This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torchwood

Comments

• I've been very disappointed in Torchwood this year...I'm on episode 9 of this season and I don't see it getting any better. But I am very much looking forward to the new Doctor Who season...just think, new Battlestar and Doctor Who this week-end, not a bad combo...not bad at all.
  • Wait.. Battlestar? I'd forgotten all about that.
    Hell yeah!!

It will be a good weekend if I stop my temporary phase of Internet layabout-hood for some actual entertainment.
  • I am glad I stuck with Torchwood, because the second season is quite good.

I wish that the Martha Jones character would die and never appear on Dr. Who or Torchwood again. The actress (while quite lovely) can't act. I know everyone is down on Catherine Tate because she isn't drop-dead-gorgeous, but her training, experience, timing, insight, and surprising subtlety make her a far superior actress, and I am a bit sad that she is only a temporary companion. All-in-all, they need a new companion that is both widley likeable and talented.
  • I am glad I stuck with Torchwood, because the second season is quite good.

I wish that the Martha Jones character would die and never appear on Dr. Who or Torchwood again. The actress (while quite lovely) can't act. I know everyone is down on Catherine Tate because she isn't drop-dead-gorgeous, but her training, experience, timing, insight, and surprising subtlety make her a far superior actress, and I am a bit sad that she is only a temporary companion. All-in-all, they need a new companion that is both widley likeable and talented.
    #

They should have hired Sally Sparrow from the episode Blink. She is crying out to be the companion.
  • I guess I have a heart, the episode about the people banishing for the rift almost made me cry.
  • I guess I have a heart, the episode about the people banishing for the rift almost made me cry.
    It was pretty moving, up until the end, when the mother claimed she'd rather not have known what happened to her son. Gimme a break.
  • edited April 2008
    I guess I have a heart, the episode about the people banishing for the rift almost made me cry.
    That was a pretty sad episode. Have you seen the season finale, because that episode is pretty depressing too.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • The season finale held up to the quality of the second season. I am glad that they upped their game. ^_^

SPOILER: Does anyone know who the new characters mighty be played by? SPOILER
  • Yeah that whole Jack as the face of Boe thing better be explained soon.
    Spoilers for those who don't watch Dr Who.It was explained. When the Doctor and Rose were fighting the Darleks in space that time and Rose was exposed to the Tardis' energy... thing... she became supah-dupah and brough Jack back to life (who was hanging around with them at the time), but because she was so super she made him so he could NEVER die. For him, this meant living millions (maybe billions) of years until he died as the Face of Bo.
    I think zombie a gogo meant explain how he changes from a humanoid being into a head and how is accent changes. It is a bit too inconsistent - I think.
  • Bisexual Mansluts from the 25th Century
    Lets get this right people. He's omnisexual.
  • edited April 2008
    Bisexual Mansluts from the 25th Century
    Lets get this right people. He's omnisexual.
    Yeah, he is an equal oportunity man. But he is an equal oportunity man with a heart.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • But he is an equal oportunity man with a heart.
    Aaaw. Hehe.
  • Lets get this right people. He's omnisexual.
    Thanks, that makes for an even better band name!
  • Thanks, that makes for an even better band name!
    Best band name ever.
  • Second season is a bit more edgy and sexual.
    Damn good show!
    I wonder when and how Jack becomes the Big talking head? (The Face of Boe)
  • I wonder when and how Jack becomes the Big talking head?
    I know! Just thinking about the slow transformation is a little frightening. I also wonder how the Face of Boe got pregnant.
  • So, I watched "Fragments", it was ok. however, i was hoping for something more powerful. It was good to know how Cap'n gets in to Torchwood and I really like the re-introduction of all the team members but Why the hell is Owen still standing? Wasn't he is suppose to be fragile. Anyhow I hope the finale is as good as the previous season's finale.
  • American Torchwood?
    Fox to make US version of Torchwood? *Headdesk*
  • American Torchwood?
    Fox to make US version of Torchwood? *Headdesk*
    It will be written by Russel T. Davies so there is still hope.
    Though I am not sure how I feel about it if Captain Jack is not there :S
  • It will be written by Russel T. Davies so there is still hope.
    So, it's either going to be network meddling, and it'll be shit, or we get a firefly situation, where it's an excellent show, but it gets axed after a short period of time.
  • It will be written by Russel T. Davies so there is still hope.
    So, it's either going to be network meddling, and it'll be shit, or we get a firefly situation, where it's an excellent show, but it gets axed after a short period of time.
    I am ok as long as they keep making the "original" Torchwood.
  • edited January 2010
    It will be written by Russel T. Davies so there is still hope.
    From the article (emphasis added):
    It is expected the American Torchwood would feature more global storylines and may include John Barrowman, who starred in the UK version.
    @ Churba: Or it will be like Simpsons, Glee, 24, House, etc. Don't project Joss Whedon's issues with Firefly (an internal political struggle coupled with soft ratings even before they aired it out of order) and Dollhouse (a mediocre show that Fox gave a second season and plenty of advertising to despite weak ratings before ultimately having to cancel it) on the entire network.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • (an internal political struggle coupled with soft ratings even before they aired it out of order)
    Of course it had soft ratings before they broadcast them out of order, because they broadcast the second episode as the pilot, the second broadcast was the third, and the third broadcast was the sixth. Call me crazy, but I can forgive a show for having soft ratings BEFORE IT EVER AIRS.

And the "internal politics" were mostly that Fox was demanding they film in widescreen for the DVD release, while refusing to broadcast it in widescreen and demanding they keep it Pan and Scan compatable, whereas Whedon was saying "Hey, if we're filming in widescreen, why don't we just broadcast in widescreen?" And them not liking one scene in the first episode, because the crew backs down from a crime boss.

As for soft ratings, hey, I suppose 4.7 mil average is pretty soft. I mean, after all, Buffy only got 4-6 mil average per episode, for the original airings, but listen to me ramble, it's not like anyone has really heard of that, it's pretty obscure, it's not like it has novels, comics, Video games, or an entire spinoff series, none of that.

I'm not saying Joss Whedon is the god of writing or anything close to that - Despite the apologies and excuses people make about it, Aliens Resurrection still remains as a very good example that he's just as capable as every other writer of producing a steaming pile.

Lastly - Simpsons has been garbage for years now, with occasional shining moments, Glee is more Pseudo-reality show bollocks that they've been trying for a while now, and they lucked onto a good one, House is a Medical drama(a proven formula) mixed with a Police Procedural(A proven formula) so it's no surprise they went for it, I'm just happy that it's at least good, most of the time. As for Dollhouse - It was Mediocre for the first few episodes of the first season and improved, and and it was apparently quite good for the rest of it's run.
    But I'll cook you dinner if you can guess whose decision it was to (and forgive me if this is a familiar sounding) forgo the pilot episode, demand reshoots because they didn't like certain scenes, Show the second episode as the pilot, and continuously attempt to meddle in the production of the show.
  • edited January 2010
    Keep in mind that Buffy wasn't on a major network. CW doesn't need the kind of numbers that Fox needs.
    Also, I clearly said that Fox was having an internal struggle at the time (thus leading to them killing the show). You are telling me things I already know. Fox isn't my favorite network, but your personal opinion on a very small list of their lasting and/or popular shows and the issues of Firefly aren't exactly the most accurate reflection of the network as a whole, and that was my point.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited January 2010
    I clearly said that Fox was having an internal struggle at the time (thus leading to them killing the show).
    No, you didn't. You said
    Don't project Joss Whedon's issues with Firefly (an internal political struggle coupled with soft ratings even before they aired it out of order)
    which implied, at least to me, that the internal political struggle was Between Joss and Fox, involved with that production, rather than being a larger political struggle within Fox. You're right, and I mistook what you meant, but if you'd have clearly said that it was Fox having internal struggle on a larger level, there would be no room to infer that it was solely within the Firefly production.

Also,
    You are telling me things I already know.
    coupled with soft ratings even before they aired it out of order)
    because they broadcast the second episode as the pilot, the second broadcast was the third, and the third broadcast was the sixth
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The internal struggle was between the company itself and the soft ratings were from focus groups.
  • Christ, I'd forgotten about that argument. Big dumb ape mustn't have got his banana and brushie that day.
  • They're filming Torchwood US right now. Gwen, Rhy and of course Captain Jack are still in it. Ianto will be in flashbacks. They're doing a lot of filming in Wales still. I wouldn't worry about it sucking cause from what I've gleaned everything is still in place. Also Torchwood felt like it was more of an American show than a British one.