This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

13»

Comments

• Enlightened despotism is indeed a viable solution to most of our governmental problems. It also has historically failed miserably the moment the despot is no more, or if the despot is not in fact enlightened.
    All previous enlightened despots were in charge during a time of great technological inferiority. If a truly enlightened despot came about now, science could advance so rapidly as to make the despot immortal.
  • Those tests must have a pretty damn long waiting list.
    Because I intelligently use computers, it takes almost no time.
    Because I intelligently use computers, it takes almost no time.
    Question 1: Yankees or Mets?
    *person chooses Yankees*
    *Immediately dies*
  • Question 1: Yankees or Mets?
    *person chooses Yankees*
    *Immediately dies*
    Ok, you can vote.
  • Question 1: Yankees or Mets?
    *person chooses Yankees*
    *Immediately dies*
    Ok, you can vote.
    It's a trick question. The real answer is Red Sox. :P
  • Regulating age limits without a despot is easy. If you pay taxes, you are not encumbered by any age limit. If a 14-year-old has a job and pays taxes, BAM! He can drive, run for president, drink, whatever. If he does not have a job, then he can be encumbered. It's kind of like the service guarantees citizenship model, but without a slavish nod to the military industrial complex.
  • I enjoy that I caused a thread about Advanced wars to devolve into a thread about the age at which you can become President.
  • Once again, this seems relevant:
    At the age of 18, every able-bodied young man must strike out into the cold northern reaches of Canada, alone and naked, and kill a grizzly bear using only his bare hands and raw masculinity. He must then carry the beast back to his home village, unaided, where he guts it and wears the viscera like jewelry. Only then may he vote.

Women, of course, should not be counted as people.