This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kingdom Hearts

edited November 2007 in Video Games
What do you guys think of the Kingdom Hearts series? I personally love them and they are some of my favorite games, of course I'm a Disney and Square-Enix nut so... it worked perfectly for me...

Comments

• I didn't finish either of them, but got damn close both times. I borrowed from friends both times, so I didn't get a chance to wrap them. Great action/RPG games.
  • Excellent concept, pretty good execution. The second game got way too anime-ish for me; that is to say, strange and convoluted plots that seem to have been written as they went along. I liked the FF cameos, but they became overbearing in the second game. I can't speak for the gameplay, since I barely played the game at all. I used to live with a guy who wouldn't let you play your own game; he'd just play it for you, more frequently and obsessively than you possibly could. So I became a game spectator.

I'd still like to see (and possibly even play?) a third (major) title.
  • I thought two implemented the Square characters in a much better way than the first game did.
  • It's funny how I got into this game. I never really cared for any of the Final Fantasy games. I never owned a Play Station. I was a Nintendo/Mario girl for life. In one of my past relationships, my boyfriend was an avid RPG player, I bought him Kingdom Hearts as a gift. After a month of having it, he never touched the game, so I started to play it, and I got hooked. I played it on easy and hard mode, got all the accomplishments, bought the soundtrack and what not. Great game.

I tried playing the GBA version, but could never get into it.

I only touched KH2 for like maybe 2 hours. This was during my WoW addiction period, so I pretty much didn't play KH2. Eventually I will play this game, however there are just too many other games that are on the top of my list. ^^;; >.>
  • What were your favorite worlds? Mine was Halloween Town.
  • I would say Halloween Town & Hallow Bastion. Hallow Bastion was just awesome with the background music, it would pump me up because it finally felt like the game was coming to the climax. For Halloween town, I loved the costumes.
  • TRON.

But yeah, you pretty much can't beat Halloween Town and Hollow Bastion. The last level in KH1 was neat, too; simple, but spooky in a cool way.
  • Oh mans! Space Paranoids and Hallow Bastion were great! I also loved Wonderland and Neverland from the first game, I'm sad that they took those worlds out of the second one...
  • The first one was good the second one went to places it should have never gone. Also the second game became more of a smashing game, the first game mechanics were so natural. Also in the second game Zora was not able to fly and to a lot of cool stuff that he was able to do on the first one. Also the story was so much better on the fist one. The second one lacked heart. I was hoping for someone to die or to do something awesome but not, the journey of the hero became into just punch an kick the hollows :(
    Shadow of the Collosus if a much better game :P
  • Decent. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • I didn't finish either of them
    Either = 2. What about Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories?

I myself haven't played either KH1 or KH2, but have played KH:CoM in a GBA emulator. Was nice, never finished it. I find it to be very nice games though, the worlds are beautiful (I have seen KH1 and 2 in action) and the mix of characters is awesome.
  • My problem with KH2 was the whole beginning, but you “gotta keep playin, keep playin'." Also the game was a piece of cake, while the 1st one was more challenging.
    Of course cool Disney characters = win. So yeah I will probably find a way to play the 3rd one.
  • at least it's not "dude this ain't a cutscene! press A! press A!"
    of course, I prefer slightly slower-paced games, and I'm also a total wimp at horror games.

I only have the first game, but I really like the way they work all these familiar, nostalgic characters in the game. I'm actually just about to finally finish it, which would make it the third console RPG I've ever beaten.
  • While I liked the KH games (even the less-than stellar Chain of Memories), I can't help but notice their glaring flaws.

The combat, while cleverly presented in all areas (except the bitch of a camera), suffers from button mash syndrome. While there's some variety tossed in by how you can dodge/cast, most fights amount to either spamming the attack button or alternating between mashing the jump and attack buttons. The only battles that forced me to stay actively on my toes were the Sephiroth fights in both console games. Arguably, KH2's combat system's improvements are questionable as you can hit triangle from time to time to execute "neat tricks". While these are cool once or twice, you they become progressively irritating as their novelty wears off quickly during extended fights. Seeing Sora run up a building isn't neat when I see it for the fifth time.

In KH1, what little I understood of the story was cute. Obviously not award-worthy, but cute. After that, however, things got out of hand and I just gave up.

All the english VAs for the non-original characters were well-done (especially the Disney voices, but the Square ones held up fairly well). However, the actors for Sora, Riku, and Kairi give some of the most uninspired acting i've seen. Sure, the 6th Sense kid was a good choice for that film, but you can't just stick him in any role! 1) This ain't the 6th Sense and 2) He can't act . . . AT ALL.

Level-wise, the KH1 stages were swell appearance-wise. Halloween Town and Hollow Bastion were great-looking in particular. There were issues regarding camera positioning and the periodic unreliability of the platforming elements, however. Monstro, anyone?

Overall, i'd say the series deserves some props for what it's done, but it's legendary status among fans is greatly exaggerated.

On a different note, I find it a bit ironic that the English versions of the Hikaru Utada songs used for the openings were less grating than the original Japanese ones. Passion (aka Sanctuary) made me want to slam my head on my desk.
  • edited November 2007
    Chain of Memories is the shit. As long as you weren't going into it thinking it was going to be anything like the console game, I don't see how one could have been disappointed. And that game had the best graphics of any GBA game, far and away.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Y-axis movement in CoM was iffy at best. The card system was surprisingly well-done, however.
  • Rise my creation! Rise from the dead!

Anyway, I'm playing through 358/2 Days and love the panel system. It's so different from any other stat system I've seen in a game and the idea of equipping levels just blew my mind when it was first presented. What do you guys think about it?

Also, I wonder if Square is going to stick to Kingdom Hearts III being a PlayStation exclusive. It doesn't sound like them to turn down an opportunity to make money and the trend of most of their console games being multi-platform really made me start thinking about it.

One last thing, what the hell happened to Ars Arcanum? Remember that attack from the first game? It was basically the best attack in the game and never really showed up in any of the other games in the series! I miss that attack...
  • As for Ars Arcanum, I believe Spoilers: Xion uses it as an attack in the final boss fight.

I think KHIII might wind up being PS3/360, not just one. I also expect a Wii spinoff someday.

I love the panel system. It's so much fun. Trying out all of the character's different weapons is a blast. There's so many different styles in this game, it's great!
  • edited November 2010
    Kingdom Hearts 3D is going to have all new Disney worlds.

I'm pretty okay with this. The standard worlds are just getting old at this point.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I'm pretty okay with this. The standard worlds are just getting old at this point.
    QFT. I am so sick of Olympus Coliseum and Agrabah and I never want to step foot in Wonderland again after 358/2 Days.

I'm really hoping we get some of the worlds that were dummied out of other games, like the Jungle Book, the Sword in the Stone, and Pinocchio (as in his actual world and not just Monstro).
  • edited November 2010
    I'm really hoping we get some of the worlds that were dummied out of other games, like the Jungle Book, the Sword in the Stone, and Pinocchio (as in his actual world and not just Monstro).
    I really want a Princess and the Frog and a Hunchback of Notre Dame world, along with the ones you said.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I've wanted Princess and the Frog since I saw the movie. I'm also hoping for Duckburg although I know the chances of that are slim to none.
  • I've wanted Princess and the Frog since I saw the movie. I'm also hoping for Duckburg although I know the chances of that are slim to none.
    They surprised us with Space Paranoids and Halloweentown. It isn't out of the realm.
  • Duckburg could be a section of Disney Town/Disney Castle, but you have to wonder if Disney Town was overrun by Heartless and that is why Scrooge and Huey, Dewey, and Louie are in Radiant Garden in Kingdom Hearts II.
  • So, I'm finishing up Terra's portion of Birth By Sleep. I just have to say, I find it funny that I kept expecting Square Bosses every boss, and then it turns out that No, Terra. YOU are the Square Boss. And then Terra was a suit of armour.
  • SPOILARZ
    Yeah, that really surprised me and I love Square for actually having a real plot twist for once.
  • I wouldn't call it a "real plot twist", but it's a fun enough fight, even if he's way too hard. I just think it's funny that the info box for that fight is Fight Xehanort and get your body back!, even though we all know that doesn't happen.
  • Plot twist? Dude, when the first KHII FM secret movie came out, everyone and their grandma assumed that Terra was going to become Xehanort. It was obvious that Xehanort was gonna somehow take his body. This...Is not a plot twist.
  • Plot twist?
    Well maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention! Or just forgot, actually, that's probably what happened.
  • Plot twist?
    Well maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention! Or just forgot, actually, that's probably what happened.
    I never forget, and I really just like...Was expecting it to be more complicated than the obvious prediction that everyone made like...3 years ago when KHII Final Mix came out.