This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080207 - Sport Spectating

2»

Comments

• Geeknights should make more podcast when I have work do and less when I don't. The rest of the world revolves around me so you guys need to get with the trend.
    We'll get right on that.
  • Geeknights should make more podcast when I have work do and less when I don't. The rest of the world revolves around me so you guys need to get with the trend.
    *hypnotizes Railith's superiors and makes them change his work to a 4 day workweek, Monday through Thursday.*

"All we wanna do is eat your brains! We're not unreasonable, I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes." - Jonathan Coulton.
  • Skeptics' Guide (also libsyn) is having similar problems.
  • Conspiracy!
  • Conspiracy!
    Nah, just the end of the world.
  • Conspiracy!
    Nah, just the end of the world.
    The fates predicted the world ends when Geeknights is down. Along with the zombies and Skeptic's Guide.
  • Listening to GeekNights is aprivilegeboon given unto man by the very gods themselves, to be honoured and venerated into the ages for all time.
    There. ^_^
    Goddamn trumpet players.
  • Man I was so excited to hear a sports cast from the front row crew. This was just like the time I played Superman 64.
  • There. It's up.
  • One thing that I didn't hear you guys talk about is watching sports where you don't really care who wins or not.
    I play a lot of tennis and most of the time while I watch it I don't care who wins. I either cheer for the left handed player or I'm watching for the "holy shit!" factor; when the athletes do absolutely insane acts.
    I do this a lot when I watch hockey too. I played for like a year, sucked at it, and quit. But knowing enough about the game and not really caring any of the teams, I get a different experience. I see amazing feats happening in the game and can relate to how awesome it is.
  • If I could convert sound to liquid, Geeknights would be my heroin.

Someone's gonna quote that someday.
  • "holy shit!"
    That video is fake.
    edited February 2008
    Youtube result for 10,000 meters speed skating. This is from the last all-round championship.
    Awesome moments: at 40 seconds, and 1:05 at the bell. I you people could only understand the Dutch commentators, they stay very calm. (note, after 1:40 the race is done and just some reflection upon the race, the awesome moment at 40 seconds is repeated twice. Not worth watching the entire thing.)
    Post edited by ... on
  • Carl Sagan'sCosmos.
    Am I the only one who noticed that this is the French version of Cosmos?
  • edited February 2008
    Carl Sagan'sCosmos.
    Am I the only one who noticed that this is the French version of Cosmos?
    I did too, I tried to read it but...

It sucks.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The question that this episode raised for me is about rivalry in U.S sport. From what the guys were saying it seems like America doesn't have the huge rivalries that are in other countries top sports leagues such as the Ranger/Celtic, St Helens/Wigan, Hull/Hull KR or Liverpool/Everton (examples from Britain) and I wonder if this is due to the huge distances that are involved in American sports and that fact that following a team home and away really isn't an option?
    Or is it just because Americans don't put as much emotional investment into following a team for example, after this year's Super Bowl, there was no shots of the New England fans crying or looking totally destroyed, while if that was in England and a team lost like that, there would be loads of people in the crowd crying and showing raw emotion.
  • I did too, I tried to read it but...

It sucks.
    Are you saying that Carl Sagan's Cosmos sucks?
  • Or is it just because Americans don't put as much emotional investment into following a team for example, after this year's Super Bowl, there was no shots of the New England fans crying or looking totally destroyed, while if that was in England and a team lost like that, there would be loads of people in the crowd crying and showing raw emotion.
    Well, I'll admit that I do feel that taking it to that level, i.e., actually crying if your favourite sports team loses, is pathetic... ^_~

I think part of it is that America has a great many circuses to go along with our bread. There are so many sports, teams, and events in sporting here that few people will focus on just one, let alone to that degree. People are often fans of a city's teams almost as much as of specific teams from a city.
  • Or is it just because Americans don't put as much emotional investment into following a team for example, after this year's Super Bowl, there was no shots of the New England fans crying or looking totally destroyed, while if that was in England and a team lost like that, there would be loads of people in the crowd crying and showing raw emotion.
    Well, I'll admit that I do feel that taking it to that level, i.e., actually crying if your favourite sports team loses, is pathetic... ^_~

I think part of it is that America has a great many circuses to go along with our bread. There are so many sports, teams, and events in sporting here that few people will focus on just one, let alone to that degree. People are often fans of a city's teams almost as much as of specific teams from a city.
    In Britain sport is one of the few excuses that men have to cry in public, take that away and we have nothing!
    Been serious though, is crying at a sports game any more pathetic than crying at a sad film or T.V show? If anything it is less pathetic as at least sport is real.
  • The question that this episode raised for me is about rivalry in U.S sport. From what the guys were saying it seems like America doesn't have the huge rivalries that are in other countries top sports leagues such as the Ranger/Celtic, St Helens/Wigan, Hull/Hull KR or Liverpool/Everton (examples from Britain) and I wonder if this is due to the huge distances that are involved in American sports and that fact that following a team home and away really isn't an option?
    Or is it just because Americans don't put as much emotional investment into following a team for example, after this year's Super Bowl, there was no shots of the New England fans crying or looking totally destroyed, while if that was in England and a team lost like that, there would be loads of people in the crowd crying and showing raw emotion.
    There are some rivalries in sports in America - Red Sox/Yankees, White Sox/Cubs, Giants/Dodgers - but I would agree that people don't care about them as much as they would in other places. Also, it's interesting that of the three examples I can come up with of rivalries, all of them are in baseball, and all are geographically related - Red Sox/Yankees are in bordering states, White Sox/Cubs are in the same city, and Giants/Dodgers stems from when both teams were in New York.
  • White Sox/Cubs
    Yeah, except they never play each other. What about Packers/Bears? North Carolina versus Duke? Hungryjoe v. the dinosaurs?