This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Comments

• Oh yeah, fruit is a great money make as well. But yes the Turnip business is like the stock market. Every Sunday morning, you have to talk to Joan the travelling warthog. Buy some a red turnip seed so you can plant that. Water that everyday and by Saturday, Tom Nook should buy it back for I think either 10k-15k bells. Now in regards to white turnips, you basically buy them in bundles from Joan. They average around 80-110 bells per stack. Buy as much as you can. Especially if it's under 100 bells. Now what you do, you can put them on the ground in your house or on tabletops and talk to Tom Nook each day to see the prices of turnips. When you see a good price he's buying them for, sell them to him. You'll get a decent turn around. Once I bought 1000 stacks for around 80 bells each and then sold them for 300 bells a stack. That easily paid off my mortgage, and I put the rest in the bank.

Normally the best price are towards the end of the week. However, by Saturday if you haven't sold Tom Nook your turnips and don't like the price he offers, you can still save your turnips without having them spoil by Sunday. Just put all your turnips on top of tables and they won't go bad. That way, you can buy more from Joan and check Tom Nook for prices the following week.

Also to earn money, keep money in the bank. After a month, maybe less, the town bank will give you interested you accrued from saving.

Yeah skipping ahead it bad. Your flowers die, your neighbors move, and you have so many weeds. I honestly could not afford jumping ahead. I had so many rare hybrid flowers that I didn't want to risk having them die. I hate flowers now. Having to tend to them and water them was such a chore after a while. I wish there was someway I could upload my town to show you, but my town was covered in flowers. Everyone's house was surrounded by flower beds, carefully color and type coordinated.

I had special beds that had the hybrid colors that I made sure to always water. I wanted that golden flowering can so badly. Eventually I did get it and the gold roses started blooming.

Good lord, I'm really scared of that game on the Wii.
  • Anyways, I'm a bit further in the game and i love it more and more as time goes on. The new gunboats are quite interesting to say the least. The one shot pistol effect they have can cause some interesting situations. Unfortunately I have a calculus mid term coming up and if i don't put this stupidly awesome game down i might fail, so back to studying for me.
  • I just had to turn it off at battle 10. I went on offense too soon and his one missile launcher was just tearing all my planes to shreds. It is nice to see the CPU gets better at tactics as the game progresses.

In regards to its one missile launcher it always moves it just one space further away than my bombers can reach it. He also surrounds it with hard troops so I can't just run up and take it out. He also leaves his air force in reserve until I bring something up for him to shoot down.
  • I just had to turn it off at battle 10. I went on offense too soon and his one missile launcher was just tearing all my planes to shreds. It is nice to see the CPU gets better at tactics as the game progresses.

In regards to its one missile launcher it always moves it just one space further away than my bombers can reach it. He also surrounds it with hard troops so I can't just run up and take it out. He also leaves his air force in reserve until I bring something up for him to shoot down.
    That was the easiest battle ever. That river prevented tanks from coming into the picture, and you started with superior air power. If you're having trouble with the rockets, just send two bombers at once -- it can't target both of you.

That was the easiest battle ever. That river prevented tanks from coming into the picture, and you started with superior air power. If you're having trouble with the rockets, just send two bombers at once -- it can't target both of you.
    No river. This is the one where you get to the bunker.
  • Chapter 10 - "Day of Rest" in the EUR version
  • I just beat the battle at the shelter. What a Pain-in-the-ass!
  • So, how many missions are in the game and how does the letter scoring work?
  • 26 Campaign Missions
  • Is there a way to see what a CO power is (in game) before you use it? I just used Will's at the end of my turn only to find out it lets your units move a few more spaces. Did me no good as all my guys had already moved!
  • Is there a way to see what a CO power is (in game) before you use it? I just used Will's at the end of my turn only to find out it lets your units move a few more spaces. Did me no good as all my guys had already moved!
    All the information is in the menu.
  • This game stops playing around at mission 21. :\
  • Well, that was easy. Every mission up to 25 was pretty-much cake, but it took me eleven tries to beat 26. I finally got it just now.

The strategies of earlier Advance Wars games just don't work: there's too much tactical variability now to lock the game into patterns (which is a good thing IMHO).

Got damn, was that last mission kind of awesome.
  • Mission 21 took me two tries. I ended up winning on the last turn by capturing his HQ.

What was the deal with not being able to land my landers on his western peninsula? I was all set for a major land invasion but I was stuck landing my units 12 spaces away from his HQ.
  • What was the deal with not being able to land my landers on his western peninsula? I was all set for a major land invasion but I was stuck landing my units 12 spaces away from his HQ.
    I beat that one a few days ago. You can only land landers on beaches. If the shore is cliffy or rocky, you can't land. On maps using the happy green tileset it is easier to see the beaches than it is on the post-apocalyptic tileset.
  • Ahh... That explains why some of the maps I made were broken!

Is it just me or do you find most missions can either be won in under 30 minutes or they take forever?
  • Is it just me or do you find most missions can either be won in under 30 minutes or they take forever?
    If you fail to capture the advantage early-on, you'll fall into a slow stalemate. Your best course when this happens is to start over and think about how you could play your early game differently.
  • Yeah, I'm still stuck on 10 at the Bottle Neck Hills.

I'm sure I'm missing the point of the mission...

Gah.
  • I just completed mission 22 after 77 days. I messed up early and paid for it.

I was playing the Deep Defense map the other day and I am confused. If you are P1 there is almost no way you can win in 10 turns by defeating the enemy. I thought this was just a survival mission but no. I held out for the ten turns and I still lost. I played it in reverse and after 10 turns I lost as the attacker.

Are all of the maps designed so that you have to win by capturing the HQ or wiping out all of the enemy units?
  • If we get enough participants, I propose a tournament.
  • I recently got this, my first Advance Wars. It's pretty awesome so far. Going back over this thread, it seems like everyone is going along fine until they hit one mission for whatever reason stumps them for a while. For me it was mission 12, "History of Hate." I blew through every one up until that point with S or A on all of them, but got stuck on this one about four or five times. You start out at a disadvantage, firepower-wise, and without being able to heal my units, I couldn't keep them alive. When I finally did beat it, I ended up with 2 HP on one duster, being chased around by the enemy's (10 HP) cruiser. I was able to avoid him and refuel at a temporary port until he ran out of gas and blew up. I felt kind of cheap for beating it this way; it seems like there should be a way to actually beat the enemy instead of sneaking by with the narrowest margin. How did anyone else beat this mission?

PS: The soundtrack rocks.
  • I now have S ranks in every single mission. With this, I have achieved an S rank in every mission on every difficulty on every Advance Wars game ever released in the United States.

Yay...
  • Congratulations, you videogames.
  • How did anyone else beat this mission?
    If it's still relevant, I'll have to look at it.

In general, high-level real-world military tactics about area control, area denial, attack/counter-attack, penetration, defensive depth, and so forth are applicable. Support armor with infantry, maintain supply and reinforcement lines, and use obvious tactics like weakening the center or divide-and-conquer.

Anti-aircraft guns are your friend in many situations. Remember that they're fast, cheap, and effective against air and infantry units. In a pinch, they'll finish off a tank or recon, and they'll do serious damage to artillery.
  • I now have S ranks in every single mission. With this, I have achieved an S rank in every mission on every difficulty on every Advance Wars game ever released in the United States.

Yay...
    You are now qualified to be president of the US. Congrats!
  • Wait, so I'm qualified to be president of the US too?
  • Wait, so I'm qualified to be president of the US too?
    Yea, were you also born in the US? Well, Rym is not 35 yet... But he's got most of the preregs down now.
  • I'm sure HungryJoe could say a lot about it, but I've always thought it was odd that the age requirements listed in the Constitution kind of violate the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment. As a 30-year-old, I feel less equal than a 35-year-old.
  • I'm sure HungryJoe could say a lot about it, but I've always thought it was odd that the age requirements listed in the Constitution kind of violate the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment. As a 30-year-old, I feel less equal than a 35-year-old.
    I agree. If I had constitution editing powers, one of the few things I would change would be no age limits on anything. As soon as you come out of your mother, you get everything, free speech, drinking, driving, all of it. To counter the obvious problems I would have aptitude tests for every privileged activity. Those tests would all be difficult but fair. So if you want to vote, pass the test just like driving. How would the test be fair and discriminatory like how they used "literacy tests" to keep blacks from voting? Because I would administer the tests personally, and I am not corrupt in any way.
  • Because I would administer the tests personally, and I am not corrupt in any way.
    To sidestep the obvious, how do you address what I shall henceforth call the Commodus Conundrum?

Enlightened despotism is indeed a viable solution to most of our governmental problems. It also has historically failed miserably the moment the despot is no more, or if the despot is not in fact enlightened.