This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Are we heading for another depression?

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Do jack of all trades lawyers exist, or are we going to need to find multiple peoples?
    They do, but probably not in the areas you need. Incorporating and real estate are fairly easy. One person could do both of those. Intellectual property is what's going to get you. General practitioners don't dabble in that.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Wow, I'm Joe's echo.
  • edited May 2008
    Check out Superlawyers. It's a cheesy advertising vehicle (You pay $$$ to be featured if you're nominated), but the lawyers that are listed are voted on by their peers. In my area, at least, I have found that the lawyers listed really are among the best.

Also, Martindale rates lawyers. An AV rating is very hard to get. There are many excellent lawyers who never get an AV rating. (The "V" deals with ethics, if I remember correctly.) Again, these ratings are the result of surveys that are given to local lawyers.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited May 2008
    Buying a house for $200,000 and selling it for $100,000 is a lot better than renting a place and then just moving out, no?
    My understanding is that you pay off your mortgage for a home upon its sale. If you get a mortgage for your $200k home and if you owe $150k on the mortgage at the time of sale, selling that house for $100k would mean you still owe the bank a lot of money. I am not a realtor, nor have I sold a house. This is just my best understanding of the matter.
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • edited May 2008
    Someone who does real estate and IP. You might not even get to see this guy, but the firm is good.

They have an entry for me! I never gave them any information, and what they have is old. Maybe I should contact them and give them new information.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Someone who does real estate and IP.You might not even get to see this guy, but the firm is good.
    I'll talk to Rym, maybe we'll call the first guy. The second guy looks like he wants to deal with international companies, not with two podcasting dudes.
  • That first guy is a little old. Make sure he knows about the internets.
  • That first guy is a little old.
    He's not old.
  • The one I'm looking at was born in 1938. (Robert J. Alexander)
    That's not old.
    That's not old.
    2008 - 1938 = 70. I'd call him old as he is above the age to draw pension and other retirement benefits without taking a penalty.
  • 2008 - 1938 = 70. I'd call him old as he is above the age to draw pension and other retirement benefits without taking a penalty.
    To Joe, 70 is a drop in a bucket.
  • edited May 2008
    2008 - 1938 = 70. I'd call him old as he is above the age to draw pension and other retirement benefits without taking a penalty.
    Superman is seventy, but he's still flying around. McCain is seventy-one. Seventy is the new fifty.
  • 2008 - 1938 = 70. I'd call him old as he is above the age to draw pension and other retirement benefits without taking a penalty.
    Superman is seventy, but he's still flying around. McCain is seventy-one. Seventy is the new fifty.
    Tell you what, you send me $70 and I'll send you $50 back ;)
  • I can't believe you fogies haven't talked about this yet:
    2 Wall Street banks bankrupt, the Dow crashes 500 points in the worst day since the 9/11 attacks. Greenspan says it's the worst economy he's ever seen.

Fundamentally strong. Right.
  • edited September 2008
    Australia looks like it will be barely hit by the recession, if at all.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I can't believe you fogies haven't talked about this yet:
    2 Wall Street banks bankrupt,the Dow crashes 500 pointsin the worst day since the 9/11 attacks. Greenspan says it'sthe worst economy he's ever seen.

Fundamentally strong. Right.
    And in the worst economy Greenspan has ever seen, I am getting ready to buy a house for super cheap. Be glad we're not in that country where inflation is so high that the price of goods rises faster than it takes to wait in line at the checkout aisle.
  • 2 Wall Street banks bankrupt, the Dow crashes 500 points in the worst day since the 9/11 attacks. Greenspan says it's the worst economy he's ever seen.
    Oooh great, the Dollar's going down again. Even cheaper importing of computers parts hell yeah. :D
  • I can't believe you fogies haven't talked about this yet . . .
    Actually, I'm too depressed to talk about it. HA. No, seriously - things are on a downhill slide, and it's largely due to deregulation. That makes me very sad. It also makes me sad when people don't seem to realize that, with a tanking economy, no one can be certain that they'll always be employed or that they'll always enjoy the relative financial stability they do now.
  • no one can be certain that they'll always be employed or that they'll always enjoy the relative financial stability they do now.
    If you have rare and valuable skills, you can be pretty certain.
  • Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not on one side or the other of this thing. I was just surprised all the naysayers hadn't flamed for pages about this yet.
  • edited September 2008
    Whom do you mean by "naysayers"?
    no one can be certain that they'll always be employed or that they'll always enjoy the relative financial stability they do now.
    If you have rare and valuable skills, you can be pretty certain.
    Does the phrase "whistling past the graveyard" mean anything to you?
  • Whom do you mean by "naysayers"?
    Anyone less optimistic than Scott.
  • Whom do you mean by "naysayers"?
    Anyone less optimistic than Scott.
    So, do you think things are going pretty good?
  • So, do you think things are going pretty good?
    For me. My financial situation is better than it was before this crisis business. The only difference is that it costs me $5 more to drive to my parents house because of the price of gas. I make very few short trips, so that has a very slight impact. The prices on everything else I buy haven't changed significantly, and I'm making the same money. And best of all, I'm planning to buy a house and prices are going down! From where I stand it seems like it only sucks for people without jobs or skills.
  • I wasn't taking either position. Certain members of the forum are notorious for debating endlessly about whether or not such-and-such is bad, or good, or if it matters, whether or not you should care about it anyway, et cetera. I thought a big news item like this would have been jumped on right away. The Scott comment was a joke.
  • From where I stand it seems like it only sucks for people without jobs or skills.
    Or who live outside of New York City and its suburbs. ^_~
  • From where I stand it seems like it only sucks for people without jobs or skills.
    Or who live outside of New York City and its suburbs. ^_~
    Or both.
  • edited September 2008
    I thought a big news item like this would have been jumped on right away. The Scott comment was a joke.
    It's hard to say right now how bad things will get and it actually does make me very, very sad. The very idea that Lehman would have to declare bankruptcy is like something out of science fiction. Merril Lynch is gone, AIG is tanking, Goldman Sachs' profits are down some 71%, we're gonna have to bail out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the stock market is down to where it was on September 17, 2001, and world markets are plummeting - not very indicative of good times to come.
  • It's hard to say right now how bad things will get and it actually does make me very, very sad. The very idea that Lehman would have to declare bankruptcy is like something out of science fiction. Merril Lynch is gone, AIG is tanking, Goldman Sachs' profits are down some 71%, we're gonna have to bail out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the stock market is down to where it was on September 17, 2001, and world markets are plummeting - not very indicative of good times to come.
    What bothers me is simply that we all saw this "crisis" coming a mile away. Greedy people lent money to stupid poor people, and other greedy people turned a blind eye. Regulators were either incompetent or greedy.

Basically, everyone involved in this chain of events was either incompetent or greedy. I'm not sure which group deserves more blame.