This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Could people help me find and decide upon animes for an upcoming convention?

edited January 2008 in Anime
Unfortunately, I'm stuck doing pretty much everything myself, last minute, which means I have to handle several things all at once. (Oh the joys of being Club President..)

If you could suggest animes to show at this convention, it'd be wonderful. Specifically, I'm looking for a broad range of genres and I'm not very particular about ratings; there's an 'Adult' (aka 14A and up) room and a 'General' room (PG13+ and down), so they'll go in their own little niche. Even better, if you could point out a few on this site, that'd be awesome. This is the site of an anime store who also rents out animes, a very useful tool. This way we don't have to find them within our little group, which can be a crazily daunting task.

Also.. AMVs: if you could give me the ones that you really liked and enjoyed, that'd be great too. I'm going to be using this site the most, I believe, but if you know the creator's site or email, even better.

Thanks so much guys; I really appreciate this. I'm really stressed; I had given them this to do several months back, and unfortunately it never got touched...

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Any video by Jeff Tatarek. I'm pretty sure he has an animemusicvideos.com account.

Good anime off that site are Akira, Animation Runner Kuromi, and Azumanga Daioh.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Excel Saga. It's one of those anime that's best in a group and it could be your comedy part. Fake is good for the yaoi fans. DNA2 for the romantic perv comedy. Genshiken which is also good for lulz. Getbackers could cover action. Gravitation for the yaoi's or pick a gundam show for the robot anime ration.
    For shojo Peach Girl or ParaKiss would be good and for shonen any DBZ movie.

OVA's and movies would be good since a person can watch it all and move on completing everything.

For AMV's I could send you a bunch in a zip through email if you want.
  • How many episodes do you intend on showing per session?
  • Baccano, god that series was so awesome.
  • Perhaps you'd want to have the one screening of something Tezuka. Black Jack, perhaps? Astro Boy is the obvious one, but several people I know turned away from Tezuka because of that show.
    It might be a good idea to show some of the "edgier" Tezuka. Maybe an episode of Black Jack in the 14+ screening room, and some Astro Boy in the 13-?
  • Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon movies perhaps.
  • Definitely show Akira in the 14+ age group as it is one of the greatest masterpieces ever. Azumanga Diaoh is episodic so a few episodes should go well with the younger kids, though they may not get the jokes as well. Also, if a large part of your audience are younger kids then you should consider showing dubbed animes, as subbed ones may turn them away if they do not have adequate reading abilities. Furthermore, Miayazaki films are always a must show at any anime convention.
  • For AMV's I could send you a bunch in a zip through email if you want.
    That'd be wonderful!
    How many episodes do you intend on showing per session?
    3 episodes or a full length movie. The number we show depends on the run times, but we'll be having them going from 10AM-6PM in two rooms, so there'll be quite a bit.

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions; keep it coming. I'll be compiling a list of this, and I'm sure we can get a good majority - go go anime rental stores!
  • As far as shows go, Paranoia Agent is a good show for the thinking crowd, and Crayon Shin-chan is a fun comedy. Gurren Lagann would be good for anyone. And for movies, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, and Paprika.
  • For AMV's I could send you a bunch in a zip through email if you want.
    That'd be wonderful!

Whisper me it.
  • Studio 4*C shorts are good
  • I'll add "Project A-ko" to the list.
  • Baccano, god that series was so awesome.
    YES! SCRYM! REVIEW! Though I wouldn't suggest it to be shown. It's very confusing. A lot so in the first 4 or 5 episodes.
  • If it's only three episodes, any series with an involved storyline or a slow start is immediately out.

I guess that would make episodic shows, comedies (which may fall under episodic), and movies the ideal choices.

Does your main audience consist of relative anime newbies or more involved fans? Which are the majority?
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. The first episode alone is effing win.
  • I suggest three:
    Azumanga Daioh (funny), Akira (eternal), and Ah My Goddess: The Movie (its Belldandy, what else do you want?)
  • Does your main audience consist of relative anime newbies or more involved fans? Which are the majority?
    Shonen mainstream fans, pretty much. They're not newbies, per say, but they're defitinely not.. informed about all the different things. Most watch things like FMA, Bleach, etc, and have never heard of say, Utena. >>;
  • Shonen mainstream fans, pretty much. They're not newbies, per say, but they're defitinely not.. informed about all the different things. Most watch things like FMA, Bleach, etc, and have never heard of say, Utena. >>;
    Then Gurren Lagann is required viewing.
  • Also, you might wanna check to see if GaoGaiGar would work. Or some of the older super robot shows, like Mazinger or Getter.
  • If it's the shonen mainstream, then most robot shows will just go in one ear and come out the other.

Aside from the obvious Miyazaki films, i'd suggest some of the more "mature" shonen shows and comedies. The former category includes things like Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Claymore, Hunter X Hunter, and on an unrelated note, Death Note. I'd recommend Azumanga Daioh from the latter category.
  • edited January 2008
    ^_^ Thanks very much guys. =3 I think, if you include the stuff I've compiled from suggestions from friends and members, we have over the needed 16 hours. Thanks so much! ^_^

NOW I have a new questions. =3
    I need to whittle 'em down. I currently have 30 hours. I need 16.
    My final list, arranged by genres (general genres, mind you):
    Drama
    Akira
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Millenium Actress
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away
    Fate: Stay Night
    Shonen (Mecha/fighting, etc)
    DNA2
    Project A-Ko
    R.O.D.
    Saiyuki
    Samurai 7
    Samurai Champloo
    Romance
    Ah! My Goddess (movie or first 3 eps?)
    Ai Yori Aoshi
    Paradise Kiss
    Shonen Ai *
    Fake
    Gravitation
    Kyo Kara Maoh
    Comedy
    Animation Runner
    Genshiken

*Unfortunately, due to our.. area, it's a good idea to only have one. I'm for sure stuck on Gravitation and Kyo Kara Maoh. There'd be lots of people who'd love it but if I had more than one, I'd be hounded forever by the homophobes in my club. I'm not too sure if they'll let me get away with even one. ><;

Seeing as I have over 14 hours I need to get rid of (haven't included switch around time yet), I think not worrying about time is alright. Y'have no idea how much this helps me out!
    Post edited by kage_rod on
  • Fate/Stay Night . . . ugh. Now that was a waste of time.
  • edited January 2008
    Fate/Stay Night . . . ugh. Now that was a waste of time.
    hahahaha, I remember my friend and I started that and when they go to the part about why they had to fight. Their reason was "well, you'll be a loser if you don't." and that's when we hit STOP.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Get rid of Ai Yori Aoshi! NOW!
  • Samurai Champloo is a good suggestion.
  • Speaking from personal experience, Gravitation is a horrible show. If you're gonna go shonen ai, don't do Gravitation. What little I saw of DNA2 was also terrible.

On the topic of F/SN . . .
    Photobucket

PS: I like how Azumanga Daioh, the single most recommended thing on this thread, is nowhere to be seen. >_
  • On the topic of F/SN . . .
    LMAO. That is too funny. :)
  • Fate/Stay Night . . . ugh. Now that was a waste of time.
    hahahaha, I remember my friend and I started that and when they go to the part about why they had to fight. Their reason was "well, you'll be a loser if you don't." and that's when we hit STOP.
    Huh, funny. Loved the show.
    Speaking from personal experience, Gravitation is a horrible show. If you're gonna go shonen ai, don't do Gravitation. What little I saw of DNA2 was also terrible.
    PS: I like how Azumanga Daioh, the single most recommended thing on this thread, is nowhere to be seen. >_<</p>
    So Kyo Kara Maoh, I guess. And no, no Azumanga Daioh, because we had it last year and at the club. People hated it. It was the one anime that had the lowest reception. I guess people here just hated it...
  • Huh, funny. Loved the show.
    It could have been the best show ever, but the dialog was just too cheesy in the first couple episodes for us.
    So Kyo Kara Maoh, I guess. And no, no Azumanga Daioh, because we had it last year and at the club. People hated it. It was the one anime that had the lowest reception. I guess people here just hated it...
    Lock them in the room until they like Azumanga Daioh! :P
  • XD Okay. I also don't like Azumanga Daioh, but meh. I'll throw it in... Since it's so highly recommended.