circle, the more work it took to continue widening it.  The radius of the circle was becoming more and more limited by the constraints of what I could manage for the area. 
    The only reason I was able to maintain a circle so large in the first place was the total lack of any real responsibility to anyone but myself in my life.  I had no economic or practical concerns: only personal ones.
    In the ten years to follow, I learned quite a bit.  I focused my energies, min/maxxed my efforts, and began setting real, clear goals.  In ten years, I was able to secure four of Maslow's needs handily, and made a great deal of headway on the fifth and final one.  In ten years, I made almost all of my long-term goals.  I turned my impossible circle into a handful of rays radiating out from my original circle.
    If I've accomplished so much in the previous ten years, let alone in the past year, I can't imagine what I'll have done in another ten.  ALL of my long-term goals are much nearer than a decade out, even the more outlandish ones, and I believe that all of them are achievable.  Ten years is simply too far to predict: I'm too ambitious.
  • Wow. That was rather inspiring.
  • Rym, conqueror of realms?
  • I agree with Sneaks. It was inspiring.

I was able to secure four of Maslow's needs

What are Maslow's needs? I never heard of that.
  • edited September 2007
    Post edited by snookernet on
  • Maslow's Hierarchy is something I studied while doing my master's for teaching. I'm surprised people outside of the area psychology know/care about it.
  • We learned about it in high school.
  • Maslow's Hierarchy is something I studied while doing my master's for teaching. I'm surprised people outside of the area psychology know/care about it.That was a huge part of my sociology classes in high school, not to mention my literature classes.  It came up a few times in biology, and was really hammered in cultural anthropology.   It also played heavily into PTC (Professional Technical Communication) at RIT, particulary in the classes on pursuasion and small group theory.
  • I can see it being used in all of those. Makes sense.
  • edited September 2007
    That's funny, because I have never had an anthropology class in which Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs was mentioned, and that is my major. I can anticipate what kind of criticisms could be brought against it, though. I wonder what my mentor would say about this - I'll have to ask her about it.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • That's funny, because I have never had an anthropology class in which Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs was mentioned, and that is my major.It was brough up as a discussion.  We were asked to consider whether or not it, were it valid, could account for certain cultural traits or depression rates/happiness levels in certain peoples that were similar in character but had access to varying levels of resources.  Say, were people in a better-off tribe on average less happy due to the lack of a need to fulfill lower needs and lack of ability to fulfill higher ones?  Or are the "happiness level" studies just bunk?  Can leaders deny certain lower needs to psychologically deter their people seeking higher levels?
    I believe the concensus of the class was that we really can't easily quantify the motivations of people so easily as to use the hierarchy as a predictive model for a society as a whole.
  • In ten years I'll likely have no life and a few kids. Then it changes to Maslow's Hierarchy of [Your Kids'] Needs
  • In ten years I'll likely have no life and a few kids.
    You make it sound like you have to have kids. If it doesn't excite you, why have them?
  • In ten years I'll likely have no life and a few kids.
    You make it sound like youhaveto have kids. If it doesn't excite you, why have them?
    This is another thread entirely.

I may participate in a "Kids?" thread but basically, I'm of the opinion that smart men don't want children and women seem to have an unidentified genetic/social predisposition towards wanting children and they just can't fight this urge (much like obesity). I also am of the philosophy that two people in a serious relationship should support each other in life decisions, even if they don't exactly match up. I'm not seriously adverse to having my own little geeks running around, so more likely then not, I will have them. Not now, but eventually I'm sure.