This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gary Gygax dead

edited March 2008 in Role Playing Games
Article.
Apparently, he was in failing health for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm. He was 69.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    The only good thing he did (in my opinion) was that episode of Futurama.
    EDIT: Sorry, typo.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • He failed his Save vs Death roll.
  • Alright, who's got a 1000 gp diamond on hand?
  • The only good think he did (in my opinion) was that episode of Futurama.
    He apparently didn't teach you to spell either.
  • I have a joke, but I have to save it for the show.
  • I just heard the news on the radio.
  • edited March 2008
    I find all of you guys cracking jokes despicable. Although I haven't played a role-playing game in my entire life, I still count him towards one of the greats of geekdom among the likes of Ozamu Tezuka, Richard Garfield, J.R.R. Tolkien and a few others. You can say about him what you will but he is one of the pioneers of geekdom and without him, the world as we see it and we enjoy so much wouldn't be the same.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited March 2008
    Via Penny Arcade:
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited March 2008
    I find all of you guys cracking jokes despicable. Although I haven't played a role-playing game in my entire life, I still count him towards one of the greats of geekdom among the likes of Ozamu Tezuka, Richard Garfield, J.R.R. Tolkien and a few others. You can say about him what you will but he is one of the pioneers of geekdom and without him, the world as we see it and we enjoy so much wouldn't be the same.
    It's not that I don't respect him, it's more that I have never played a tabletop role playing game and I was never touched in any way by his work.
    EDIT: After thinking about his contributions to the realm of geekiness, I am now feeling the effects of his unfortunate demise and my cold heart is now feeling remorse. This is a very strange occurrence for this bitter husk of a human being.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I find all of you guys cracking jokes despicable. Although I haven't played a role-playing game in my entire life, I still count him towards one of the greats of geekdom among the likes of Ozamu Tezuka, Richard Garfield, J.R.R. Tolkien and a few others. You can say about him what you will but he is one of the pioneers of geekdom and without him, the world as we see it and we enjoy so much wouldn't be the same.
    \

Joking about his death is one way of dealing with it. I think most here respect the contribution's he made, things like Burning wheel might never have existed.
  • This guy had a big influence on geekdom today. Roll your D20's in his honor on this day!
  • This guy had a big influence on geekdom today. Roll your D20's in his honor on this day!
    I'm going to enshrine a d20 in mourning.

D&D;, as broken as that system was, gave me my introduction into roleplaying. Nobody will forget Gygax's mark on the world of gaming.

And I echo what Cremlian said. Joking about it is a way to deal with it. It's not a hallmark of insensitivity.
    Here's an 18, Gary.

I think that's how some people cope though, with jokes. To be honest, I didn't know the creator of D&D;'s name. =
  • XKCD

/win.
  • That is my thing of the day.
  • I think older geeks probably appreciate Gary Gygax more than younger ones because he had a bigger impact on their lives.
  • Younger as in punk kids and teens or under 30 younger?

I say maybe because a lot of the D&Ders I know had no idea who he was or found out from Futurama. Then again there a lot in the gen now who are big D&Ders who appreciate it and those who didn't certainly do now in retrospect.
  • jccjcc
    edited March 2008
    Younger as in punk kids and teens or under 30 younger?
    I'd say impact grows as the age grows.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I corresponded a few times with Gary when he was looking into writing some material for the HackMaster game. I also conversed with him a lot on various RPG boards. He was always gracious.
  • I know that the separation with this board and /b/ is rather large, but this was too awesome to pass up showing.

• This proves /b/ ruins lives!
  • What the fuck was that?
  • Hrm. Joking about Gary Gygax's death seems like bad taste to me. The guy basically turned Lord of the Rings into what was to become the Dungeons and Dragons we enjoy today. Celebrate his life, and stop looking to 4chan for eulogies... please...
  • Joking about Gary Gygax's death seems like bad taste to me
    Nothing is sacred when it comes to humour. Nothing.
  • Joking about Gary Gygax's death seems like bad taste to me
    Nothing is sacred when it comes to humour. Nothing.
    Maybe it should've been better phrased? Such as, "You shouldn't joke about that on here?" Because every social faux pas will be done over at 4Chan...
  • Well, in any case, putting Gary Gygax and 4chan in the same sentence seems like bad taste to me. Hell, putting 4chan and damn near anything in the same sentence is bad taste.
  • I'm only 17 and I know who Gary Gygax was. He created the most basic form of the leveling system found in most RPGs today. If it weren't for this man, there is no way of telling where table-top gaming would have gone. I play D&D with my friends once and a while, but I still appreciate what he did for us.