This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Shit-Talking Prevention Thread

edited November 2007 in GeekNights
There's certainly a need for this thread.  Every time Scrym comes up with an idea, post it here.  The idea is to prevent Scrym from shittalking ever again.  You come up with the ideas, you want to execute them, but you never do.  I'll start:
Rym and Scott want to start an action committee for their local government.

Comments

• *thumbs up to this thread*
  • Wow, a thread for this already exists. It seems there is some action on the political front...

However, this is now three summer convention seasons in a row, with three trips to the Jersey show, without Rym and Scott using a guest episode I recorded for them. I don't give a shit, but it does amuse me.
  • However, this is now three summer convention seasons in a row, with three trips to the Jersey show, without Rym and Scott using a guest episode I recorded for them. I don't give a shit, but it does amuse me.
    That's ALL Rym.
  • However, this is now three summer convention seasons in a row, with three trips to the Jersey show, without Rym and Scott using a guest episode I recorded for them. I don't give a shit, but it does amuse me.
    That's ALL Rym.
    Doesn't his phone have a reminder system or something like that? That's how I usually remember things if I forget them. It's not as intrusive as you'd think it might be and it's quite efficient.
  • Doesn't his phone have a reminder system or something like that? That's how I usually remember things if I forget them. It's not as intrusive as you'd think it might be and it's quite efficient.
    It's not a matter of remembering. I can remind him of something a zillion times. The thing is, he sets his own priorities, and he will almost always prioritize something like playing Counter-Strike or exercising for an hour when he has multi-year old responsibilities that are unfulfilled such as:

Evening out our finances - I'm still keeping track of over two years of money he owes me.
    E-commerce
    Editing that show Luke made and putting it up.
    Merch
    Pragmatic Rationalist Party

Anyone got any others?
  • Anyone got any others?
    "Zombies Episode 3" :P
  • edited August 2010
    --Project DORF, which seems to have stalled.
    --A return to the four days a week format.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • --A return to the four days a week format.
    Personally, I'm kind of glad that they've reduced the number of shows. But... they're incredibly irregular now, which isn't good either.
    Seconded.
    Oh, god yes. Even if the shows were shorter, or if they only had a main bit and no news/things of the day, or even if they were only news and things of the day. I just really miss pretty much always having new content to listen to whenever. I haven't found any other podcasts that I like nearly as much.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    Anyone got any others?
    Okay Sonic, look: they're never gonna do it. They even said in the Living in the City episode that they will not do it. Pardon the pun, but can we just bury it? Didn't see the tongue icon at first.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Evening out our finances - I'm still keeping track of over two years of money he owes me.
    E-commerce
    Editing that show Luke made and putting it up.
    Merch
    Pragmatic Rationalist Party
    That first one could be filed under "ouch". I once read a quote (and I forget who said it): "Never lend money to your friends, or people that you want to keep as friends." I could add to that by saying, "And if you do, don't ever expect to get it back, or don't expect to keep them as a friend." Loaning money to a friend, even a small amount, can be bad for the friendship especially if the debt lingers on for any length of time. The longer the debt lingers, the more resentment grows.

Two and four seem to be related, and it sounds like Rym is hung up on "doing it properly", especially when it comes to the e-commerce side. Two suggestions: 1. Bite the bullet and hire a damned accountant already. Yeah, it's an expense, but sitting around with your thumb up your ass gets nothing done when you could have merch money coming in from t-shirts, posters, stickers, collected Geeknights volumes on DVD, etc. Sure, it's less money than you guys make at your day jobs (which seems to be part of Rym's excuse), but it's still extra income that could help funding things like paying for the trips to cons, new recording equipment, etc. 2. Check out LegalZoom.com and you may be able to handle most of the incorporation bullshit on your own instead of having to hire a lawyer.
    I'm going to place my vote in the "no" camp on this one - I've got other podcasts I listen to on a regular basis and four hours' worth of Geeknights a week would seriously cut into the amount of time I have to listen to the others. Two a week works fine if they can keep a regular schedule.
  • --Project DORF, which seems to have stalled.
    DORF is moving, if slowly. We shifted direction to avoid being redundant with Goblin Camp.
    This was never promised, therefore it isn't shit talk.
    I don't think this was ever promised either. If you want it, send us enough money so we don't have to go to work anymore.
    Yea, please don't make it so I interact with my friends less then I already do :-p
  • collected Geeknights volumes on DVD
    We decided a long time ago that this was quite infeasible. DVDs aren't that big, and there is very little demand for something like this.
  • We decided a long time ago that this was quite infeasible. DVDs aren't that big, and there is very little demand for something like this.
    A 32GB USB stick is over $50 on Newegg. A 32GB SD card is over $60. Add our costs in labor plus shipping. Are you going to pay?

Remember, it's Creative Commons licensed. If you think you can make money selling USB sticks or SD Cards full of GeekNights, you're free to have at it. If a handful of people want to mail us sticks or SD cards, maybe we can fill them up for a small fee. We just can't do it for too many people, we don't have time.
  • Sure, it's less money than you guys make at your day jobs (which seems to be part of Rym's excuse), but it's still extra income that could help funding things like paying for the trips to cons, new recording equipment, etc.
    Money is not what prevents us from attending more cons: time is. Managing a store would leave less time for cons, not more. As for recording equipment, my new Firewire interface arrived while I was on vacation. I expect to have it calibrated and set up by next week.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    Oh! I just remembered something that they kept forgetting to do. Prizes.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    Oh! I just remembered something that they kept forgetting to do. Prizes.
    Ah, yes. We did get a bunch out to people in a spurt some time ago, but I'll bet we've still forgotten some.

I've learned on that front to never promise a generic "prize," but only to offer specific prizes for specific contests, the prizes known and acquired ahead of time. ;^)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • --Project DORF, which seems to have stalled.
    DORF is moving, if slowly. We shifted direction to avoid being redundant with Goblin Camp.
    I'm now able to dedicate more and more time to this project. It's slowly picking up speed, but it's essentially being rewritten from scratch.
  • OK I'll caveat this by saying I've never listened during the 4-a-week era, but this seems like an inhuman task to me, unless that person had nothing in their life besides waking up, going to work, and recording a podcast.
  • but this seems like an inhuman task to me, unless that person had nothing in their life besides waking up, going to work, and recording a podcast.
    We were fairly hardcore back then, and the breakneck schedule is the primary reason we improved as rapidly as we did.
  • You also lived in Beacon so you didn't do much during the week.
  • I sent prizes out. Who was supposed to receive a prize, but did not? I have a bunch of comics I have to clear off the shelves.
  • I sent prizes out. Who was supposed to receive a prize, but did not? I have a bunch of comics I have to clear off the shelves.
    Did that one guy get his Guin Saga manga?
  • Did that one guy get his Guin Saga manga?
    I'm almost positive. I'll know for sure when I get home.
  • Personally, I'm kind of glad that they've reduced the number of shows. But... they're incredibly irregular now, which isn't good either.
    That's my stance as well, however the fact that they are still doing this after so many years is still a pretty damn awesome.

For people to expect/want them to continue to do 4 shows a week is asking for too much. Plus from seeing how things changed over the years, it seems GN is concentrating more on doings on the convention circuit level than just podcasts. It's been interesting seeing how things have developed with them on both a professional and personal level as well as the people of the FRC and the forum. And to also be a part of all that is pretty awesome too.
  • Sure, it's less money than you guys make at your day jobs (which seems to be part of Rym's excuse), but it's still extra income that could help funding things like paying for the trips to cons, new recording equipment, etc.
    Money is not what prevents us from attending more cons: time is. Managing a store would leave less time for cons, not more. As for recording equipment, my new Firewire interface arrived while I was on vacation. I expect to have it calibrated and set up by next week.
    How's it coming so far?
  • How's it coming so far?
    We used it for the last two shows, plus a recording session with someone.

We can mic a large group if we want now fairly easily.
  • So, back at the beginning of the summer, Rym talked about riding his bike from New York to Beacon. To me, this was clearing shit-talking. When asked for a time frame, it must have been something like "by the end of the autumn" because I put a note in my calendar for today, November 28th, asking "Did Rym and Scott ride their bikes to Beacon and back?"

Hazarding a guess here: No.