This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The 80s Thread

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
C'mon old people, help me relive my childhood. Don't let those whipper-snappers in The 90s Thread show us up.

tByeOopVyrs

Comments

• Up until about '86, you could still smoke just about anyplace you wanted. That was nice.
  • Up until about '86, you could still smoke just about anyplace you wanted.
    Change is good ^_~
  • edited March 2008
    Up until about '86, you could still smoke just about anyplace you wanted.
    Change is good ^_~
    Smoke Nazi.

The best thing about the 80s was the Golden Age of Arcades. Anyone who had even a closet sized sopace free had a couple of coin-operated games stuffed inside it. And you could smoke there, so it was double-win.

@Jason, those 80s cartoons mostly sucked. Animation was dead from the end of Bullwinkle to the beginning of The Simpsons.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited March 2008
    imageimage

Old School Car Phones. The one on the right is the kind I had in my car circa 1993.

Portable computing in the 1980's. Also referred to as a "luggable". Yes, I owned one of these.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Weren't those Kaypro deals pretty expensive?
  • I was born in 89' so I don't remember any of the 80's other than reruns of the cartoons and playing NES games at a friend's house.
  • God, I miss the Soviet Union. :(
  • Smoke Nazi.
    Sure. ^_^

As I always say, so long as people have the right to smoke in public, I have an equal right to carry burning sulphur sticks on my person in public. Do we have a right to bring stinks about with us?
  • Smoke Nazi.
    Sure. ^_^

As I always say, so long as people have the right to smoke in public, I have an equal right to carry burning sulphur sticks on my person in public. Do we have a right to bring stinks about with us?
    Smoking is bad, m'kay.
  • edited March 2008
    Burn your damn sulfur sticks. I love sulfur fumes.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Burn your damn sulfur sticks. I love sulfur fumes.
    I'll bring my pet skunks.
  • I scoff at your skunks from behind a cloud of sweet, sweet tobacco smoke.
  • I'll bring my pet skunks.
    What about a pet otaku nerd? The kind that rubs soaps under his arm pits and calls it 'hygiene'.
  • I scoff at your skunks from behind a cloud of sweet, sweet tobacco smoke.
    If you roll your own with pure dried tobacco leaves, then I agree. Cigarettes are anything but sweet. ^_~
  • Snorks are better than the Smurfs. I don't care what other 80's cartoon lovers say. I think the Snorks kick ass!
  • Snorks are better than the Smurfs. I don't care what other 80's cartoon lovers say. I think the Snorks kick ass!
    I watched one (1) episode of the Smurfs. I didn't understand exactly why the dude was trying to kill them, but I remember hoping that he would succeed and then die in a fire.
  • Weren't those Kaypro deals pretty expensive?
    Yeah, those luggables were very expensive. I did not get mine new. I don't even remember what sort of specs it had in it either. All it really was was a desktop computer with an attached keyboard and a 4" monochrome screen where a drive would go. The thing took full size cards.
  • edited March 2008
    Go go Gadget nostalgia! I was waiting for some props to go out to the good Inspector.
    I actually have an amusing anecdote about Inspector Gadget. When my mom and I went and saw Rent, the band for the show were warming up and one of the guitarists started playing the theme to the show, I started laughing and I had to try to explain to my mom why I was laughing but to no avail.

Also, this decade gave birth to a musical sensation.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on

• Courtesy of the eighties.
  • Proof of the 80's returning.
  • Proof of the 80'sreturning.
    Wtheck? A bartender? Since when is he in that vid? *dances anyway*
  • What was your favorite 80's movie? If you don't have a favorite, then name your top 5. A series can count as placeholder
    This is really hard for me as there are so many good ones, but I'll name the ones that I can.

1: The Outsiders
    2: The Karate Kid Part 1
    3: The NeverEnding Story
    4: The Dark Crystal
    5: Back To The Future Part 1
  • Its a tie for me between Sixteen Candles and the Labyrinth. Yay for David Bowie and his funky hair and scary makeup.
  • The Breakfast Club.
  • I don't think it's really thought of as an 80s movie, but it is: Evil Dead II.
  • Top Gun.
  • edited May 2008
    Top Gun.
    "It's this gay fighting fucking force." Best Tarantino quote ever.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Blade Runner.