This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071107 - I Wanted to Like Naruto

edited November 2007 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we completely trash Naruto and the whole shonen fighting genre. In the news, Takeshi Kitano and Miyazaki are awesome, and anime is being brought to Russia.

Scott’s Thing - Awesome Pumpkins

Rym’s Thing - Ugly Mickey

Comments

• The Ugly Mickey blogger looks to be portuguese, and those were really awesome pumpkins. I am gonna say that back in 2003 a friend of mine gave copies of Naruto, I did not care. Then when Naruto came to Cartoon Network I decided to give it a try and I was not surprise but I contine watching until the ep. in which they had to protect a dud that is suposse to build a bridge or something like that. I do not know maybe I got jaded because when I was a kid I watched the original Shonen fighting shows from the early 80's and I can see the each one of them is a rip off of the previous one.
    But I will say that Scrym should really try Hajime No Ippo or Ring Ni Kakeru. Both are sport anime shows and can be considered fighting show because both of them are about boxing but I will just show the opening of each one of them.
    Ring ni Kakeru

Hajime no Ippo
  • It is clear that Rym does not believe in drastic his soul.
  • Does tub girl count as a cornocopia?
  • Does tub girl count as a cornocopia?
    I would say yes. A cornucopia worthy of any Thanksgiving table.
  • Does tub girl count as a cornocopia?I would say yes. A cornucopia worthy of any Thanksgiving table.Considering your screen name, I think your opinions of tubgirl are highly predisposed.
  • I was going to also to recommend Hajime no Ippo, it's the best sports anime I've seen.
  • I really like Shonen fighting shows (I can't quite understand why...), but I also like the seinen and other classifications.
  • Some things that came in my mind while listening this show.

I'll say that Naruto is that one shonen fightings that I'm allowed to watch and what I have seen too much. Nartuo was one of the first anime series I saw and that I downloaded with fansubs. At then it was really cool and I kinda liked the way how it didn't go as a monster of a week but there was one big fight and I thought that they were pretty cool. But at some point I realised that even tough Narto was cool now and then most of the episodes were not, I always waited the end of long fight so I could know what clever trick Naruto used this time. And when the wall of fillers came, I stopped and even now when those have ended I just can't start to watch it again.

But then a word about Bleach, and I have decided to do this with other Shonen fightings I'm going to see (one peace). I just watched the first story arch of Bleach that was about two seasons. After that I have seen enough of it. It had some cool fights, main character developed some bad ass techniques and who cares that in the end the real bad guy got away. I'm not going to see that huge amount of episodes that doesn't really move "the real plot" more than a inch at time.

So my advice with shonen fighting series are, watch some of it and then stop when you feel like it and never turn back.
  • Oh man, just listened to the show and Scott when it comes to Fantasia, my sentiments exactly. Oh, and good news everyone! When John Lasseter became head of animation at Disney, he said that they were going to start making the shorts again and they are starting with a new Goofy How-to cartoon. It is going to tell you how to put together a home theater system.
  • edited November 2007
    I have to confess here that I really like shonen fighting manga (yeah, like no one knew that after that One Piece thread). I read the big four (OP, Naruto, Bleach and Eyeshield 21) and have recently read the first few chapters of Fairy Tail and found it pretty nice.

Manga is generally the preferable medium for such concepts as they rarely draw things out since there is no necessity for it and it takes by far less time. When a show gets into a stretch it often moves at the pace of a manga chapter per episode. Reading a chapter takes about 7 minutes if you read it very carefully, watching an episode takes 21 minutes. Although I must say that I am just on the brink of stopping Bleach since the most recent chapters have been dragging out two parallel fights for half an eternity and the mangaka keeps nonsensical pulling plot twists out of his arse to keep the reader interested.

I usually also download the episodes of the anime series of these shows and watch it if I can to see how things are animated, but if things drag on I skip or watch in fast forward. Bad filler episodes like the Naruto Filler Wall or the most recent Bleach filler episodes are regularly skipped.

My advice is to if you want to give a shonen fighting series a try, read the manga and if you liked it enough so you would read it again, watch the anime.

I'm looking forward to the Tuesday show next, I suppose it will be a show about game achievements ^^
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I can't stand Naruto. I would rather watch that ninja School show on the Cartoon channel or that one that was on last year with the kids that each represented an element. They had a Dragon (voiced by Neuman?) and each episode they surged for a Shen jon wu (sp) and the evil guy was Jack Spicer...
  • I can't stand Naruto. I would rather watch that ninja School show on the Cartoon channel or that one that was on last year with the kids that each represented an element. They had a Dragon (voiced by Neuman?) and each episode they surged for a Shen jon wu (sp) and the evil guy was Jack Spicer...
    Xaolin Showdown.
    That ninja school is called Shuriken School. It's fun.
  • Hey, Mickey Mouse, Mini, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, and Pluto are on TV every day. Disney is making good use of that property, just not in a way you would be interested in. My 2 and 4 year old boys watch (and love) Micky Mouse all the time. The show "Mickey Mouse Club House" is on the Disney channel every morning. It's CG and not the best CG either. It is fairly educational a little less so than say Sesame Street but generally something you would want you kids to be interested in.

If I get to pick one Shonen show it's Bleach. I love the character designs, it's light on annoying tag along characters, an I've made it through 40+ episodes so far without losing intrest.

I've not read enough manga to know, does the Manga of the shonen fighting genere spend entire volumes on one fight? Is this just a case of trying to streach out the Anime so they don't burn through a year's worth of manga in a couple hours?

Rym and Scott touched on this but the biggest crime is the character design is so wonderful and the stories don't to the characters justice.
  • edited November 2007
    I can't stand Naruto. I would rather watch that ninja School show on the Cartoon channel or that one that was on last year with the kids that each represented an element. They had a Dragon (voiced by Neuman?) and each episode they surged for a Shen jon wu (sp) and the evil guy was Jack Spicer...
    Actually, no. Shuriken School is on Nickelodeon and it has nothing to do with anything HMTKSteve was talking about. Neito was right when he said Xiaolin Showdown.
    Post edited by KaiserNeko on
  • I've made it through 40+ episodes so far without losing intrest.
    You will lose interest when they get to the Bounto. It picks up again at about episode 120. I admit liking Bleach enough to have watched all 147 so far. Sue me.
    Actually, no. Shuriken School is on Nickelodeon and it has nothing to do with anything HMTKSteve was talking about. Neito was right when he said Xiaolin Showdown.
    You must have missed the "or" in my sentence. I was talking about BOTH shows.
  • edited November 2007
    When they started talking about Ugly Mickey the first thing I started thinking about was Farfur
    Post edited by Page on
  • You must have missed the "or" in my sentence. I was talking about BOTH shows.
    Oh, well, it made it worse that you said the Cartoon channel. XD
  • I only said Cartoon channel because my daughter rules the TV and I can never tell if something is a Nick, Disney or CN show.
  • Hey, Mickey Mouse, Mini, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, and Pluto are on TV every day. Disney is making good use of that property, just not in a way you would be interested in. My 2 and 4 year old boys watch (and love) Micky Mouse all the time. The show "Mickey Mouse Club House" is on the Disney channel every morning. It's CG and not the best CG either. It is fairly educational a little less so than say Sesame Street but generally something you would want you kids to be interested in.
    While I did not know about that, it doesn't matter. Disney used to be in the business of making all-ages animations. And when I mean all ages, I mean all ages in the Miyazaki sense. I pretty much don't count kiddy stuff on the Disney Channel as a serious Disney Animation project.
    If I get to pick one Shonen show it's Bleach. I love the character designs, it's light on annoying tag along characters, an I've made it through 40+ episodes so far without losing intrest.

I've not read enough manga to know, does the Manga of the shonen fighting genere spend entire volumes on one fight? Is this just a case of trying to streach out the Anime so they don't burn through a year's worth of manga in a couple hours?

Rym and Scott touched on this but the biggest crime is the character design is so wonderful and the stories don't to the characters justice.
    I can tell you from reading and owning 11 volumes of One Piece, which I think is still an ongoing manga in Japan, that there were fights spanning multiple volumes. It was upsetting the first time this happened, because the volume immediately after the fight was awesome, and contained no fighting. Of course, it also setup a fight for the next volume, so I stopped reading. It is possible that the fights in manga are typically less drawn out, and you can control the pace by flipping pages, but it's still not as it should be.
  • I was quite chuffed that you mentioned Hikaru No Go. I hadn't thought of it as similar to Naruto and in hindsight it makes perfect sense. If I hadn't been interested in learning the board game it would've been tedious.
  • edited November 2007
    Actually Scott, OP volume 12 doesn't include any fight in the sense we use it "One character vs. another fighting with our special abilities against each other in a big standoff bla bla bla". I think you should read at least the the first chapter to conclude the Logue Town story and I believe it actually includes what you are looking in a fighting manga, a short fight with a clear winner.

Here's a link to an online reader
  • I thoroughly enjoyed Hikaru No Go, since in all honesty, it didn't really concentrate on the Go ITSELF and instead concentrated on the actual story BEHIND the Go. Face it, watching anime characters play go play-by-play, regardless of how dramatized it is, would have been boring.
  • edited November 2007
    By the way, Rym and Scott, you guys like two shonen fighting shows: Death Note and Claymore.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • While I did not know about that, it doesn't matter. Disney used to be in the business of making all-ages animations.
    I'd have to agree with you. I cringe every time I see that show, my kids like it and it is educational so I'm not going to turn it off, but yeah... I would love to see a full length Disney feature with Mickey, Mini, Donald, Daisy and Pluto, with a Goofy short at the beginning. With GOOD animation, industry standard setting, not some 3rd string crap like you get on Cinderella 2 or whatever. I want the good stuff. Perhaps Disney has such a corporate atmosphere that they are no longer able to produce such fare.

I was thinking about Claymore, I also enjoyed that show. I just finished ep. 26 and I thought the pacing was pretty good overall. It seems like they were constantly progressing the story not just moving from fight to fight.
  • Anyway...

• edited November 2007

Bythe way, Rym and Scott, you guys like two shonen fighting shows: Death Note and Claymore.

How in the nine circles of hell can these two series be classified as shonen fighting? Death Note has absolutely no fighting at all except you count a battle of wits as such and Claymore follows next to no rule of thumb that would put it in the same category as Naruto or One Piece.
  • They're both from Shonen Jump.