This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hulu

Comments

• Naked Lunch is on Hulu, and I encourage everyone to watch it. One of my favorite movies of all time.
  • Naked Lunchis on Hulu, and I encourage everyone to watch it. One of my favorite movies of all time.
    Is it the full movie, or just clips from it?
  • Naked Lunchis on Hulu, and I encourage everyone to watch it. One of my favorite movies of all time.
    Is it the full movie, or just clips from it?
    Full. :D
  • Hmm, the only thing I see wrong with this site so far are the ads. However, I can see us using it occasionally, or at least until Netflix works on the Mac.
    Scott, are you really going to complain about a free streaming media service that supports itself on 3 commercials per show? Also, they make it incredibly convenient to ignore. Just stand up and do something else (or just surf online) and click the circle on the timeline after the commercial ends. It will start right after the show continued.

In my opinion, definitely better than spending +$20 on a box set. Also, they have Newsradio!
  • The thing is, stuff expires.
  • The thing is, stuff expires.
    Only some stuff. Most stuff is permanent, like the old Speed Racer cartoons.
  • I watch House on it. Its great.
  • I watch House on it. Its great.
  • Hulu has international support since March.
    Buh?
  • Also, you have to turn off AdBlock or suffer all kinds of stupid 30-second-long commercial breaks all the time. If you have it off, they tend to be shorter and less frequent.
    Sounds like AdBlock needs an upgrade that fools the originating site into thinking you are receiving the ads rather than blocking them. It could get the packets and then simply not display the ads.
  • Sounds like AdBlock needs an upgrade that fools the originating site into thinking you are receiving the ads rather than blocking them. It could get the packets and then simply not display the ads.
    That would be bad. Doing that would mean that one of the major advantages of AdBlock, the faster loading of pages, would be lost. They would need to find some other method of fooling them into thinking you have viewed the ads.
  • Also, you have to turn off AdBlock or suffer all kinds of stupid 30-second-long commercial breaks all the time. If you have it off, they tend to be shorter and less frequent.
    How is that even possible? Is the site deliberately sabotaging Adblock users?
  • edited June 2008
    Not a bad selection on Hulu, not a whole lot of movies but good enough for now, and the TV shows are great

Uh uh, its Speed Racer Time!
    and Astro Boy
    Post edited by Reol on
  • I just watched half of the newest Daily Show Episode on Hulu. At first I was thinking oh no, there goes my free time. I thought I was going to lose a few hours a week watching the show again, after giving up TV for years. I don't know if it was a bad episode or what, but it was not funny. I think I'll stick to the clips that get really popular on the web. I'm thinking that it just isn't that funny the rest of the time, even thought it is obvious that Stewart is still at the top of his game, I think the writing is a little bleh.
  • Colbert > Stewart.
  • Colbert > Stewart.
    Yes.
  • Colbert > Stewart.
    Yes.
    Actually, I never liked Colbert.
  • Actually, I never liked Colbert.
    Oh man Scott, you're such a jokester.
  • Oh man Scott, you're such a jokester.
    Honestly? I hardly ever find Colbert funny, and I never really did.
  • Colbert's humor is that he is playing a caricature of Conservative pundits. His best shows are when his guests play along.

The one where he had Jane Fonda and another guest on to talk about their new woman's talk radio network was excellent. He did the interview with them in a kitchen set and I think he was wearing a "kiss the cook" apron. The entire interview they were baking pies!

Colbert has to be seen to be appreciated because so much of his comedy is based on sight gags.
  • Colbert is a one-joke pony.
    But it's a funny joke.
    But it's a funny joke.
    Debatable.
  • edited February 2009
    No more hulu on boxee.
    Let me get this straight. Users of boxee could watch shows legally on their machines. The content providers could profit from advertisements contained within said programming.

Now they can no longer watch these shows for free.

A computer that is capable of using boxee is also capable of using a bittorrent client. See the problem here?

This is why I have no sympathy for the media companies. They need a cohesive strategy that at least pretends to address what the consumer wants. Right now everything is fractured and anti-consumer.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Apple had a role in this. No Hulu on boxee means more ITunes downloads. Although, NBC has a rocky relationship with Apple, so I suspect that it's just NBC being stupid on its own.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Apple had a role in this. No Hulu on boxee means more ITunes downloads. Although, NBC has a rocky relationship with Apple, so I suspect that it's just NBC being stupid on its own.
    But you can still watch it on Hulu's site. It's the same damn thing. I don't understand why this was a problem at all.
  • edited February 2009
    Does it format as well for the TV screen if you watch it directly from Hulu instead of boxee?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Does it format as well for the TV screen if you watch it directly from Hulu instead of boxee?
    Yes, it formats as well for the screen. Actually, it's a little bit better because you can change the subtitles and such. The problem is that the user interface is more difficult.

People seem to forget the point of Boxee. The point is that sitting two feet away from a high resolution screen is a very different experience compared to sitting 8 feet away from even a very large screen. The same user interfaces do not work in both circumstances. A precision pointing device like a mouse and arrow are very difficult for a television. Boxee provides a user interface that works with just a few buttons, and is easily visible across the room. Hulu may work just as well if you open your browser, but typing in URLs and clicking tiny links is a pain in the ass in the living room compared to using something like Boxee.
  • Thankfully, people have already worked out how to put Hulu back on Boxee via a plugin.
  • Thankfully, people have already worked outhow to put Hulu back on Boxee via a plugin.
    I could do this, but I'm not going to. If they don't want me to watch their stuff, I'll just watch something else. They can have it their way.