This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rant: FF7 LTD why does it still exist?

edited December 2007 in Video Games
For those that didn’t run away when you saw the title and actually stayed to see what I wrote, I command you for taking your time to read this. Most people won’t even touch this subject with a ten foot pole.

For all the major Final Fantasy 7 geeks out there, I’m sure you have seen the acronyms LTD one too many times amongst rabid fangirls and fanboys. Most people on here probably already know this but just incase anyone doesn’t know, LTD means Love Triangle Debate. Basically, it’s a retarded war on who Cloud Strife loves more in the game, Tifa or Aeris. Each side tries to bring evidence to the table claiming that their couple is the CANON couple. And for those who don’t know, here is the definition for Canon

When I first started playing FF7 I was untainted by others opinions of the game or its characters, so, I pretty much played with an open mind. I know that FF7 is not a huge love story like its abomination of a twin FF8. However, I always find myself paying attention any romantic connections between characters. In my opinion, the development of a romantic relationship between two characters has the most significant impacted on a characters psychological growth more then anything else. I like looking for realistic and practical character progression when I play an RPG.

Anyway, when I was finally finished playing FF7 I was completely certain that Cloud and Tifa were the canon couple of the game. It seemed only obvious after the creators killed Aeris off in the first disk and then made that romantic ‘under the Highwind’ seen near the end of the game.

Well, at some point I decided that I really liked Cloud and Tifa as characters, so I went on the Internet in search of some decent fan art and fanfiction. Instead of finding fan art and fan fiction, I found a whole bunch of scary ass FF7 LTD fan sites that did nothing but slandering each other. Back then, I couldn’t go to any FF7 fan site with out seeing some kind of LTD crap. What surprised me the most about this war, was that their seemed to be more people on the Cloud and Aeris side then the Cloud and Tifa side.

After a while, I thought that maybe I was wrong about Cloud and Tifa being cannon. I figured if the majority of FF7 fans think Cloud and Aeris is the official couple then perhaps I missed something when I played the game. Being opened minded I went to some of their sites to see if they had any legitimate proof to their clams and this is what I found Destiny Fulfilled. More then half of the CloudxAeris (also known as Cleris) fans are spawned from this site. Almost every Cleris that I have debated with regurgitates information from this site almost verbatim. I warn everyone that about 20% of you’re brain cells may die within the first three seconds of exposure to this site. Oh and I also found this wonderful little thread on their forums a little while ago Cloud x Aeris forums So for a long time the consensus was for Cloud and Aeris being the official FF7 couple.

Finally years later, Advent Children came out, along with a short in-between novel, magazine articles, and the Advent Children Reunion files. Suddenly there was overwhelming amount of official information and proof pointing toward Cloud and Tifa being canon. Oh, and if want to see the evidence I can post it later on request.

I bet you finally want to know what the hell my point is already. Well, here it is. I have found that even after all of this overwhelming evidence and creator commentary saying that Cloud and Tifa are cannon, the LTD is still in existence! The greater majority of FF7 fans still think that Cloud and Aeris is the true couple of the game! Now, either I’ve been completely stupid for the last seven years of my life or the Cleris majority of FF7 fans are in still in their cult like denial.

When my thought process seems to differ from that of the greater majority, I tend to think that perhaps I’m the one who’s wrong. I’ve also tried to talking to some of my gamer friends about the LTD but they always seem to have some predisposition against Tifa or Aeris, thus making their opinions biased. Then I though “As stupid as this subject is, why not bring the issue to Geek Nights.” I figure that the worst that could happen is that I’ll be called a noob and kicked off the forums. Anyway, you guys have played the game; perhaps you can give me an unbiased third person opinion on this LTD crap.

Comments

• Honestly, most of this comes from the same people who do this yaoi/shonen-ai fangirl pairing crap I can't stand. I honestly don't mind fan works or even fan interpretation of a work (the so-called "fannon"). If it's interesting, then good. But this whole debate and crap-feast that accompanies this is immature and annoying to me.

But, looking solely at FFVII and Advent Children, I get the impression that Cloud WANTS Aries, but he's kinda "stuck" with Tifa.
  • But, looking solely at FFVII and Advent Children, I get the impression that Cloud WANTS Aries, but he's kinda "stuck" with Tifa.
    That is what I hear from most people but looking deep into the games setup I just can't see Cloud being in love with Aeris. There are many reasons why but their is one major reason that always seems to stand out for me. Cloud wasn't really himself when he met Aeris. Cloud remember almost nothing about himself and his childhood. He also kept reminding Aeris of Zack for some reason. Cloud didn't gain his identity back until the Life stream sequence, which is way after Aeris died. In my opinion, without memories or a sense of identity a person is basically an empty shell. In essence, it was that "shell" that Aeris meet and liked. However Cloud wasn't a complete empty shell and even though I highly doubt Cloud loved Aeris I'm sure he did have some romantic interest in her.
  • This thread scares me.
  • This thread scares me.
    It's okay...me too. *holds Sail*

Anyway. Screw what they might think. If you like Cloud and Tifa like that and not Cleris.
  • I have two words that will shatter the worlds of every single one of these scary fan people.

False Dichotomy.
  • Burn! Intelligent burn. *gives dap*
  • To answer the topic title. As has been mentioned already, some people are stupid, pathetic and scary.

Also, how the heck do you know if Scott and Rym have played FF7?
  • Also, how the heck do you know if Scott and Rym have played FF7?
    I played FF7 on the PC back in 1999. I didn't beat it, though. There was this one part where I beat a boss and then all the characters jumped off of an exploding tower during a video sequence. That video was on a part of the CD-ROM that was scratched. Thus, I never played the rest of the game.

For the part that I played, I can say that as a game it was better than many other JRPGs. Much less grinding, and the gems in sword customization was simple, effective, and fun. What was bad about it was that RPGs are mostly plot and characters, and I really couldn't give two shits about the FF7 stuff. FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Golden Sun are games that got me to actually care about their RPG plots.
  • Tifa and Cloud are childhood friends.

Aerith and Cloud were friends too, but then Aerith got all dead and Cloud beat himself up about that.

Why does there have to be a romantic angle to this?

• Also, how the heck do you know if Scott and Rym have played FF7?
    They have two threads about the Final Fantasy games and they have briefly mentioned FF7 in Geek Nights before. Really, what kind of gamer geeks would they be if they didn’t play at least some of it. FF7 is only one of the most over rated and commercially known FF game.
    Tifa and Cloud are childhood friends.
    Aerith and Cloud were friends too, but then Aerith got all dead and Cloud beat himself up about that.
    Why does there have to be a romantic angle to this?
    If you notice there is a romantic angle to almost every FF game except for spin offs like FF Tactics and Idaki Street Special.

Well, I think people are missing the point of my rant. I already know that fans can be retarded so that wasn’t what I was getting at. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear the first time.

My point is, that there is more factual evidence and proof pointing to Cloud and Tifa then Cloud and Aeris (and I can post it here if anyone wants to see) However, the vast majority of FF7 fans still think Cloud and Aeris is the official couple, thus the LTD is still in existence. What I want to know is, why do people still think Cloud and Aeris is the official couple when there is more proof pointing to Cloud and Tifa. There shouldn’t be an LTD anymore if the creators have already stated that Cloud and Tifa are together. I want to know if perhaps I missed something. I don’t remember Cloud being nicer to Aeris then he was to Tifa. I don’t remember Cloud ever having the option of calling Aeris his girlfriend. I just don’t understand. I mean, Cloud lives in the same house with Tifa and raises children with her, something I don’t see friends doing. Anyway that’s the point I was trying to make. I just want to know if I had missed some significant point that makes Cloud and Aeris more of a couple then Cloud and Tifa.
  • Ok, Two questions, they are not in any way loaded. I want you to answer me frankly and honestly:

1)What does one outcome change over the other and is the difference really significant?

2)What makes you personally care?
  • This thread scares me.
    It's okay...me too. *holds Sail*

Anyway. Screw what they might think. If you like Cloud and Tifa like that and not Cleris.
    *Invades Embrace*
    H....Help... Knees weak... light fading...
  • *Evades Invades Embrace*
    If I wasn't so bad at spelling I wouldn't mind people making such obvious mistakes.

I personally think that Cloud, Sepiroth, Tifa and Aeries were all homosexual but that's what I get for too much time on the internet.
    edited December 2007
    My guess: Fangirlism.

Secondly, I never heard anything about FF7. Never knew Cloud, Aeris and Tifa were from there. Never cared and never will care about it either. Ah well, I'm not that much of a gaming geek.

EDIT:
    If I wasn't so bad at spelling I wouldn't mind people making such obvious mistakes.
    Yet you do. Same with me, those obvious painful mistakes like "seen" where "scene" is meant to name something from the top of my head are on the same level. People who think that "OMG I'm bad at that language" and who then sees mistakes like that goes "OH GOD! How the hell can you make that mistake?! Even I know that!" are just better in said language then they consider themselves to be. It's scary.
    Post edited by ... on
  • It's kind of weird when you meet punk kids (and humans too) who think Sepiroth is from Kingdom hearts.
  • It's kind of weird when you meet punk kids (and humans too) who think Sepiroth is from Kingdom hearts.
    *facepalm* I'm not yet that stupid. Crazy insane punk kids.
    Seriously? No...you're serious aren't you.

Damn punk kids.
  • I've played like maybe 10 mins of FF7, many years after it came out. I know what pretty much happens. I guess I missed out on what's so great about the game. I can see and understand some of the fangasms over the characters, however annoying it may be. My boyfriend is a big time FF7 fanboy, and I like to make fun of him for that.

However, after scanning your post, my basic conclusion is this: Who the fuck cares?
  • Ok, Two questions, they are not in any way loaded. I want you to answer me frankly and honestly:

1)What does one outcome change over the other and is the difference really significant?
    I have already explained the answer to this in the third paragraph of my first post.
    While FF7 wasn't the best RPG ever it was pretty good and I just personally wanted to know if I had missed some significant detail about it. Not to mention that I have gamer friends that talk about FF7 a lot, so the discussion frequently comes up.
  • Sometimes I just can't stand the kind of people who are so single minded that they are either in denial. For example these people I just don't like talking or hearing their comments ( and they do want to be heard). Including the sixty or so narutos at anime cons.
  • edited December 2007
    Sometimes I just can't stand the kind of people who are so single minded that they are either in denial. For example these people I just don't like talking or hearing their comments ( and they do want to be heard). Including the sixty or so narutos at anime cons.
    I agree with you. If there was a reasonable Cleris fan that could give me some factual evidence for Cloud and Aeris, I would be more then happy to have a talk with them. Unfortunately, most of the Cleris I encounter are like that and whats worst is that they seem to be the majority. Or perhaps they're just louder.
    Post edited by LadyRelena on
  • edited December 2007
    Could you post this evidence?
    I imagine the people who care would like it, and the people who don't care won't be reading this far down in the thread to complain about a long post about the subject in question.
    If you can, can you also paraphrase the "Cleris" opinion?
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • While FF7 wasn't the best RPG ever it was pretty good and I just personally wanted to know if I had missed some significant detail about it. Not to mention that I have gamer friends that talk about FF7 a lot, so the discussion frequently comes up.
    If there was a reasonable Cleris fan that could give me some factual evidence for Cloud and Aeris,
    Ehm, and you can't ask your friends who are into Cloud and Aeris for said evidence? Just tell your friends that (the question for factual evidence) whenever said discussion comes back up again. And why the hell do you still care about missing details, your experience has been confirmed by the creators you said. As far as you know, you're right. So stop caring and wasting time! Spend your time playing new games, enjoying new stories instead of murmuring about your ungrounded uncertainty. And if your friends keep bringing up this topic drop them. They're just crazy and scary fanboys and fangirls then. There are 6 or so billion people in the world.

Unless, of course, you yourself are a crazy and scary fanboy/fangirl... In which case I have nothing to add and will start to ignore this topic for there is no hope.
  • Ehm, and you can't ask your friends who are into Cloud and Aeris for said evidence? Just tell your friends that (the question for factual evidence) whenever said discussion comes back up again. And why the hell do you still care about missing details, your experience has been confirmed by the creators you said. As far as you know, you're right. So stop caring and wasting time! Spend your time playing new games, enjoying new stories instead of murmuring about your ungrounded uncertainty. And if your friends keep bringing up this topic drop them. They're just crazy and scary fanboys and fangirls then. There are 6 or so billion people in the world.

Unless, of course, you yourself are a crazy and scary fanboy/fangirl... In which case I have nothing to add and will start to ignore this topic for there is no hope.
    Look, I'm not trying to fangirl out. I just wanted to have some unbiased opinions on the LTD. Even though the creators say one thing the vast majority of the fans say differently. I just wanted to know if I has missed something in the game or missed some huge creator commentary that contradicts what I thought was true. Also, I don't think my friends are crazy fanboy/fangirls but they are huge dorks. They just like to dive deep into character psychology and a big part of that is the relationships between certain characters. Anyway, I wasn't trying to make this into a big deal, I merely wanted some of my own personal questions answered but this just seem to generate negative feed back.
    Could you post this evidence?
    I imagine the people who care would like it, and the people who don't care won't be reading this far down in the thread to complain about a long post about the subject in question.
    If you can, can you also paraphrase the the "Cleris" opinion?
    I think the point of this thread has become moot since people seem to get the wrong idea about it. However, If you still want to see the proof just ask again and I'll link them in my next post.
  • Look, I'm not trying to fangirl out. I just wanted to have some unbiased opinions on the LTD. Even though the creators say one thing the vast majority of the fans say differently. I just wanted to know if I has missed something in the game or missed some huge creator commentary that contradicts what I thought was true.
    That's where your problem lies. You put the opinions of fans on the same height as the creators commentary. You're basically saying: "I cannot be right!" And seek facts to support your wish to become a Cloud and Aeris fangirl.

I cannot understand why you're still doubting your view, I mean you mentioned creator commentary verifying you were right! The creators would be stupid if they had contradicted themselves on that. It's their creation, they know everything about it and all they say is true and factual for their creation.
    Anyway, I wasn't trying to make this into a big deal, I merely wanted some of my own personal questions answered but this just seem to generate negative feed back.
    These are the Geeknights forums. This is not a fan forum on a specific topic. 'Deep' stuff about a game like FF7's love triangle you shouldn't search for here, for if there is a discussion like that here, the moment a person comes with the creator commentary that x is true and y is false, the discussion is over. If you still complain that y is true, then you'll be a scary fan. General game discussion can be done on these forums.

And you can whisper the 'evidence' to Mosquitoboy.
  • edited December 2007
    To Nineless:

I think I've mad it pretty clear that I'm not a crazy fangirl but you seem to think otherwise. You obviously don`t like obsessed fan people and you seem to think that I am one, which makes me wounder why you even post here in the first place. Anyway, I think I' m pretty much just going to let this thread die since people don't understand my point.I didn't think it was such a big deal to talk about the specifics of a certain game. If this isn't something that's done here then just forget it. I just started posting on the forums this past month and I thought this type of discussion was ok. This whole topic isn't really that big of a deal to me.
    Post edited by LadyRelena on
  • These are the Geeknights forums. This is not a fan forum on a specific topic. 'Deep' stuff about a game like FF7's love triangle you shouldn't search for here
    Frankly, I'm fine with the listeners posting about whatever they want, so long as they do it well. Fan-debates are no exception to that. ^_^
  • These are the Geeknights forums. This is not a fan forum on a specific topic. 'Deep' stuff about a game like FF7's love triangle you shouldn't search for here
    Frankly, I'm fine with the listeners posting about whatever they want, so long as they do it well. Fan-debates are no exception to that. ^_^
    True, true, that is known, but in the first few posts LadyRelena brings up the official creator commentary on what is the real couple. Which, if you ask me, is already the last nail in the coffin for the discussion, since there is nothing left to discuss.

It's like a debate about who shot first. The moment you come with an original first version of the movie you can show that Han Solo indeed did shoot first. True, later the creator changed his mind and changed the movie to where he didn't shoot first, but that hasn't happened to FF7. Those creators haven't gone back, changed their game to reflect Cloud and Aeris as the couple and changed their claim.

And then she asked for facts to prove that Cloud and Aeris are the official couple, which I find a complete waste of time and tell her that since she can ask the same question to her friends, or a fan forum dedicated to this topic, where the group of people caring and knowing is far larger than here.
  • edited December 2007
    I thought I finished this thread. It's a false dichotomy. End of story. There's nothing more that anyone can say that isn't either subjective and useless, or logically fallacious. If you want to discuss what the original creators thought, then you either have to ask them to get the answer, or shut up. If you don't understand what a false dichotomy means, then that's another problem entirely.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If you don't understand what a false dichotomy means, then that's another problem entirely.
    That doesn't discount the possibility of debate, it merely discounts the idea that the opinions are mutually exclusive. People can still put forth their evidence for feeling one way or the other.