This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Castro's gone.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    You're an idiot.
    So what does his intelligence have to do with his opinion?
    A country where government employees get paid $19 per month
    Alright, and you're saying this is a bad thing because, they're payed to little? to much? Does that make Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong the best head of state in the world or the worst?
    and where people risk death by hopping in glorified bathtubs to try to sail to America.
    I'm sure I can find someone trying to swim the way, and I am sure I could find someone trying to swim the English channel
    Yeah... what a great place.
    You're right, it is a nice place, I was there a few years ago for my cousin's wedding, but have you ever been?
    The ONLY thing that has kept Cuba propped up is the huge amount of American dollars being sent there every month by relatives in the United States.
    Because the only real money is money from the stats, and the money from the vacationers really means nothing, nor all of their billions of dollars in trade.
    Don't kid yourself.
    Don't worry, I believe in multiple perspectives
    The simple truth is that Cuba is a stagnant shithole.
    Oh! Random name calling! Yay! We're both so mature now!
    It's got great potential, but the spat between the U.S. and Cuba has resulted in the country lagging significantly behind where it could be.
    Because you only need to be the best of buddies with the States to be a first world nation! Other problems they could have faced have no effects if you're friends with the States
    You can argue who is to blame, but don't think that Fidel has created a utopia.
    Who's saying he created a utopia? But he did keep a nation for direct foreign rule
    Fidel seized control of labor unions,
    By "seized" you mean they gave him control?
    expelled religion
    That's not quite right, he removed it from the government, so you don't have your leaders talking about how god talks to them
    and imprisoned thousands of political prisoners (up to 100,000 at one time).
    And that is a horrible thing, but at least these people are alive, unlike some in the States
    Violations of human rights have been extensive and extremely serious in Castro's Cuba, particularly in the case of detainees and political prisoners.
    Isn't this the kettle calling the pot black?
    Actually no I take that back, Castro lives up to treaties he signs
    Many have been assassinated, while thousands have been beaten, tortured physically and mentally, forced into hard labor, and locked into isolation cells (tapiadas).
    Again, we're almost back to the kettle and the pot, we only need to switch forced labour with kidnappings
    In Cuba there are two types of acute discrimination that constitute in fact an apartheid: one is political/ideological in nature and the other strictly economic.
    Oh go old-- wait we're still talking about Cuba aren't we?
    So yeah... this guy is great.
    Yes, he is great, that doesn't mean he's a good person, just a great person.
    And you sir, are a moron.
    So says the one undermining his own credibility with such immature diction.

Perhaps you can seal up your arguments and present them again?
    Ok, I just wanted to quote all that for the hell of it. Rym and Scott are gay, but more importantly; the forum rules tell you to not put the extra line break after quotes.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2008
    Ok, I just wanted to quote all that for the hell of it. Rym and Scott are gay, but more importantly; the forum rules tell you to not put the extra line break after quotes.
    They also say don't be annoying. Quoting that long ass post is annoying. You have been warned. I can handle line brakes, spamming the thread for no reason other than showing off your huge e-cock is something I cannot.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • They also say don't be annoying. Quoting that long ass post is annoying. You have been warned. I can handle line brakes, spamming the thread for no reason than other show off your huge e-cock is something I cannot.
    Objection! I was showing him how to to do it right. I'll just get my e-cock out of your mouth, shall I?
  • edited February 2008
    Objection! I was showing him how to to do it right. I'll just get my e-cock out of your mouth, shall I?
    Oh it was in there? I didn't even feel it.
    Don't fuck with me. There is a whisper function, so if you want to "help" people, try using that.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Oh, so that was your ass. I could have sworn you were talking out of it a second ago.
    Ok, Gentlemen, this is internet. Serious business. Sorry Andrew.
    Before we got off topic, we were comparing the various similarities and differences between Castro's Cuba and the Bush's US (not how both have two letters the same in each word.).

I was saying how I would prefer to live in a country run by a tyrant who was good at running things than live in a country that champions human rights but feel free to violate them.
  • I would prefer to live in a country run by a tyrant who was good at running things than live in a country that champions human rights but feel free to violate them.
    I think that quote is right up there with "If (insert politician here) wins the next election, I'm moving to (insert country here)!"

• I was saying how I would prefer to live in a country run by a tyrant who was good at running things than live in a country that champions human rights but feel free to violate them.
    So, why are you still here?
  • Wow.. All I'll say is that there are a lot of misconceptions in this thread about Cuba, Castro, and their relationships with the United States...

We might have to do a show on this. Of course, you all could just read Wikipedia or maybe a history book. ;^)
  • Wow.. All I'll say is that there are a lot of misconceptions in this thread about Cuba, Castro, and their relationships with the United States...

We might have to do a show on this. Of course, you all could just read Wikipedia or maybe a history book. ;^)
    Honestly I'm not surprised, though I'm also sure that I have my own misconceptions.
  • edited February 2008
    I would actually say that Guantanamo bay is worse than Cuba's political prisons.
    Would you prefer if they were classified as enemy saboteurs and shot? You might want to crack open a history book and read about the Cuban Missile Crisis and about Axis attempts at sabotage on American soil during World War 2.
    Herr Doktor Professor, please enlighten us and enumerate the many similarities between the Axis saboteurs and the denizens of Guantanamo.

Here's what I always thought: In 1942 eight German dudes landed in New Jersey looking to do some terror shenanigans after an actual war had been declared. They were quickly caught and charged with crimes. They had access to lawyers. They were quickly tried. They were granted appellate review of their convictions. Six of the eight guys were electrocuted, not shot. After the war was over, the other two guys were released. Source.

I'll admit, there are some striking similarities to Guantanamo: Instead of eight guys, there were about 775 guys in Guantanamo, including three children aged 13 to 15. Many have been released without trial or having been formally charged with anything. There are still some 355 guys there. No actual war has been declared besides the "War on Terror". Many (or most) of the detainees have never set foot on U.S. soil. In fact, many were transferred from CIA detention camps from overseas. Only 60 to 80 might get a trial. They've had problems with access to their lawyers, and they have been hampered in seeking appellate review. Most weren't even charged with crimes until 2006. Source.

Yeah. The Guantanamo guys of today and the German guys who landed in New Jersey in 1942 are exactly the same. You keep dreaming.

Edit: I laugh to think how many times the guy haughtily saying, "You might want to crack open a history book" like he's some sort of expert actually turns out to be an idiot.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on

Read more than one history book, you wouldn't want just one version of the facts now would you?
    As for Wikipedia, good for browsing not so hot as use as a reliable source of history.
  • Read more than one history book, you wouldn't want just one version of the facts now would you?
    Umm, that's assumed and implied.
    As for Wikipedia, good for browsing not so hot as use as a reliable source of history.
    Actually, Wikipedia is pretty damn accurate in most cases, especially with commonly known history.
  • edited February 2008
    It must be great there.
    Post edited by Jason on
    It must be great there.
    It must be great there.
    It must be great there.
    It must be great there.
  • edited February 2008
    One has to wonder what the US would be like if Bush was left in power for 50 years. The US once had great leaders who told the people to fear nothing but fear itself and now the leaders tell the people to fear everyone because they are a potential terrorist or threat.

Bush spends billions and billions of dollars to invade other countries while there are homeless in the streets, people unable to pay their oil bills and those struggling to keep up with medical expenses. He has brought the country to the brink of recession where millions stand to lose their jobs and yet he continues to fight a losing war against an invisible enemy. Is he any better than Castro when comes to caring for his own people?

In my opinion, the only difference between the two is that the people of the US got to vote their dictator into power (twice) and the people of Cuba had it forced upon them.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • edited February 2008
    One has to wonder what the US would be like if Bush was left in power for 50 years.
    We don't have to wonder. We have a democracy with presidential term limits. That's what makes us better than Cuba.
    In my opinion, the only difference between the two is that the people of the US got to vote their dictator into power
    Quit with the dramatics. Bush is not a dictator. He was elected under a system with separation of powers. You're bias is so transparent that it really calls into question any argument you make.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Argument? I thought I was giving an "opinion". Hence the "in my opinion" part of my post.
  • It must be great there.
    Are you seriously trying to make a point of how "bad" Cuba is by showing us a few pictures of people trying to get away? I'm not saying that Cuba is great, but it's better than what your implying by showing us those pictures.
  • Let's put this baby to bed. Anyone want to split a Cuban cigar?
  • I thought I was giving an "opinion".
    An opinion is worthless if it is premised on falsehoods.
  • Let's put this baby to bed. Anyone want to split a Cuban cigar?
    Count me in!
  • Are you seriously trying to make a point of how "bad" Cuba is by showing us a few pictures of people trying to get away? I'm not saying that Cuba is great, but it's better than what your implying by showing us those pictures.
    Cuba's better than a lot of people realize, but it's far from a pleasant place to live. I'd wager you'd rather live in any European, North American, Australian, or even South-East Asian nation before you'd live in Cuba.

As so why Cuba is such a mess, it's pretty-much 50/50 leftover Cold War politics from BOTH sides. The US did some shitty things. Cuba also did some shitty things. This is one of those situations where no one entity can hold all of the blame. Neither side's shittiness excuses the other's.
  • I thought I was giving an "opinion".
    An opinion is worthless if it is premised on falsehoods.
    If both of us visited an art gallery and my opinion was that a certain piece of work was ugly and you thought the same work was beautiful, who is false?
  • If both of us visited an art gallery and my opinion was that a certain piece of work was ugly and you thought the same work was beautiful, who is false?
    You.

• If both of us visited an art gallery and my opinion was that a certain piece of work was ugly and you thought the same work was beautiful, who is false?
    It depends on whether or not you base your opinion of the painting on your personal feelings of the painter. If you thought it was ugly because the painter slept with your wife, we would have a false premise.
    Let's say we go to the zoo. I say the tiger is orange, but in your opinion the tiger is purple. Who is false?
    Let's say we go to the zoo. I say the tiger is orange, but in your opinion the tiger is purple. Who is false?
    In an opinion, neither is false. An opinion is a persons feeling, not fact, Your opinions can be whatever your personal feeings are, but the fact is that the tiger is orange