This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Shit-Talking Prevention Thread

Comments

• Nope. However, he has been training for it. It's going to have to wait until the Spring.
  • Shouldn't this thread be called "Keeping them honest"
  • "Did Rym and Scott ride their bikes to Beacon and back?"

Hazarding a guess here: No.
    I never expected Scott to come with me.

Basically, what stopped me was the lack of a free weekend coupled with the fact that, due to years of only occasional biking, I seem to have a problem about 30 miles into any hard ride with my left knee. It takes me a few days to recover once I "trigger" it, and the only alternative is to go much more slowly than I'd like (averaging under 20MPH). Hence, I've been training on hard 10 and 20 mile rides to rebuild my biking strength and hopefully work around the knee problem.

I do plan to do it in the spring, as I'm making progress on the knee.
  • You had a doctor look at that?
  • You had a doctor look at that?
    It's a known quantity. I have hereditary bad knees. Proper training is the best solution, though for a long trip I'd probably wear a knee brace.
  • After talking in September, I knew Scott wouldn't do it, but that was what I put in my calendar. Good luck though!
  • Set up a Minecraft server! Wowee!
  • "I will have Connecticon panel submissions up by the end of this month" -Rym, October 2010.
  • "I will have Connecticon panel submissions up by the end of this month" -Rym, October 2010.
    I have zero control over this. I have an entire submission site up and running, but the official one is managed by someone else over whom I have no sway. If I had my way, submissions would be up a month after the last Connecticon every year.
    I have zero control over this. I have an entire submission site up and running, but the official one is managed by someone else over whom I have no sway. If I had my way, submissions would be up a month after the last Connecticon every year.
    Ok. I figured it was something like that, but you were SO DAMN CERTAIN, I had to give you a bit of a hard time about it. :P
    I wish I could remember things that happened in October
  • I enjoy that I missed my panel deadline by ONE DAY (the schedule was done but was still compiling info to send out the E-mail) and people were like Zenkaikon Panels is full of FAIL. I wonder if they deal with any other convention ever :-p (like Otakon:-p)
  • I enjoy that I missed my panel deadline by ONE DAY (the schedule was done but was still compiling info to send out the E-mail) and people were like Zenkaikon Panels is full of FAIL. I wonder if they deal with any other convention ever :-p (like Otakon:-p)
    You missed it, so you are full of fail. Just because Otakon is fail times a thousand, doesn't mean that fail times one is somehow win. Fail is fail. They just have more than you. If I beat you in a game by one point, or by 100 points, you are lose in both situations. If you want to win, win.
  • Actually I did succeed technically. I had the schedule done :-p
  • Actually I did succeed technically. I had the schedule done :-p
    Late.
  • This reminds me of the "playing to win" lecture scott gave me during a game of power grid when I considered not trying to stop him because we had to leave soon and meet up with people.
  • This reminds me of the "playing to win" lecture scott gave me during a game of power grid when I considered not trying to stop him because we had to leave soon and meet up with people.
    Well, there is a problem in that some games force a player to continue playing even when the probability of victory for that player has been reduced to zero. Power Grid has this issue, but it doesn't rear its head until the final round or two, so it's pretty good compared to most games. You should play to win, but sometimes you've already lost. In those cases, blame the game not the player.

I do need to make the additional point that many times players think that their chance of winning is zero, when it is in fact very far from it. Because of this, I never stop trying to win unless I am certain beyond all mathematical doubt that there is absolutely no way to win.
    Doing that does ruin the game for the rest of the players. Some games handle it better by allowing a player to gracefully exit. Power Grid does not.
  • I'm doing something now that is the opposite of shit-talk. However, I don't wan to say what it is. It's not because I want to keep the project a secret. It's because if I say it and don't do it, it becomes shit-talk. One way to avoid shit-talk is to not talk.
  • Why don't we all talk about things we are not going to do ^_^
  • edited January 2011
    Doing that does ruin the game for the rest of the players. Some games handle it better by allowing a player to gracefully exit. Power Grid does not.
    The game was a round or so from the end. The only way I could win was if both Scott and Andrew played sub-optimally. I also didn't have an effective means to stop Scott anyway.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • My instinct always told me that if I declared my plans for something, it would make me more likely to follow through. Instead, I've found that declaring plans for some awesome idea takes the wind out of its sails.
  • I, too, am working on a super-secret project.

It is, in fact, a super-secret collaboration.

This is also something I've never even talked about before. It's brand new! It doesn't even factor into the shit-talk spectrum.

Be afraid.
  • Is it beer related?
  • Is it beer related?
    No.
  • This is also something I've never even talked about before.
    Even to me?
  • Be afraid.
    I actually am.
  • Even to me?
    Maybe.
  • I, too, am working on a super-secret project.

It is, in fact, a super-secret collaboration.
    Are you having a baby?
  • edited January 2011
    Are you having a baby?
    In a manner of speaking.

EDIT:
    Even to me?
    Maybe.
    I'll clarify: I've never discussed this project on these forums before. Other places, I'm less certain.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on