This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Edwards out!

edited January 2008 in Politics
Who will gain his 10 to 20 percent?

I lean towards Obama gaining an advantage however, I'm not sure how much I can discount a few other variables.

Comments

• I think that Obama will gain more of the Edwards supporters than Clinton will. Edward's message was more similar to Obama's.
  • Oh snap! I'm feeling the Obama/Edwards ticket now.
  • Oh snap! I'm feeling the Obama/Edwards ticket now.
    That would definitely be a strong force that the republicans could not defeat. I bet Guliani will drop out soon as well.
  • In my dreams, the team-up is Obama/Kucinich.
    But Obama/Edwards sounds good, too.
  • As much as I hate to admit it, Hillary is going to win the nomination.
  • As much as I hate to admit it, Hillary is going to win the nomination.
    I've been out of the loop in regards to current news, however what makes you say that?
  • Hillary won Florida, and will fight hard to have those delegates counted at the convention. Word on the street is that she'll win this fight.

She's going to win New York.

The real question is California. If Obama can win there, he's got a chance. If he doesn't, it's all over. Since the Hispanics seem to be supporting Hillary (if Florida is any indication), I suspect that she'll win California.

• The real question is California. If Obama can win there, he's got a chance. If he doesn't, it's all over. Since the Hispanics seem to be supporting Hillary (if Florida is any indication), I suspect that she'll win California.
    If it's Florida, it could be the old geezers and not the Hispanics.

• The real question is California. If Obama can win there, he's got a chance. If he doesn't, it's all over. Since the Hispanics seem to be supporting Hillary (if Florida is any indication), I suspect that she'll win California.
    If it's Florida, it could be the old geezers and not the Hispanics.
    It could very well be Diebold, instead.
  • Hillary won Florida, and will fight hard to have those delegates counted at the convention. Word on the street is that she'll win this fight.
    I heard rumors that Hillary broke her commitment to not campaign in Florida. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • She did break her commitment, and I think it was the old people who voted for Hillary as I'm pretty sure that Obama has a somewhat large Hispanic following.
  • edited January 2008
    As much as I hate to admit it, Hillary is going to win the nomination.
    I have very mixed feelings about this as well. I hate dynasties (I even hated the TV show Dynasty) and I'm very, very worried about the rabid opposition she engenders. However, if she wins the nomination I will try my best to support her becuase if she wins the election I can remind Steve every day that Hillary = Commander in Chief.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited January 2008
    Sorry to interject facts into this debate, but, in Florida, Hillary took the Hispanic vote 2:1 margin. That's why she's looking good in California.

Just because they are a minority does not mean that the Hispanics will rally around a black candidate. Rather, Hispanics tend to be very skeptical of a black candidate. (If NPR is to believed - that's where I heard it.)

What I'm not sure is how different the Cuban population in Florida is from the Latino population in California. Cubans have tended to vote Republican, so I'm not sure how many voted in the Democratic primary.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Sorry to interject facts into this debate, but, in Florida, Hillary took the Hispanic vote 2:1 margin. That's why she's looking good in California.

Just because they are a minority does not mean that the Hispanics will rally around a black candidate. Rather, Hispanics tend to be very skeptical of a black candidate. (If NPR is to believed - that's where I heard it.)

What I'm not sure is how different the Cuban population in Florida is from the Latino population in California. Cubans have tended to vote Republican, so I'm not sure how many voted in the Democratic primary.
    The problem is that no-one really campaigned in Florida. People that would suddenly be voting because they want to make a difference might not have even bothered to go out and vote if they knew it really didn't matter.
  • The problem is that no-one really campaigned in Florida. People that would suddenly be voting because they want to make a difference might not have even bothered to go out and vote if they knew it really didn't matter.
    Apparently Hillary did, even though she and the other candidates signed an agreement they wouldn't...
  • The problem is that no-one really campaigned in Florida. People that would suddenly be voting because they want to make a difference might not have even bothered to go out and vote if they knew it really didn't matter.
    Apparently Hillary did, even though she and the other candidates signed an agreement they wouldn't...
    If you agree to something stupid, you should be able to change your mind. Did this agreement have any recourse for someone to back out? This is the first time I've actually heard about it.
  • Don't kid yourself. Hillary broke her promise and campaigned there. Just because the events were "private" doesn't mean that she didn't get all of the media attention she wanted. She even positioned herself in front of palm trees before a photo-op so it would be clear that she was in Florida.

And once again, I hate to interject facts, but turnout amongst Democrats was heavy. Clinton claims that there was a record turnout, although I haven't seen this verified. What is verified is that it was indeed heavy. This is because there were some important ballot issues that were also being voted on, including a proposal to lower property taxes.
  • edited January 2008
    If you agree to something stupid, you should be able to change your mind.
    Yes, but you should do so with character.

First of all, if it was stupid to agree to it, then you're saying that Hillary herself was stupid.

If you do want to change the rules, you should work with your colleagues and come to a consensus as to how to change the stupid rule so that it's fair for everyone.

Hillary, rather, snuck into Florida at the last minute (because she lost SC) in a flagrant disregard for her agreement. Whether you like her or not, you can't deny that this is typical Clinton politicking. She's tough. Some people like it, and some don't.
  • edited January 2008
    More than any other reason, this quote shows why Obama lost in Florida:

Voters under 30, whom Obama has worked hard to recruit in other states, made up less than 10 percent of Florida's total.

That's his huge base, and they just weren't there in Florida.

Okay... enough thread crapping.
  • In case you missed it, Giuliani has also ended his campaign, throwing support behind McCain. I'm sure that will put at least Joe in some semblance of ease.
  • Partially campaigning does effect voting. Hillary put effort in in Florida where no one else did. Any results that came out of there on the Dem's side is questionable. It will help to see if that effects either side in the race. As for VP right now I think it will be Biden.
  • edited January 2008
    Hillary also went public with her "I'll get your delegates reinstated" speech prior to the voting. I call that campaigning.

If Hillary gets the nomination it will serve to galvanize the Republican base like nothing else can.

I have to wonder if Sean Hannity (and the rest of FOX News) is eating Crow tonight. Not only did Rudy drop out of the race but he threw his support behind McCain!!!

McCain is not unstoppable, he only got 35% (+/-) of the vote which means he did not win a majority of votes. I don't know why Huckabee is still in the running as his numbers continue to drop... Unless you listen to the conspiracy theorists who say is is only staying in to help split Romney voters and help McCain get the nomination.

Edwards as VP? Didn't he say he would not opt for the VP spot again? I also heard a rumor of him getting the AG spot in an Obama administration.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • First of all, if it was stupid to agree to it, then you're saying that Hillary herself was stupid.
    False dichotomy here. Smart people do dumb things on occasion, just as dumb people can occasionally do something smart (even by accident). Evil smart people lie when it's advantageous to do so.
  • edited January 2008
    What part are you looking at, Neito?
    I really hope Obama wins the nomination. He has been getting a lot of support recently, which is good. The problem is, if Hillary wins the nomination, I cannot see how the Democrats will win the election.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • What part are you looking at, Neito?
    The very first line after it loads. Precinct D001. 1,028 ballots cast, 930 registered voters.
  • Oh. Damn, that's some fraud right there. How the fuck did they get 98 extra voters?
  • edited January 2008
    Edwards should just give up now; he's always been a lot of talk and no action. I really hope he doesn't run come 2012.

Oh, neito, that looks kinda sketchy, but it's unofficial and I'm not one to say if it's fraud or not beside that. Good find though.
    Post edited by Infinity on
  • Infinity, Haven't you been paying attention.....
  • I know he dropped out, I meant that he should stop trying to get elected; he tried in 2004 too.