This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Inside Jokes

Comments

• More like:
    Ziggurat!
  • edited August 2009
    Don't you know ziggurats are bad for your health?!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Cat Urine!
  • edited August 2009
    Cat Urine!
    Uhh...we're not playing shout random nouns. Cat urine?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Yes, Cat Urine is an in joke between me and my friends.
  • Yes, Cat Urine is an in joke between me and my friends.
    Fair enough, but I think this thread is about Geeknights inside jokes.
  • What about the WWII discussion and the Berry Argument?
  • You mean the argument that decided that every berry actually isn't?
  • What WWII discussion?
  • The "can't lift ten pogeymans" thing really died, didn't it? I'm not totally surprised though, considering how overused it got.
    Don't.
    Yeah, which is wrong. :) SOME berries are, and some berries aren't.

I will be happy to provide literature.
    Yeah, which is wrong. :) SOME berries are, and some berries aren't.

Stupid drupes.
  • Yeah, which is wrong. :) SOME berries are, and some berries aren't.

I'm pretty sure every berry we named in the argument with the word berry in it, was not technically a berry.
  • Yeah, which is wrong. :) SOME berries are, and some berries aren't.

I'm pretty sure every berry we named in the argument with the word berry in it, was not technically a berry.
    Blueberries are. I was corrected on that point.
  • Is Wikipedia wrong? It may be referred to as a berry by people but botanically at least according to Wikipedia it is a false berry.
  • You can only pick up on somebody's incorrect use of a term like "berry" or "vegetable" if you immediately say "According to the terms used by experts to unambiguously classify these things, that isn't actually a berry." If you just insist that something isn't a berry, without even hinting at context, you're just being an ass.

And I mean ass in the colloquial descriptive meaning, not in the colloquial name for an equus africanus asinus.
  • edited August 2009
    You can only pick up on somebody's incorrect use of a term like "berry" or "vegetable" if you immediately say "According to the terms used by experts to unambiguously classify these things, that isn't actually a berry." If you just insist that something isn't a berry, without even hinting at context, you're just being an ass.

And I mean ass in the colloquial descriptive meaning, not in the colloquial name for an equus africanus asinus.
    I don't believe Luke that you've never witnessed the true extend of one of these in person FRC debates :-p

I mean it all started with the simple question "What is the best berry"....
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I mean it all started with the simple question "What is the best berry"....
    Well, there are basically two schools of thought...
  • edited August 2009
    A blueberry is still a TYPE of berry. It is simply not classified in the "true" category of berry. Do not confuse "true berry" with "the one true berry." A blueberry falls under the category of "Epigynous berry." All that means is that the final fruit has some parts attached that are not exclusively part of the female reproductive part of the plant. It still has the same carpel structure.

In basic dendrology, we don't usually distinguish between types of berries. The important thing for most plants is the arrangement of carpels, ovaries, and seeds. A blueberry has the same arrangement of these things as a persimmon, but it is recessed behind the flower instead of in front of it.

ALSO, as an aside...they are not juniper berries. They are juniper cones. That's right, cones. Fleshy, peltate cones. Junipers are gymnosperms, and as such they cannot produce fruit. They have no ovaries, and the definition of a fruit is a ripened ovary. Pete.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • They have no ovaries, and the definition of a fruit is a ripened ovary. Pete.
    Hey, I admitted to being corrected about the blueberry thing! Don't you come in here waving your ripened ovaries at me young lady!
  • edited August 2009
    Posted by: Nuri[T]he definition of a fruit is a ripened ovary.
    No, the definition of a fruit is Omnutia. LOL.

Edit: His name kinda sounds like fruit. As in, "I think I'll go to the Omnutia orchard and fill this bushel basket with Omnutias."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • They have no ovaries, and the definition of a fruit is a ripened ovary. Pete.
    Hey, I admitted to being corrected about the blueberry thing! Don't you come in here waving your ripened ovaries at me young lady!
    You weren't complaining.

I was referring to your love of Gin, actually.
  • edited August 2009
    You weren't complaining.
    That's because I was too confused and bewildered to say anything. :P
    I was referring to your love of Gin, actually.
    Ah yes, the gin. If only my liver could love it as much as the rest of me...

I already knew that the juniper "berry" was really a cone; that's why most gin tastes somewhat like drinking pine needles. A good gin should remind you that you're goddamn well drinking.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Pete, you like gin?
    I foresee a gin party in Albany in the very near future.
  • What about Take Poop, then use Poop on Crazy Guy?
  • edited August 2009
    They have no ovaries, and the definition of a fruit is a ripened ovary.
    Wow, so when I'm doing my next ovariohysterectomy and the bitch is in heat - I can officially tell my nurse that I'm taking this bitch's fruit out!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • They have no ovaries, and the definition of a fruit is a ripened ovary.
    Wow, so when I'm doing my next ovariohysterectomy and the bitch is in heat - I can officially tell my nurse that I'm taking this bitch's fruit out!!!!!!!!!
    ...No. XD

Mammal ovaries don't ripen. A ripened ovary contains fertilize seeds. Mammal sperm and eggs do not unite inside the ovary. Isn't biology AWESOME?
  • They have no ovaries, and the definition of a fruit is a ripened ovary.
    ...No. XD

Mammal ovaries don't ripen. A ripened ovary contains fertilize seeds. Mammal sperm and eggs do not unite inside the ovary. Isn't biology AWESOME?
    Joking!!
  • Joking!!
    I know. I just have to explain it anyway. It's compulsive.
  • Joking!!
    I know. I just have to explain it anyway. It's compulsive.
    Nuri, what's your specialty exactly?