This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pen, Pencil or Funtain Pen?

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
What do you use to write?
I personally decided to go with fountain pen to practice my calligrafy and I also use pencils to draw and to do math.

Comments

• I prefer pencils for most day to day stuff. It's easier to make corrections.

I prefer gel pens for signing official stuff, like checks and whatnot.
  • Keyboard.
  • Keyboard.
  • When I need to write by hand, I always use pen. Other than that, keyboard.
  • edited October 2007
    I prefer gel pens for signing official stuff, like checks and whatnot.
    When I was taking a lot of physics and math in undergrad, I wouldn't dream of using anything besides a pencil.

When I was in law school, I wouldn't dream of using anything besides a fountain pen.

When I was actually practicing and I needed to sign a lot of carbon documents, I wouldn't dream of using anything besides a gel pen.

Gel pens are great. They write as smoothly as fountain pens or roller balls, but they don't smudge and you can press hard enough to sign carbon flimsy docs.
    When I need to write by hand, Ialwaysuse pen. Other than that, keyboard.
    You'd have to be pretty confident to do math with a pen.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Did I say gel pen? I meant urine stream. I get those two confused all the time.
  • edited October 2007
    One time - SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE - I received a letter from a client in prison written in crayon.

Sometimes a thimble full of blood and a quill was sufficient for contracts.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If you wouldn't write it I would not believe that a document like that hold in court.
  • One time - SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE - I received a letter from a client in prison written in crayon.I guess they didn't trust him with a pen or pencil.
  • *snickers* I feel kinda unoriginal, but pencil. Occasionally, an exact-o knife helps a lot in my artsy stuff. I have a love for cutting things. Um. Yes. Mechanical pencil = love.
  • You'd have to be pretty confident to do math with a pen.
    No, it's just it really bothers me to write with pencil. It's almost like nails on a chalkboard if the pencil isn't the sharpest it could be. My math tests look like fucking hell, but alas, this is my curse.
  • edited October 2007
    One time - SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE - I received a letter from a client in prison written in crayon.I guess they didn't trust him with a pen or pencil.

I love Serenity :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Pen or keyboard.
  • You'd have to be pretty confident to do math with a pen.No, it's just it really bothers me to write with pencil. It's almost like nails on a chalkboard if the pencil isn't the sharpest it could be. My math tests look like fucking hell, but alas, this is my curse.

I'm exactly like that, I hate writing with a pen and all of my teachers hate me for that, so I guess the curse is on them.
  • By hand? Almost always pencil, if I can get away with it.  Pens move too easily for me - it makes my handwriting significantly less neat (or at least that's how i feel about them). 
  • No, it's just it really bothers me to write with pencil. It's almost like nails on a chalkboard if the pencil isn't the sharpest it could be. My math tests look like fucking hell, but alas, this is my curse.
    Agreed. I remember a time in class, don't know which equivelant grade, but age 8-9, where we got paper and charcoal. Yeah, drawing. CRAP. Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE NOISE O.< My ears wanted to bleed!

And I be lame. Pen on paper, keyboard for most.
  • I do crossword puzzles in pen. Pencils are teh suck.

I have to concur about gel pens rocking the house.
  • I prefer to use a keyboard. Next up is a good pencil. Last place is where I put pens.
  • I need to use pencil in AP Calc class. It would be an epic fail if I didn't.

Otherwise I prefer to use pen. My number one preference would be the keyboard, but I can really only use it for typing up notes after I've already copied them.
  • One time - SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE - I received a letter from a client in prison written in crayon.
    There ain't nothing wrong with crayon; waterproof and nutritious. I would like to see some kind of professional executive writing crayon.
  • I use a rolling ball pen a vast majority of the time (when I'm not using the oft-mentioned keyboard), preferably with extra-fine (0.5) tips. When I use pencils, they have to be sharp as fuck or they bug me in a nails-on-a-chalkboard kinda way.
  • Pencil, keyboard only if necessary.
  • I like those Tul pens you can get at Office Max.
  • Since my notes in school are looked at and marked by my teachers I basically only write with the Faber-Castell Grip Ball 1424. With this pen I can write fast and my writing still remains readable. For diagrams and such I do use an extremely sharp pencil because everything else gives me that "scratching on the chalk board" feeling.
  • I use pencil only for Math and when taking tests. For everything else (notes and writing things that would normally make a pencil dull), pen and/or keyboard.

I don't use fountain pens because I haven't had one in 7 years. :(
  • I use a 0.7 Mechanical Pencil for most of my writing/drawing, because on the right paper, I can draw really softly or really dark, and smudge all the leftover lead-powder.

If I'm gonna be inking a picture, writing something "important" for English or something like that, I always use Gel Pens, cause they are teh win.

And, I've only used a fountain pen once, and I did not like it. At all.
  • I had to use fountain pens in school for 5 years.
  • Ihadto use fountain pens in school for 5 years.
    o.O

That seems like it sucked.
  • edited October 2007
    It real improved my hand writing, but the second day of using a normal/ gel pen ruined it.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on