This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Castro's gone.

13»

Comments

• If both of us visited an art gallery and my opinion was that a certain piece of work was ugly and you thought the same work was beautiful, who is false?
    Let's say we go to the zoo. I say the tiger is orange, but in your opinion the tiger is purple. Who is false?
    I don't think that would be an opinion.
  • If both of us visited an art gallery and my opinion was that a certain piece of work was ugly and you thought the same work was beautiful, who is false?
    Jesus Christ... we're not talking about art! You stated a fact (Bush is a dictator). When you couldn't back it up, you stated it was just your "opinion." This matter is not subjective. There is a definition of what a dictator is.

Just give it up already. You may not like Bush, and that's fine. But if you truly believe that he's a dictator, you need to go back to Fourth Grade civics.
  • Are you seriously trying to make a point of how "bad" Cuba is by showing us a few pictures of people trying to get away? I'm not saying that Cuba is great, but it's better than what your implying by showing us those pictures.
    Cuba's better than a lot of people realize, but it's far from a pleasant place to live. I'd wager you'd rather live in any European, North American, Australian, or even South-East Asian nation before you'd live in Cuba.

As so why Cuba is such a mess, it's pretty-much 50/50 leftover Cold War politics from BOTH sides. The US did some shitty things. Cuba also did some shitty things. This is one of those situations where no one entity can hold all of the blame. Neither side's shittiness excuses the other's.
    But Cuba is a North American country by most measures.

And I have to ask (again), why do Americans seem so afraid of Cuba? Is there something inherently wrong with Cuba? Or are some loud people state side just obsessed with their own dicks to the point they feel they need to put down any other nation that doesn't agree with them?

Hmm; that would explain the way the states tend to act regarding the French...
  • But Cubaisa North American country by most measures.
    I'm not arguing that US/Soviet Cold War politics didn't create the situation we have today with Cuba, nor am I arguing that the US's policy toward Cuba has been enlightened since the fall of the USSR.

What I am saying is that, regardless of the how and the way, Cuba is a fairly terrible place to live.
  • edited February 2008
    I'm not arguing that US/Soviet Cold War politics didn't create the situation we have today with Cuba, nor am I arguing that the US's policy toward Cuba has been enlightened since the fall of the USSR.

What I am saying is that, regardless of the how and the way, Cuba is a fairly terrible place to live.
    It would be crappy to live there. It's too hot, the architecture sucks, their music is tiresome, and their food is unappetizing.

However, if you want to talk about Cuba and the U.S. being unpleasant to each other during the Cold War, don't forget how the U.S. propped up Batista. If it hadn't been for the U.S. involvement in Batista's corrupt shenanigans, Castro might have simply continued his law practice.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • This may be somewhat relevant, but it really just made me laugh and I had to share it:

• Yeah. That is a good one. I sent it to all my friends yesterday =P
  • Sanctions continued after the cold war because Florida is such an important state in the national election process. The Cuban-Americans overwhelmingly wanted sanctions to continue, and no politician was willing to lose their vote.

It's an interesting example of how one group can have so much influence despite being a minority. They live in the right state and know how to take advantage of that.
  • Here is a snapshot of Omnutia's Cuban utopia.