This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071009 - Team Fortress 2: Final Thoughts

clxclx
edited October 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we say our piece about Team Fortress 2 and be done with it. In the news, Rym has a GeekBite, and Crysis.

Scott’s Thing - The Renaissance is nice, but Rome still stands
Rym’s Thing - Black Scottish Cyclops OR Father Frags Best

Comments

• Sorry if I shouldn't have made the topic, but I needed to comment. ^_^

First off, Scott. You say "That's one things that's really hurting pc gaming in the US"... But PC gaming is pretty much equal all over the world, 99% of main stream games get released all over the world (apart from Australia who seem to get everything 3 months after everyone else) So doesn't it effect all pc gaming?

Regarding Team Fortress 2, you both came off rather cock sure of yourselves, to the point where you pretty much said, when ever you join a server, your team will win. Now I am 100% sure you are above the average skill level of most gamers on TF2, but you must either play on the n00bies of n00b servers, practically empty servers, or you are both clones of Fatal1ty.
    I agree with sudden death being rather badly done in capture the point maps. Most times when it comes to sudden death its either because of 1 of 2 things. Either both teams are perfectly evenly matched, neither can make head way and its a constant battle for a single point. In that case Sudden death solves nothing as it turns into a camping match between engineers, as neither will leave their SG's.
    The alternative is that for Capture Points matches, one team will push the other all the way back to the last point but will be unable to take that last point because of overwhelming defence but the defenders cant push forward. After this, sudden death wont tell you who is the better team, its just a frag fest. In most peoples opinions the team that pushed back the other team are better, its just the game mechanics + the skill level of everyone on the server has produced an un-ending game.
  • Regarding Team Fortress 2, you both came off rather cock sure of yourselves
    Did you really expect anything else?

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I have found that it really comes down to whether people are using voice chat at all. If they are, they usually win, if they don't they lose because there is no organized effort.
  • Voice chat is by default open to all, so both teams hear each other, it is possible to switch it to team only, but apparently its a bit buggy and usually doesn't work (according to a server admin I know who runs a server hosting company) so voice chat doesn't really make much of a difference (unless you are using a program outside of the game such as Team Speak or Ventrillo)

Oh, and no, I didn't expect anything else :P Maybe just not as straight out statement saying when you join a map your team wins because of you.
  • What would be cool is if the Spy is able to hear the enemy team audio if they are in disguise near the enemy HQ.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2007

Regarding Team Fortress 2, you both came off rather cock sure of yourselves, to the point where you pretty much said, when ever you join a server, your team will win. Now I am 100% sure you are above the average skill level of most gamers on TF2, but you must either play on the n00bies of n00b servers, practically empty servers, or you are both clones of Fatal1ty.
    Fatal1ty wouldn't be much better than most any random player in TF2: his skills are useless there.

The problem is simple:  the game is so distilled that there is not room for a gradient of skill.  A poor player is worse than a good player, and a good player is worse than a great player, but there is no such thing as a player greater than a great player.  The skill caps out.  There are no subtle differences in play at the high level.  Once you get to the point where everyone on a team attains that largely maximal level of skill, then the only determining factors in victory are the broad tactical decisions of the team and the same of the oponent's team.  It becomes an offense/defense rock/paper/scissors situation.
    Compared to MegaTF or Weapons Factory, this game is trivial to be good at.  That's probably its greatest strength, but it also causes problems.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • but you must either play on the n00bies of n00b servers, practically empty servers,All the low ping servers are full all the time.  I've played maybe two or three games total with less than the full loadout of players.
    As for n00bs, most of the players in the game are almost totally ineffectual.  Basic things like shooting at possible spies or not building a turret in the open elude them.  Enemy snipers take more than a second to lock on to a headshot.  Pyros rush the midfield.  Medics, if they even know they can ubercharge in the first place, blow their wad prematurely at the first sign of trouble.  Entire teams leave their flags undefended.  Good players are rare.
  • Wow... Sounds like you have had some bad experiences on servers in TF2, have you tried using filters? so you only see servers in your area etc?
    I'm probably lucky, I found a nice 32 man server that is full of pretty good players, and has become well known for it. Wait times to log on are up to 10 to 15 minuets at times, so I simply go play on random servers, hit ` click to play on a server I know is good and select "auto join me when a space is available" and then just play on until I switch. (in fact most servers I randomly pick have a nice mix of decent and not so decent players)
    I think you may need to do the same, find a nice server that you like which has a nice map rotation, decent ping, and most importantly, a good set of semi-regular players that have "skill"
  • But PC gaming is pretty much equal all over the world, 99% of main stream games get released all over the world (apart from Australia who seem to get everything 3 months after everyone else) So doesn't it affect all pc gaming?
    The US market is so much larger than most other markets that most companies care about it and only it.  The US and certain parts of Southeast Asia account for the vast majority of the money in gaming, so all of the effort is there.  A game that sells well there sold well.  A game that doesn't sell well there, even if it was a smash hit in Australia, Germany, Finland, and Mexico, won't make a dime.
  • I think you may need to do the same, find a nice server that you like which has a nice map rotation, decent ping, and most importantly, a good set of semi-regular players that have "skill"That doesn't solve the problem.  When there are "skilled" players, then the game will always be a stalement.    There's no room for growth beyond a certain, low point.   Our point wasn't that we're so awesome, our point was that it won't be long before everyone is equally awesome.  The game will be pretty stupid at that point.
    I found a nice 32 man server that is full of pretty good players,The 32 man game is so broken I could cry.  With that many players, skill matters even less than it does with 24.
  • I found a nice 32 man server that is full of pretty good players.
    To get a server to allow 32 players requires certain hackery on the server side. Also, it completely breaks the game. The maps are so small, that with 32 players, a lot of the game mechanics completely break down. With 16 players on a team in such a small map, a few average and coordinated players can setup an absolutely invincible defense against a full on coordinated assault of the best players in the world. The maps are designed with 24 players maximum in mind. The maps are designed with that in mind.

And as for "having bad experiences". We've both been playing the game since the beta started. We've played it a lot. On a lot of different servers. It's not a case of bad experiences. Our opinion of the game has nothing to do with the people playing. They are things we have observed in the game itself.
  • Will there be larger maps in the future?
    Oh, how I want this.  I want the massive maps of old.  I want my little dude to feel insignificant before the architecture.
    I'm positive there will be more maps from Valve as well as fans in the future. As for the quality and size of those maps, I am no time traveler.
  • Oh, how I want this. I want the massive maps of old. I want my little dude to feel insignificant before the architecture.
    I'm sure this will come in time. I'm wondering if the game seems solved because of poor map design? A lot of the maps were copied straight from old TF games, especially ctf_2fort, so when they changed the dynamics of the gameplay, the maps negatively affected the game. Perhaps new maps will be catered to the new, slower paced style of the game, maximizing the use of the new dynamics.
  • Any word on map building tools?
  • clxclx
    edited October 2007
    Any word on map building tools?
    I have played on 2 custom maps so far, one was clearly made by a sniper for snipers, the other felt way to big with even 24 players. Everyone was running for ages and just lead to pointless surges backwards and forwards between 2 points when re-enforcements arrived.
    Give it time, The HL2 community will bring out some nice maps yet ;)
    Post edited by clx on
  • Any word on map building tools?
    The Source SDK map building tools. Same engine as HL2, CS: Source, etc.
  • So, if I pick up the Orange Box I can start making maps?

Is map building anything like building wad files for Doom where you draw lines and such via a GUI or is it something where you make a contour map and then drop pre-designed buildings all over the place? Or something in between?

I can think of some amazing tactical comabt simulations I took part in while in the military with concrete buildings, sewers and the like that I could convert to a TF2 map.
  • So, if I pick up the Orange Box I can start making maps?
    AFAIK you can install Steam for free and start building maps. Though, you might need to buy TF2 to actually make TF2 maps as opposed to generic source engine maps. You will need access to the textures and such.
    Is map building anything like building wad files for Doom where you draw lines and such via a GUI or is it something where you make a contour map and then drop pre-designed buildings all over the place? Or something in between?
    It is ludicrously difficult to actually make polished high quality maps. People go to college to learn how to use programs like 3D Studio Max or Maya, and they still can't make nice maps. The map making tools are getting better, but they are still shit. The process is very similar to 3D modeling, only more painful because you actually need to program the model to work as a map. I'm just talking about making the map here, designing the map is also hard. There is a reason that map designers are paid big money and work long hours for the big boys.
    I can think of some amazing tactical combat simulations I took part in while in the military with concrete buildings, sewers and the like that I could convert to a TF2 map.
    That would be cool. Although, I don't know if they would be the best fit for TF2. Perhaps try them for Counter-Strike or that fanboy Insurgency mod.
  • As long as the framework is good you can at least play test a map if some of the textures do not match correctly.

Is there any way to create a tunnel or other structure so that only certain classes can fit? Is the heavy considered a large character and not allowed to go into small places? Or are all character considered to take up the same amount of space in game?

I have no doubt I lack the skill to create polished maps but I'm sure I could cobble together some very playable (yet ugly) maps.
  • Is the heavy considered a large character and not allowed to go into small places?Each player should be able to reach relevant portions of the map, regardless of class. How they reach that portion of the map may differ based on class abilities - Scouts are good at getting into places other classes can't reach.
  • Is the heavy considered a large character and not allowed to go into small places?
    Each player should be able to reach relevant portions of the map, regardless of class.Howthey reach that portion of the map may differ based on class abilities - Scouts are good at getting into places other classes can't reach.
    Yes. I do not think there are any holes that people can't reach because of their size. There are, however, place that are difficult to reach, or paths that are difficult to take, due to height. Scouts and people with explosives, like the soldier, have a much easier time of getting onto roofs and ledges than say, medics.
  • So, is it possible to create maps with areas that are designed so that only certain classes can easily make use of them?

Sewers would be great but I can see an Engineer just putting some sort of sentry cannon there to guard it. Such a bottleneck would go mostly unused because of that. If you had a tunnel system that was exit only into some rooms (exit set high on wall so no one can enter it) that might make for interesting game play.

Can scenery be destroyed in game? Can you blow up a wall or remove a grill that blocks access to an area? How interactive is the map?
  • So, is it possible to create maps with areas that are designed so that only certain classes can easily make use of them?
    It would be possible to create a map in such a way so that only certain classes, or only certain classes working together, would be able to go a certain way. Currently, no maps do this. There is a way for everyone to get everywhere, it just might be easier for some than others.
    Can scenery be destroyed in game? Can you blow up a wall or remove a grill that blocks access to an area? How interactive is the map?
    I know for a fact the game engine is capable of doing all that and more. There is no technological reason that you couldn't do everything the source engine is capable of in TF2. At the present time, however, none of the maps have anything like this. I think the reason is that in a game with respawning in a small map, everything would be destroyed pretty quickly. In a 5 minute game, 4 minutes and 30 seconds would be played on a map where everything was already destroyed. It would be cool, but it wouldn't add to gameplay. A grate on a vent would be broken by the first person to go through, and that would be that. Most players would assume the vent was always open, and not even realize it had a breakable grating.

I think the best way to incorporate meaningful changes to the map during gameplay is the way Natural Selection handles the weld points. There are weld points that require someone to actually do work to them in order to activate them. Once activated they change the map in some permanent way. They might lock a vent shut, open a new tunnel, etc. It takes time and work to get the weld points set, so people will always be able to fight if they don't want a certain map change to happen, e.g: if you were going to burst open the back door to their flag.

Counter-Strike is a better game to have breakable glass, vents, etc. because there is no respawning. Games are quick, and the map resets every round. In a respawning game with no map resets, destructible environments are just flash.
  • Hmm, what about switches? Can you put a switch that opens a door far from a door? You could have a map where you need someone back at HQ to push switches to open and close doors for the rest of the team.

As for the grate, could you make it work like a semi-transparent door? At first glance you might think it was a permanent structure but from the other side it could be pushed open. Such a map would be awesome for the first few plays as you discovered where all of the secrets are but would become old hat after a time.
  • The design you mentioned with the sewers would be fine. Just keep in mind that all classes should be able to reach the relevant portions of the map (all objective points basically). If it's easier for one class to use than another, that's fine. Players will still need to decide between mobility and power.

The environments don't get destroyed like they do in Red Faction, but there are movable portions of the map, namely doors. As far as grills or access panels, it probably depends on the precise reaction you expect from it. I imagine that you could do anything that the source engine can handle (see Half-Life 2 for details).
  • Hmm, what about switches? Can you put a switch that opens a door far from a door? You could have a map where you need someone back at HQ to push switches to open and close doors for the rest of the team.This was common in many Weapons Factory maps back in the Rome days of FPSs. ^_~
    For example, there would be a switch in the floor of one part of your base.  As long as someone was standing on that spot, a door opened from a different part of the base that led to a ventilation shaft DIRECTLY ABOVE THE FLAG.  This led to all sorts of fun.
  • The design you mentioned with the sewers would be fine. Just keep in mind that all classes should be able to reach the relevant portions of the map (all objective points basically). If it's easier for one class to use than another, that's fine. Players will still need to decide between mobility and power.
    I was thinking more on the lines of a narrow trench going across an open field that only a scout could fit in. Or perhaps a door that can only be opened (destroyed) after being hit by a certain weapon (flamer). Or areas with floor switches that operate a lift so that two people have to stand on switches while a third person rides the lift.

All of those features would not need to be used to fight effectively on that map but they would allow for faster/safer movement across the map if the proper amount of teamwork was achieved.
  • You guys mentioned that the art style of TF2 was based on J.C. Leyendecker. He's one of my favorite artists, and I just went to an exhibit last weekend. I took a bunch of surreptitious pictures that someone might find interesting. They're about as hi-res as you're gonna find of Leyendecker's stuff.

http://fetalgrindings.com/leyendecker
  • Wow some good ideas in this tread. I am a 3D modeler as a side buisness and have experience making mods for differnt games. The hammer editor for the steam sdk has improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years. If you never used a program like that before then yes it will be painfull. I am waiting for the TF2 sdk to be released and then I will be making a map for it and I will need you guys to help test it.