This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good techno.

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
I really like techno and electronic music, but I don't know many good DJs. As of right now, the only ones I listen to are Aphex Twin, Daft Punk, and The Avalanches.

What other good techno exists?

Comments

• Go download each soundtrack to Initial D. Go now. I'm fuckin' serious.
  • edited March 2008
    If you like techno, and more specifically trance, you should be listening to this podcast.

Most of the other electronic music is house like Daft Punk and and a little LCD Soundsystem.

[Edit] Oh, and Eurobeat. The Initial D torrent is a good start.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The Dance Department podcast is awesome they have guests like Paul Van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, DJ Tiesto, Djuma Soundsystem, BT and many others. It is a great place to hear new techno and basically it's an hour or more of good music every week professionally mixed. I like (aside from the DJ's listed above) Crystal Method, Paul Oakenfold, The Orb, Bob Sinclar, Armand Van Helden, DJ Scooter, DJ Sammy, Vinylshakerz, and Infected Mushroom. That should give you a nice mix of styles to sample.

It's a good idea to figure out what you like and what it's called, see the guide. That will greatly increase your chances of finding music you like.
  • edited March 2008
    To listen to the latest and greatest in dance, heres the #1 radio show run by the world's #1 DJ (no longer Tiesto, thank god)

A State of Trance

Download that show and hundreds more at All DJ

BT is my hero. I've seen him a bunch of times. I saw Armin van Buuren live and that was pretty amazing. I'll just list some of my favorites electronic musicians.

Armin van Buuren
    BT
    Deadmau5
    Gabriel & Dresden
    Junkie XL
    Kyau & Albert
    Gareth Emery
    Hybrid
    DT8 Project
    Above and Beyond
    Pryda
    Markus Schulz
    and many more lol

I also have a soft-spot for cheesy DDR, Eurobeat, and Eurobeat songs. Especially Rym and Scott's favorite group E-Rotic
    Post edited by solarplexus7 on
  • If you like Daft Punk, you should check out Justice and Basement Jaxx.
  • A State of Trance
    Duh, I listen to the State of Trance on XM. As for "cheesy soft spot's" mine has to be 80's remakes like Vinylshakerz "One Night in Bangkok" or "Club Tropicana".
  • Lets see,
    -Apparat's latest album, Walls, was fantastic, and his previous collaboration with Ellen Allien, Orchestra of Bubbles, was almost as great. Both of them are on Bpitch Records, and there are a bunch of awesome other artists on that label.
    -Boards of Canada are really awesome, and I need to get their new album. You should check out Music Has The Right To Children, Geogaddi, or The Campfire Headphase. You can't really go wrong with BOC.
    -If you like how ambient BOC is, you might consider checking out some more minimalist stuff like Audion, Ricardo Villalobos, or Gabriel Ananda.
    -Since you like Aphex Twin, you should probably like Venetian Snares and other breakcore artists.
    -Other assorted artists: Dominik Eulberg, Dimensional Holofonic Sound, The Chemical Brothers, Nathan Fake, Dan Deacon, Modeselektor, and The Knife.
    That's all I have at the moment. If I find any glaring omissions, I'll edit them in.
  • Anything in the style of the GiTS OPs?
  • I know this may not be the write place to say, but I really can't stand listening to electronic music. I think Daft Punk is awesome, but listing to any other form of House, Trance or Speed Core (just to name a few) makes me sick. Sorry, but I had to get that out. ^^
  • edited March 2008
    I know this may not be the write place to say, but I really can't stand listening to electronic music. I think Daft Punk is awesome, but listing to any other form of House, Trance or Speed Core (just to name a few) makes me sick. Sorry, but I had to get that out. ^^
    Listen to MSTRKRFT and Chemical Brothers. They're really accessible, like Daft Punk.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5252885575373336102 (NSFW)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3480625512455277144

Aphex Twin may make you sick, but it's still super high quality.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2727946189754209238
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7577576355514359267 (NSFW)

And thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll be sure to check as many of them as I can out.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Thanks for all the effort, getting together those videos, and be sure that I watched them all, but I still don't really understand what's supposed to be good about techno. I guess the type of music I love is just to much on the different side of the spectrum. ^_~
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks for all the effort, getting together those videos, and be sure that I watched them all, but I still don't really understand what's supposed to be good about techno. I guess the type of music I love is just to much on the different side of the spectrum. ^_~
    I just really enjoy listening to loops of sounds with minimal vocals while I do homework or go on the internet. It makes for good background music. When there's a lot of singing or a lot of differing parts to the song, it makes reading things difficult for me. Take Aphex Twin's Windowlicker for example: it's kinda relaxing and smooth, and it's really nice to listen to while I do other things.

On a different note, I started listening to this great electronica group recently, Ghostland Observatory. They're pretty amazing.

Piano Man by Ghostland Observatory (not a cover).
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Last.fm is always your friend, for finding similar artists.
  • edited March 2008
    Favorite DJs or albums:
    - DM Ashura (does some DDR music, most of it can be found on bemanistyle. It's usually really trance-y)
    - Dancemania albums, in general. Here is a link where you can get a ton of the tracks and CDs: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/d
    - Kyle Ward- does music for ITG. His music has a variety of sounds. http://www.kyle-ward.com/downloads/
    - Next Tribe- Japanese techno group. Sounds a lot like video game music. http://www.myspace.com/exhaustedrecord
    - Maru- a chiptune (makes his music with game boys) artist that I found out about awhile ago. It's not really great to dance to, but it's cool music. http://www.myspace.com/maru303

The Chemical Brothers are alright, too...but I've really never listened to much of their stuff outside of what they have on DDR.

Then other than that, most of the techno I find out about is via DDR or the techno stations on iTunes (some of which are damn good, BTW).
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited January 2011
    -_- Funny, but that's like saying rap music is "boom boom tap".
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited January 2011
    Fuck that graph.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Orbital
    Chicane
    Early Prodigy

And... Kraftwerk.
  • edited January 2011
    Tecno, I listen to you.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • That's not techno. That's eurobeat.
  • That's not techno. That's eurobeat.
    Nope. It's Super Eurobeat. A sub-sub-sub genre.
  • Falling under the genre of eurobeat, still. There are similar sub-sub-sub genres of techno, but (Super) Eurobeat is not among them.
  • Falling under the genre of eurobeat, still. There are similar sub-sub-sub genres of techno, but (Super) Eurobeat is not among them.
    Correct. However, techno and eurobeat are both under the same genre of electronica.
  • Eurobeat made me think of Newbeat. Which made me think of Front 242!

One : you lock the target...
  • electronica
    Which is itself a form of electronic music.
  • I like both kinds of music, country and western.
  • electronica
    Really? I thought electronica was just a short way of saying electronic music.
  • electronica
    Really? I thought electronica was just a short way of saying electronic music.
    It should be but the sub-genre-fictation of all 'music made with ..' is ridiculous.