This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Inside Jokes

edited December 2005 in GeekNights
Ok people. We've received multiple requests for us to explain inside jokes. So, we're going to do a show explaining them. The problem is, what inside jokes have we used? We've said so many, and they are so natural, that we aren't sure what we need to explain.

So please, in this thread tell us which inside jokes we've used in the show need explaining.

Comments

• Why don't you just explain them when you use them!!!!!

Because we all know how hard it is to think of the inside jokes on the fly!

This way you can referance an inside thing and then explain it = more Podcast!
  • It's interesting. Many of the things that some of our listeners claim are "inside jokes" are actually well-known within anime, gaming, or other geekly communities. We generally avoid references that are entirely internal to our friend network.

It's difficult to gauge when something should be explained. What's the line on obscurity? Leeeroy Jenkins? ORLY YARLY? noes/snaps? "I bent my wookie."?

We'll make an effort to explain things that we could not in good faith expect our listeners to understand, but it's a much greyer area beyond that.
  • Yeah, what Rym said. We really need people to ask about a specific inside joke or we wont know if we need to explain it. That's why we have an email address, a phone number and these forums. Use them.
  • Oh shit, it's Wolverine!
  • Oh shit, it's Wolverine!
    I feel left out of this one. :(

Oh well. At least I still have 8 people and this fucking fish tank.
  • edited August 2009
    A bit of Google work brings up this from Twitter:
    The MRD needs two designations in its sensors: "mutant" and "Oh shit, it's Wolverine!
    Further Googling suggests this has to do with the recent animated series "Wolverine and the X-Men" and that "MRD" stands for Mutant Reponse Division in this series. I'm guessing that the series isn't very good, but that in typical fashion watching it with enough people is a source of humour?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Here are a few that I've heard either once or more times.

"Nothing moves the Blob...except Cyclops!"
    "It's a secret to everyone."
    "You want a HARVEY WALLBANGER!!"

That's all I can remember at the moment.
  • "It's a secret to everyone."
    That's not an inside joke. Well, unless you never burned any bushes in The Legend of Zelda.
    I'm guessing that the series isn't very good, but that in typical fashion watching it with enough people is a source of humour?
    No, the show is actually awesome.
  • "Nothing moves The Blob!" is The Blob's catchphrase, "except Cyclops" is probably a reference to the arcade game, as a full blast is what moves him at the end.

• A bit of Google work brings up this from Twitter:
    The MRD needs two designations in its sensors: "mutant" and "Oh shit, it's Wolverine!
    Further Googling suggests this has to do with the recent animated series "Wolverine and the X-Men" and that "MRD" stands for Mutant Reponse Division in this series. I'm guessing that the series isn't very good, but that in typical fashion watching it with enough people is a source of humour?
    I view this series of the X-men the best X-men cartoon yet made, it seems to take all that was good with the original X-men cartoon and takes the few things X-men Evolution did right and combines them to make "mostly" smart adaption of the X-men.
  • I'll have to give it a shot, then.
  • "Nothing moves The Blob!" is The Blob's catchphrase, "except Cyclops" is probably a reference to the arcade game, as a full blast is what moves him at the end.
  • Wow, even me, Mr. Uninformed, knew the first two on your list, Yupa. I feel special.
    Well, not really, because those are generic internet memes. Sorry.
  • Well, unless you never burned any bushes in The Legend of Zelda.
    I think you mean "every bush in The Legend of Zelda".
  • Okay, well does anyone else have any ideas? I know there are a multitude of jokes in the show, but they are appear to be few and far between as far as mentioning them in the show goes, and yet I can't remember a lot of them off-hand.
  • Well, unless you never burned any bushes in The Legend of Zelda.
    I think you mean "every bush in The Legend of Zelda".
    Or touched some statues.

"Warm today" comes to mind for an unexplained inside joke.
  • And the counterpart to "Wahm today... wahm yesterday."

1957 (or 58)

Woman!
  • You know, I don't think there's a single "inside joke" that Rym and Scott use that I don't get. If you listen long enough, eventually the explain every joke they use, either here or on the show.
  • I'm assuming you mean jokes present on the podcast.
  • Woman!
    They've explained "WOMAN!" before. My friends and I used "woman!" to indicate Chicago cold all winter after that podcast.
  • Another example of an inside joke with the FRC that isn't an inside joke but a reference to a meme is "I will never forget my year with the Dragon."
  • I was at a restaurant and some guy at another table cut a pretty loud fart. Everyone looked over at him so he started to laugh and said, "Sorry, inside joke." It was the coolest fart recovery I had every seen, but I'm too afraid to use it myself.
  • I was at a restaurant and some guy at another table cut a pretty loud fart. Everyone looked over at him so he started to laugh and said, "Sorry, inside joke." It was the coolest fart recovery I had every seen, but I'm too afraid to use it myself.
    LOL, how awesome.
  • Woman!
    I sent a message to my Ex-girlfriend (before I'd tacked on the Ex part) that was basicly the "Woman" speech, but replacing every instance of "space" with "Leeds" and "attempting Reentry" with "going to manchester"
  • Rocket artillery
    Ahahaha.
  • Rocket Artillery
    Okay, if you get to do that, I get to do this (and it's the only one, I promise):
    Pyramid!
  • edited August 2009
    The "can't lift ten pogeymans" thing really died, didn't it? I'm not totally surprised though, considering how overused it got.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So did "ooBOOOOOONtooooo". Some of these things just have a short shelf life.