This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torchwood

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Does anyone else out there watch Torchwood. If so, how do you like it? It's on BBC america every saturday at 9 or 10, for those americans who still watch TV.

Comments

• It's probably my least favourite show that I still persist in watching. Generally, it follows a ratio of two bad (or just meh) episodes to one good one, with very few outstandingly good ones. And the unsubtle gay themes (not to mention the awful sexual innuendo) often make me uncomfortable. But sadly, there's really very little sci-fi on TV these days, so you have to accept what you can get.
  • It's probably my least favourite show that I still persist in watching. Generally, it follows a ratio of two bad (or just meh) episodes to one good one, with very few outstandingly good ones. And the unsubtle gay themes (not to mention the awful sexual innuendo) often make me uncomfortable. But sadly, there's really very little sci-fi on TV these days, so you have to accept what you can get.
    I agree completely.
  • The first season was just an excuse for Davis to have gay alien sex on telly however in the second season it has raised it's game hugely and is now far more enjoyable. In fact there hasn't been any gay alien sex for at least 4 episodes now.
  • Does anyone else out there watchTorchwood. If so, how do you like it? It's on BBC america every saturday at 9 or 10, for those americans who still watch TV.
    Torchwood is awesome, it is different from Doctor Who. You can also find this new season episodes on the HD network. I find it hard to believe that Jack is the face of Boe but I hope Torchwood shed some light into that matter.
  • I haven't even seen Dr. Who much less Torchwood. But I really want watch them all after seeing an episode of Dr. Who.

Martha Jones is HOT!
  • Yeah that whole Jack as the face of Boe thing better be explained soon.
  • edited March 2008
    Torchwood... horrible, horrible show. That coming from a British Doctor Who fan, no less.

Bad acting, bad story telling and the drama of who's sleeping with who or who loves who is just annoying. I really can't stand it, but I seem to find myself watching the odd episode here or there. It's not even the gay stuff (which, admitdly, I have trouble watching), but all the romance, since I don't want to watch two people make our constantly in my sci fi, even if they are the same gender or not.
    Yeah that whole Jack as the face of Boe thing better be explained soon.
    Spoilers for those who don't watch Dr Who. It was explained. When the Doctor and Rose were fighting the Darleks in space that time and Rose was exposed to the Tardis' energy... thing... she became supah-dupah and brough Jack back to life (who was hanging around with them at the time), but because she was so super she made him so he could NEVER die. For him, this meant living millions (maybe billions) of years until he died as the Face of Bo.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Wasn't he already immortal when he was hanging with Rose and the Doctor?
  • edited March 2008
    Don't think so, he was a time traveler also which explains him showing up in different periods of time on earth or where-ever.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Wasn't he already immortal when he was hanging with Rose and the Doctor?
    He became immortal at the end of the first season.
  • edited March 2008
    If you did not enjoy the first season of Torchwood I understand because, I thought it was boring. I mean all that sex and fooling around got old really fast. However, after watching the two part season finale I was hook all over again. I then decided to watch it and I would really recommend it because this season is really strong both in acting and story line.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Jack Harknass was a fine character in Doctor Who, maybe even a great one. In giving him his own show however, they needed to make too many compromises. They can't have him flying through space and time like the good doctor, so they create a "rift" that drop aliens right into Cardiff and his lap. They decided to make Jack a more mysterious character than he was intended to be (or so it seems to me), and the supporting cast is not very interesting. Doctor Who benefits from it's simplicity, one doctor, one tag-along side-kick love interest, the TARDIS, and wherever they care to go. Torchwood on the other hand seems to get buried under it's own premise. I still watch it, since I get it over a torrent RSS feed, but that might be a matter of convenience.
  • How big is Doctor Who in the states?
    AFAIK the doctor isn't immortal; Whenever he gets killed he regenerates (becoming a different actor).
  • I go to uni (and live in term time) just outside Cardiff. It just makes me laugh they they can make a sci-fi there. Although I do enjoy it.
  • I hadn't realised that the second season was airing; now I'm not entirely sure whether or not to watch it.
    The first season I watched and it was alright, but if the second season is more of the same I'm not *that* interested.

However, from previous comments it does seem like Torchwood has become a decent show with the second season.
  • My folks said they watched it. Sounds like the main character is a total slut. Teeheee! I like the new doctor who, or what I've seen of it.
  • Main character is a complete slut, in one episode he furiously makes out with that Spike guy from Buffy. I'm sure a lot of fangirls spazed.

I cannot express to most of you how bad Torchwood is though, but, I guess all I can say is "Watch it and judge for yourselves".
  • The new season is not bad. IT is actually pretty good. also The Captain is not a slut just a guy from the 25th century.
  • The new season is not bad. IT is actually pretty good. also The Captain is not a slut just a guy from the 25th century.
    I now know that "Bisexual Mansluts from the 25th Century" is what I'm going to call my band. Thanks, this thread!

Also, any episode where Barrowman tries to act is a disaster. It's like watching Ahnold try to play King Lear. No good. One more "emotional moment" from Captain Jack and this show is dead to me.
  • Torchwood > New Doctor Who since at least Season 3, if not most of Season 2
    Thats just crazy talk, if only for the episode Blink in the last season of Who, that was the best thing on telly for along time.
    Thats just crazy talk, if only for the episode Blink in the last season of Who, that was the best thing on telly for along time.
    I like Family of Blood better :P
  • edited March 2008
    Torchwood > New Doctor Who since at least Season 3, if not most of Season 2
    "Blink" was certainly good, especially for how trite Doctor Who has been for the rest of Season 3. You can't ignore how shitty "Gridlock" and "The Lazarus Experiment" were and how forgettable most were besides "Human Nature" (which lost much of its appeal due to how blah most of "Family of Blood" was) and "Blink" as probably the best of the that year.

Torchwood is fun and revels in that fact, it doesn't pretend to be high-brow and doesn't stifle itself by being a family show.
    Post edited by RyienKu on
  • This thread reminds me... new Doctor Who season starts Saturday over here in merry ol' England.
  • This thread reminds me... new Doctor Who season starts Saturday over here in merry ol' England.
    I have extremely low expectations for the new companion.
    So that means it will be out for the world 10 minutes after it airs in the UK.

Also, I think the new companion is going to be more of a comic relief.
  • Watched Season 1 and 2 on bittorrent. Lost track after that, have they started Season 3 yet?
  • Watched Season 1 and 2 on bittorrent. Lost track after that, have they started Season 3 yet?
    Are you talking about Torchwood or Dr. Who? Because Torchwood has not finished season 2 yet and Dr. Who is about to star season 4.
    Season 2's last episode is set to air on the 4th.

So... No.
  • edited April 2008
    Could have sworn it was season 2 of Torchwood, but I guess it was Season 1. It was prior to Christmas. I guess I was thinking about the crossover episodes for Dr Who. I stand corrected.
    Post edited by RedShirt on