This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080103 - Epiphanies

RymRym
edited January 2008 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss epiphanies. In the news, doorknobs are dead as, well... doorknobs. That, and CES is coming.

Scott's Thing - Paper Plane
Rym's Thing - Giant Sticky Man

Comments

• There are fates much worse than merely not existence. Most of these are incomprehensible so you're alright.
  • Note on handles: Handles on doors you are supposed to push are a crime against common sense.
  • I have a doorknob on the door of my room. I haven't seen any house but the one I live in that has doorknobs.
  • "The long standard in Europe" True. I currently live in an old house, World war era. All inside doors (not counting closet doors) has handles. The Front door has an unmovable knob on the outside and a keyhole, and on the inside is just a big block for the locking mechanism with one of those small hooks you need to pull to open it.

And that giant sticky man idea has been done. Okay, probably with a computer, but a year or two or maybe longer ago there was a Dr. Pepper commercial on TV where a dude had lost some bet, his friends stuck sticky balls to his hands and feet, stuck him to a skyscraper and gave him a sip of the drink. Then he started to fall down like a sticky man should.
  • Scrym's school epiphanies made me sad. :/

Some might say that disgrace is harder to cope with than death, because you can only die once.

When I first saw a photo, I though Scott looked more like the old owner of Studio 54 than Mr. Bean. :)

I fall into the naysayer camp, but I'm 24.
  • How's that quote go? "Give me liberty or give me death?" Yeah.

Funny enough, I also stopped giving a damn about high school at the end of my sophomore year/beginning of my junior year. I still pulled A's, even without trying, but the school couldn't challenge me. If they didn't care, then I wasn't about to care either.

My greatest epiphany came in my troubled younger years, when I was both religious and socially inept. I would get picked on a lot, and didn't know how to deal with it, except to pray to God that it might get better. One day, at the end of 7th grade, I realized, "Y'know what, God's not there. I'm the only one that can help me out." From then on, I was an agnostic/atheist, and a lot better off.
  • edited January 2008
    I stopped caring about grades at the beginning of this year, eighth grade of middle school. Like WhaleShark, I still get A's because stuff is easy. I haven't really done any homework since the start of the school year. Homework is almost always a completion grade, so I just write bullshit that looks like work, the teacher looks at it, and then I get a 100% for the assignment. I guess the epiphany that started me doing that was when, in Geometry class at the beginning of this year my teacher called for everyone to take out their homework so she could check it. I took my homework out of my folder, put it on my desk, and realized I had only done about a third of the actual assigned math problems. Then, my teacher came around, looked at my homework, made a check mark on her little homework checking sheet, and went to the next person. And I just sat there thinking wow, I don't have to do anything anymore. Rym and Scott were right; I'm being graded on what it looks like I've done, not what I've actually done. Thanks Scrym.

Also, I had an epiphany in seventh grade, when I realized I was really an atheist. I don't know how I started thinking about it but I was in my room doing stuff and I thought "if only the people who follow God are going to heaven, almost everyone is going to hell. God's a jerk." And from there I just kept thinking that nothing I'd been taught in madrasah (Islamic Sunday school) made any sense. If all of those miracles happened then, why aren't they happening now? This is all fantasy. None of this should be taken seriously. I can be a good person without the threat of hell looming over me constantly.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Note on handles: Handles on doors you are supposed to push are a crime against common sense.
    THEY EXIST?!
    THEY EXIST?!
    Yes, they do. Read The Design of Everyday Things, it is awesome, it talks about all kinds of stupid things like that. It's great for anyone that works on any type of human interface, including websites. I highly recommend it.
    THEY EXIST?!
    Yes, they do. ReadThe Design of Everyday Things, it is awesome, it talks about all kinds of stupid things like that. It's great for anyone that works on any type of human interface, including websites. I highly recommend it.
    Oh em gee. How can anyone come up with that!? (the handle on push doors)
  • I for one fucking love doorknobs. Doorknobs allow for rotational pressure to be exerted by the user to obtain the reward of a room's contents. Also, when you are trying to pry off a latching system with a crowbar, the doorknob is much harder to pry off than a simple handle. The crowbar slides along its edgeless surface, souring the otherwise sweet, sweet milk of crowbar leverage. This makes your room safe from crowbar-forced-entries.

Also, you can't open a doorknob with greasy fingers. Which means your room is safe from people with greasy fingers.

Also dogs, cats, and other animals without prehensile thumbs can't open doorknobs. Safety from lesser evolved beings.

Also people with mittens. Who needs them? Not the people in my rooms of choice. Doorknobs mean the enmittened stay outside.

The only real drawback of doorknobs is that people carrying two trays of food and drink to you take slightly longer to get into the room. The system calculates that the being has no available thumbs. It think he is a greasy-fingered dog-man with mittens on, and assumes you don't want them to enter your room. Which would only be correct if the being was a pyramid-guard in Stargate after eating a dozen wings outside in a blizzard.
  • If you are trying to break into a room with a crowbar, you don't use the crobar on the knob/handle. You use the crowbar on the door itself.
  • Also people with mittens. Who needs them?
    Canadians.
  • I for one fucking love doorknobs. Doorknobs allow for rotational pressure to be exerted by the user to obtain the reward of a room's contents. Also, when you are trying to pry off a latching system with a crowbar, the doorknob is much harder to pry off than a simple handle. The crowbar slides along its edgeless surface, souring the otherwise sweet, sweet milk of crowbar leverage. This makes your room safe from crowbar-forced-entries.
    *laughs* I can only give you advice here. Don't become a thief. You'd fail too often.
    Also, you can't open a doorknob with greasy fingers. Which means your room is safe from people with greasy fingers.
    I submit to you, wooden doorknobs. You'd have to have your hands dipped in oil to not be able to open those. Plastic doorknobs (if they exist, or doorknobs made from any other smooth surface) are hard to open normally anyhow. And all hands are greasy. It's normal, it's good for your skin.
    Also dogs, cats, and other animals without prehensile thumbs can't open doorknobs. Safety from lesser evolved beings.
    CATS!? What do you feed your cats that causes them to be able to reach to a door handle? As for big dogs, true. Doorknobs means they can't get in the room. It also means your door will be scratched horribly. Trust me, I know this from experience. And besides, if it's a good door handle the dog won't be able to get in easily either.
    Also people with mittens. Who needs them? Not the people in my rooms of choice. Doorknobs mean the enmittened stay outside.
    Mittens? You need an opposable thumb to be able to grasp and turn a doorknob. How is that hard with a mitten? I'd say opening doorknobs with mittens is better! That way you don't hurt your hand when it slips due to being a doorknob.
    The only real drawback of doorknobs is that people carrying two trays of food and drink to you take slightly longer to get into the room. The system calculates that the being has no available thumbs. It think he is a greasy-fingered dog-man with mittens on, and assumes you don't want them to enter your room. Which would only be correct if the being was a pyramid-guard in Stargate after eating a dozen wings outside in a blizzard.
  • Similar to Whale Shark and Lawlet I stopped caring about grades at a point in high school. Being that I was good (only in front of superiors heh) and was more articulate in comparison with the majority of students I got by ALL THE TIME! I got A's with or without trying. Ahhh the terrible yet wonderful days of HS.

Although my slight epiphany of atheism is still in progress. Nothing is convincing me on either side. Until that day I'm agnostic.
  • I stopped caring about grades and school in third grade, when I first got homework, and realized it was pointless busy-work. I don't think this counts as an epiphany though.
  • Also people with mittens. Who needs them?
    Canadians.
    I am Canadian, and I do not need people with mittens.

Nineless: I concede that I have no cats. Also that I am a very low level thief/rogue.
    Apreche: thank you, this explains why I keep not sucesfully breaking into rooms with crowbars.
  • ReadThe Design of Everyday Things,
    Purchased. I will.

Although my slight epiphany of atheism is still in progress. Nothing is convincing me on either side. Until that day I'm agnostic.
    I'm on the same boat, except for the "In Progress" part, because can an epiphany really be "in progress"?

• Although my slight epiphany of atheism is still in progress. Nothing is convincing me on either side. Until that day I'm agnostic.
    I'm on the same boat, except for the "In Progress" part, because can an epiphany really be "in progress"?
    Meh. I suck at finding words to describe things.
  • ReadThe Design of Everyday Things,
    Purchased. I will.
    Let me know what you think. Everyone I know of that's read it really enjoyed it. My sister is a designer and she loved it. Just be aware, when you are done reading you may be a bit more sensitive to bad design.
  • I had to read this for one of my freshman classes. I liked it a lot, but for some reason I sold it back to the bookstore. And of course, this semester two of my classes required it. I love how it talks about how horrible clocks and doors are, as far as being user-friendly.
  • I had the same epiphany about object-oriented programs.
  • Sometimes I really wonder if I just suck, because my teachers to the best of my knowledge have with very few exceptions that I can tell checked my work and anything that I'm not super passionate about has been difficult for me. Math in particular has given me a ton of trouble.
  • It's almost my one year anniversary of being single, and a few days ago I had a mini-epiphany. Six years ago I was young, free and single. Now I'm young, free and single, but I also have a fuckload more money.

Life is good!
  • edited August 2010
    I for one fucking love doorknobs. Doorknobs allow for rotational pressure to be exerted by the user to obtain the reward of a room's contents. Also, when you are trying to pry off a latching system with a crowbar, the doorknob is much harder to pry off than a simple handle. The crowbar slides along its edgeless surface, souring the otherwise sweet, sweet milk of crowbar leverage. This makes your room safe from crowbar-forced-entries.
    *laughs* I can only give you advice here. Don't become a thief. You'd fail too often.
    Seconded. Only Gormless, clueless first-timers use crowbars rather than a small bit of plastic or celluloid to slip the lock, and it's a moot point on a front door, because if you're a thief, there is little motivation to go through the front door unless you're a petty shoplifter.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Now this is where I sneer at all those in American schools with my haughty and stuck-up European attitude towards American schooling, conveniently ignoring I'm half American.

Oh my god, reading all these old comments about not doing work in school: are American schools really this shit?

I was pushed to do hard work for my entire school years. Everyone always checked your homework. There are rubrics that all essays are held to. You can debate about rubrics being a good way to grade essays, but everyone was held to a high standard. The criteria for essays and homework was clearly defined and well documented and understood. There are no excuses for inadequate work. This was what normal classes were like. Guess what, I decided to do the IB, which is the international equivalent of AP. In fact, I would say 90% of my school decided to do this, entirely of their own will (and maybe some parental influences). Never were essays judged on who wrote them. You can get on a teacher's good side, but they are not afraid to give you a bad grade.

The only time I could ever half ass-homework was in French class where we're given grammar exercises. This was about 1 year of my entire time at school. Oh yeah, and you would hope that the teacher wouldn't ask for them to be collected if you half assed-it. Homework accounted for up to 20% of your grade (depends on the teacher), and the type of homework I got was things like english commentaries and comparative essays, science labs, a well rounded plethora of math questions, grammar practice, and (unique to my class) economic commentaries. Oh yeah, there's a bullshit philosophical class which provided no insight to me and all my friends agree.

You know when I could stop caring about school? Middle of the senior year, after being accepted into RIT. That's when I stopped caring, because my grades were no longer important as long as I kept them from falling to unacceptable levels. I would still be able to get into RIT, and keeping a GPA above 3.0 would allow me to keep my scholarship After submitting a 12 page essay on a topic of my choosing, 3 lab reports, 4 economics commentaries, 2 english essays, 2 mathematical exploration pages in which I discovered mathematical principles on my own, and an english and french oral examination recording for external examination, I was finally given a time of rest to do, guess what, studying for my final exams. Well, I ended up studying 15 minutes before the exams and still passed, and now I'm going to RIT. It was a lot of work, and I certainly won't be looking back at my high school years fondly.

You know what? All my friends who applied to a british university would still have to work hard to the end of their senior year because they request the final grades as well as mid-year grades. American universities tend to accept based on mid-year grades: The grades that you have when you apply. Unless it's a conditional acceptance.

Granted, my experience is that of the IB, I wouldn't have to do a 12 page essay if I didn't take the IB. the essays and commentaries and all that were still part of the curriculum. I also took IB Chemistry. FUCK that class, with a chainsaw nun-chucks. I think we have another person doing IB here that can agree with me.
  • My schools checked my homework for a very long time. If I didn't do my homework, I would've failed out of my school. Because I worked really hard on my homework most of the time, I usually didn't have to do any extra studying outside of work that the teacher assigned. In Calculus this year, though, our teacher assigned to us the best ways to study as extra assignments that had a great end-of-the-year reward if we did all of them.

Then again, my High School has been voted within the top 100 of the Country, I think, so...Yeah...Maybe some other people just wound up in crappy high schools.
  • I'm sure that schools which require and grade homework definitely have better results in terms of grades. Almost everyone learns from practicing, so forcing people to practice will definitely increase skills.

However, I know that I would grate under such a school. You see, I avoided homework as much as humanly possible. I did projects and essays and reports, but never regular old homework. I got good grades regardless. Look at me now with my degree and my job. The results show that I was right to skip doing the homework. Some other kids, maybe most, should probably do it, but I didn't need to.

This is really a fundamental problem with schooling. If you don't treat all kids equally, it creates an unfair disparity. However, the kids are actually different. I didn't need to do homework, but some other kid probably should be forced to do it. How do you force one kid to do homework, and grade them on it, while at the same time another student isn't required to do any homework at all?

I'll always remember my current events class in 10th grade. Awesome teacher. He calls out one of the other students for not taking notes. The kid says "Scott never takes any notes" teacher says "Scott gets As on all the tests." OH snap!

If I were a teacher, I would hand out homework in proportion to test performance. Got an A? No homework needed. Got an F? Pile of homework.
  • edited August 2010
    But of course, kid who gets an F will not do pile of homework, and really ought to be transferred into a lower level class unless they are willing to do the work.

I do agree with you, but I would do really great on things because I did the homework. However, I was excited when in the 11th grade, my AP US History teacher decided we would not be graded on the notes we took from the textbook, which I didn't do. I would read the textbook if I felt I had to, and then I would learn what was in it. Occasionally, I wouldn't ace a test, but I got a 5 on the AP, so clearly my methods were quite alright.

I also think that you knew what you wanted to do with your life, and instead of doing homework, you hacked and programmed and worked on computers and played games in your spare time. Thus, when you went to college, you already had the skills you needed. Someone who instead develops the skills to actually learn a lot from a class, do the homework, and work hard at it, doesn't need to necessarily get very good at computers before going in for a computer major, because I can learn through a class, unlike people who can't but try to.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Except for literature classes, I never even read the book. I learned everything from attending class and paying attention.