This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Could people help me find and decide upon animes for an upcoming convention?

2»

Comments

• Could you show any Cowboy Bebop?
  • I like the concept of Fate/Stay Night, but the anime was just generic crap designed to milk some money from the novels' fans.

Also, hearing Saber scream "EXXXXXCALIBURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" for twenty episodes in a row was less than satisfying. The franchise has a wealth of ideas from non-Fate scenarios like Unlimited Bladeworks and Heaven's Feel. Instead of implementing concepts from all three (five if you count hollow ataraxia and zero) scenarios, you just see the first one crammed into a somewhat short series. They were just introducing villains and killing them within a few episodes of each other.
  • Could you show any Cowboy Bebop?
    No it's rated R/MA (depending on who you talked to). 16+ is okay, but not R/MA.... V.v; If you could prove me wrong, definitively. I was so upset when I saw that.
    I like the concept of Fate/Stay Night, but the anime was just generic crap designed to milk some money from the novels' fans.

Also, hearing Saber scream "EXXXXXCALIBURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" for twenty episodes in a row was less than satisfying. The franchise has a wealth of ideas from non-Fate scenarios like Unlimited Bladeworks and Heaven's Feel. Instead of implementing concepts from all three (five if you count hollow ataraxia and zero) scenarios, you just see the first one crammed into a somewhat short series. They were just introducing villains and killing them within a few episodes of each other.
    Ah.. I saw the later episodes.. I loved it. A little confused (Oh god, who's that? What the hell is going on?) but it was awesome anyway. As for your.. description? I ... Have no clue what you're talking about. Didn't even know it was based on a novel..
  • Yep. It was based on a visual novel (lots o' text with some pretty pictures, i'd assume) by the same name. Said novel had a number of different continuities. The one you see in the anime is the Fate scenario, which I suppose is canon. Unfortunately, it also happens to be the most plain and uninteresting of the bunch (from the overall description, anyway).

Wait, you liked the latter part of the show? I found it to be tolerable until Caster entered the picture. Once Gilgamesh was in, things fell apart big time.
  • *shrugs* I saw it rather off-on, so I couldn't tell you. It was at the anime club, and unfortunately I suck at attending. like, hardcore. XD;
  • People hated it. It was the one anime that had the lowest reception. I guess people here just hated it...
    O_o WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM!? Or you?

Anyways, you could keep the overflow as backup. Say the entire room does not want to see the rest of the showing anime and want to see the next one. You could then do that and have backup to fill the new gap at the end. Or will everything be tightly scheduled with no room for change?
  • People hated it. It was the one anime that had the lowest reception. I guess people here just hated it...
    O_o WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM!? Or you?

Anyways, you could keep the overflow as backup. Say the entire room does not want to see the rest of the showing anime and want to see the next one. You could then do that and have backup to fill the new gap at the end. Or will everything be tightly scheduled with no room for change?
    Um. We're.. hicks? I dunno. *blinks*

I probably will, but I still need to pull it down several hours to get the schedule working properly... I understand how people are like, "We dun wanna watch all of this," we've done it last year, so overflow will be there. Right now, I'm trying to narrow it down, simply to get that gawddamned schedule up and out. ^_^;
  • edited January 2008
    For shonen ai, or as I rather call it BL, I suggest you go with Gravitation or Fake. They're short and sweet. Gravitation is a great anime because it's funny, it has a simple plot and it gets right to it. Fake is good for your format because it's short. I really don't recommend Kyo Kara Mao because it doesn't get exciting...like ever.

It sucks that you get harrasssed for showing something that has gay content in it.

For the other catagories, you can't go wrong with what you have except for what's listed below:
    Fate: Stay Night- I don't know anything about it so I can't recommend it.
    DNA2- It's just bad overall.
    Saiyuki- Even though it's techinically shonen, it's really only appeals fan girls.
    Samurai 7- It's just meh.
    Ai Yori Aoshi- Too much focus on boobies. Harem show.
    Kyo Kara Maoh- boooooooooring.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pretty gay and pretty awesome.
  • Cowboy Bebop isn't that violent or anything. Come on. It's not like there are perfectly portrayed and graphically intense fights in every episode. But yea, if you could swing the rating issue, it should be a definite yes.
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pretty gay and pretty awesome.
    The word is GAR, my friend.
    GAR.
  • For shonen ai, or as I rather call it BL, I suggest you go with Gravitation or Fake. They're short and sweet. Gravitation is a great anime because it's funny, it has a simple plot and it gets right to it. Fake is good for your format because it's short. I really don't recommend Kyo Kara Mao because it doesn't get exciting...like ever.

It sucks that you get harrasssed for showing something that has gay content in it.
    You don't like Kyo Kara Maoh? I prefer it over Gravitation. ..Never saw Fake, to be honest...
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pretty gay and pretty awesome.
    "GAR", eh? Well, I'm going to be attacked like crazy for having just one BL, so I'll...try and stick to one of the other three. .... Unless you mean gay in a different way?
    Cowboy Bebop isn't that violent or anything. Come on. It's not like there are perfectly portrayed and graphically intense fights in every episode. But yea, if you could swing the rating issue, it should be a definite yes.
    I was rather upset when I found out it was so high of a rating.. If the school would allow it, I'll definitively get it. However, in the same breath, I have a feeling 16+ is pushing it... Curse you high schools.
  • You don't like Kyo Kara Maoh? I prefer it over Gravitation. ..Never saw Fake, to be honest...
    With Kyo Kara Maoh, I only watched the first 5 episodes or so. In those episodes, if they kept the focus on Wolfram and Yuri I might have kept watching.
  • Ah I see. Well, I liked how it was BL.. with something other than BL in the plot. ^_^; I'm not too fond of romances that seem to are nothing but things that cause problems within the relationship. ..Er, if that makes any sense at all.
  • Amazon says Bebop's rating is PG-13, according to the MPAA. Try to use that as an argument.
  • Ah I see. Well, I liked how it was BL.. with something other than BL in the plot. ^_^; I'm not too fond of romances that seem to are nothing but things that cause problems within the relationship. ..Er, if that makes any sense at all.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. It turned into a bad harem show.
  • Amazon says Bebop's rating is PG-13, according to the MPAA. Try to use that as an argument.
    Hmm really... *grins* Awesome, I think I will.

Sorry I wasn't clear. It turned into a bad harem show.
    Bet that you hate Negima too (no offense meant; just a thought). Okay, I can see that. XD;
  • I just have a quick question, do you have the viewing permissions for any of the licensed shows? Because if you plan on showing them to a room of more than 20 people you legally need them because it isn't a private showing anymore.
  • Bet that you hate Negima too (no offense meant; just a thought). Okay, I can see that. XD;
    I don't like anything by Ken Akamatsu. No offense taken. :)
    I just have a quick question, do you have the viewing permissions for any of the licensed shows? Because if you plan on showing them to a room of more than 20 people you legally need them because it isn't a private showing anymore.
    From my experience with the RIT anime club, as long as you are working on getting the permissions, you can still show the show. Kage, you don't have to scramble to get them but as Mitsukai said make sure you do.
  • I just have a quick question, do you have the viewing permissions for any of the licensed shows? Because if you plan on showing them to a room of more than 20 people you legally need them because it isn't a private showing anymore.
    From my experience with the RIT anime club, as long as you are working on getting the permissions, you can still show the show. Kage, you don't have to scramble to get them but as Mitsukai said make sure you do.
    ...Is this the same with Canada...? We didn't even think about this.. Ugh..

I have a feeling that ..unless we have something like Death Note... we won't have any more than 10-15.. We were fine last year. XD;
  • From my experience with the RIT anime club, as long as you are working on getting the permissions, you can still show the show.
    Well...

That was a lie. We lied about that to keep the legal department at the school off our backs. You technically can't show the show unless you have express written permission before-hand and in-hand. Lie it may be, however, but it's a useful one that will serve you well.

Actually, if any of you will be at Connecticon, you should come to the "How to Run an Anime Club" panel we do there every year. Unlike at other cons, we pretty-much just give the crowd the straight-dope on what to do, both in the open and behind closed doors, when running a large fan club. It was standing room only last year. ^_^
  • Argh, but the con is in the US.. v.v; Sad sad Katie; it's too far away.

>> << I'll talk to the teacher again. He's help run cons before...
  • That was a lie. We lied about that to keep the legal department at the school off our backs. You technically can't show the show unless you have express written permission before-hand and in-hand. Lie it may be, however, but it's a useful one that will serve you well.
    Gah! Dan lied to me.