This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Professor Layton and the fucking awesome village

edited February 2008 in Video Games
Seriously. This game is awesome. Did anyone else pick it up?

It's barely a game. It's like... it's puzzles with some text built around it. I love it.

Comments

• What's the story on the downloadable content?
  • I picked this up on Monday. I'm only 16 puzzles in. I haven't gotten the cat yet. The beginning animation sequence really got me. It was pretty impressive. So far the puzzles aren't too hard, however I'm sure down the road I'll definitely be using the hints.

So far, the game is pretty fun. I haven't tried the downloadable content yet. I want to get further into the game first.
  • Maybe I will get this.
  • I aslo picked up this game, I agree the animation is rad.
  • This game is absolutely awesome and I love that they will be sending a new puzzle each week.
  • What system is this for?
  • Nintendo DS. It's packed full of logic puzzles and riddles, some of which are easy to answer, some of which are not. I thought it might be a bit too "kiddy" for me, but it's been a lot of fun so far.
  • animation is rad.
    Perhaps it is tubular. Perhaps you need to party on. Perhaps you are Wyld Stalyn.
  • There is already a Penny Arcade for this one.

What I want to know is if the downloadable content will remain for a long time or, if I buy the game next month, will I miss the first few bonus puzzles?
  • Ok I tried downloading the first puzzle, but I got no luck. Anyone having a similar problem?
  • I picked this up on Monday. I'm only 16 puzzles in. I haven't gotten the cat yet. The beginning animation sequence really got me. It was pretty impressive. So far the puzzles aren't too hard, however I'm sure down the road I'll definitely be using the hints.

So far, the game is pretty fun. I haven't tried the downloadable content yet. I want to get further into the game first.
    Drop me a line when you get to "The Mouse Puzzle".
  • Puzzle 107 is kicking my ass. I HATE sliding puzzles.
  • Puzzle 107 is kicking my ass. I HATE sliding puzzles.
    Over 100 puzzles? I think the buying is imminent.
  • There are WELL over 100 puzzles. I think I've gotten puzzles numbered as high as 112 or 116.
  • 118 was the highest I saw. There's so many bonuses. Also weekly downloads, and though I've not unlocked it, "Layton's Challenges" is in the bonuses menu.
  • Drop me a line when you get to "The Mouse Puzzle".
    I just finished the "Too Many Mice" puzzle No.36.

Something I've noticed about these puzzles (Some of these puzzles can at first make you feel downright stupid for how obvious the answer is. I feel like most of them are trick puzzles. Regardless, I'm still having fun.)
  • I FUCKING HATE THAT PUZZLE.

I threw my stylus at my microwave when the answer hit me. I felt so stupid.
  • edited February 2008
    I FUCKING HATE THAT PUZZLE.I threw my stylus at my microwave when the answer hit me. I felt so stupid.
    Yeah, I felt the same way when I figured out the Germ puzzle. I spent a few minutes writing on a notepad multiplication figures.

Also, I finally got last week's down loadable puzzle. Great googly moogly, I'm stumped. Stupid match stick puzzles.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Highest I've seen so far is 129.
  • The first time I heard of this game was this weekend at Katsucon. EVER. And anybody else here who went to Katsu is probably as sick of hearing about it as I am.
  • I'm so tempted to keep a pad of puzzles on me and whenever someone I don't want talking to me tries to talk to me I'll make them solve one.
  • edited February 2008
    The first time I heard of this game was this weekend at Katsucon. EVER. And anybody else here who went to Katsu is probably as sick of hearing about it as I am.
    YES! It was everywhere. The metro stop, the floor touch pad (which was cool but...ARGH) the flyers, the people on segways, it was just too much.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • The first time I heard of this game was this weekend at Katsucon. EVER. And anybody else here who went to Katsu is probably as sick of hearing about it as I am.
    YES! It was everywhere. The metro stop, the floor touch pad (which was cool but...ARGH) the flyers, the people on segways, it was just too much.
    It was also being projected onto the side of the McDonald's, but regardless I'm surprised that such a seemingly small DS title has so much ad money behind it.
  • That's true. I have to admit targeting the con goers was smart, but it was overkill. I was glad to be away from the hype. Then I went to ANN....got dammit.
  • I've been waiting for this game for months, and got it the moment it was out here in Singapore. And so far, I've been enjoying myself. I'm only about 30 puzzles in. The story is quite interesting, and the animation is very nicely done.
  • Officially, there are 135 puzzles. To get to some of them near the upper numbers, you must finish the meta-puzzles(?), such as the painting, the inn puzzle, and building gizmo. I believe I have 87 puzzles complete as of now.
  • I want this game so bad. I've been reading stuff about it since before the translation of the name was fully decided. But I haven't seen it in shops anywhere around here... Probably will go to play-asia for it!
  • That's true. I have to admit targeting the con goers was smart, but it was overkill. I was glad to be away from the hype. Then I went toANN....got dammit.
    NO ESCAPE.
  • That's true. I have to admit targeting the con goers was smart, but it was overkill. I was glad to be away from the hype. Then I went toANN....got dammit.
    NO ESCAPE.
    Use an RSS reader.
  • Why am I not playing this game?