This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Textile of choice?

RymRym
edited March 2008 in Everything Else
So, what's your favorite fabric/textile/whatever for clothes?

As I've said, I'm a linen man, with silk being a close second. ^_^

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Ca. 60% Cotton and 40% Polyester. Though more cotton isn't to bad. ^^ Though I really hat satin as a fabric, especially as a duvet.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • You can go with this
    Or you can go with that
    You can go with this
    Or you can go with that
    Or you can go with this
    Or you can go with that
    Or you can go with us
  • Wool for suits. Cotton for shirts. Silk for ties. Cotton or wool for socks. Leather or wool for coats. Silk or wool for mufflers. Felt for hats.

Manmade fabrics such as Dacron, Polyester, Nylon, and so forth are to be shunned unless they appear in minute trace amounts or for support, such as the elastic bit for your suspenders.
  • Manmade fabrics such as Dacron, Polyester, Nylon, and so forth are to be shunned unless they appear in minute trace amounts or for support, such as the elastic bit for your suspenders.
    A little rayon mixed in with linen gives you a bouncy fabric that doesn't crack with strong creasing. I'm a fan of linen with a bit of rayon ^_^
  • A little rayon mixed in with linen gives you a bouncy fabric that doesn't crack with strong creasing. I'm a fan of linen with a bit of rayon ^_^
    Yes, but as I said, just a bit. A little Rayon goes a long way.
  • I have a weakness for seersucker. :)
  • Eh, just plain old cotton. I hate denim and can't wear jeans, they are just too uncomfortable.
  • Pajamas are the best clothes, and silk pajamas are pretty much the best thing ever.
  • Never wore linen, silk or satin, so I'll have to go with 100% cotton. <3 me pajamas.
  • Denim jeans and cotton tees.
    Along with khakis & cords.
  • If I had the money, I'd also go for high end polyester clothes. They look and feel very nice and you don't have to iron them as much.
    Amen. That's almost all I wear on a day to day basis.

At school, I have to dress pretty nice....so yeah, silk ties FTW. Shirts and pants...don't really care.
  • Denim and cotton ftw!

I often wear cotton/rayon or cotton/poly blends, too. I go with at least 60% cotton, though.

I've tried linen before, but I'm not such a fan.

I'm also a fan of specialty sport fabrics; the stuff that wicks away sweat and keeps you cool and dry. Technology is awesome.
  • I'm also a fan of specialty sport fabrics; the stuff that wicks away sweat and keeps you cool and dry. Technology is awesome.
    I agree, but that is the only use I have for synthetic fabrics. Cotton is not only cheap but comfortable. The only reason I would wear synthetic is for the above reason or for support.
  • Surely the synthetics of the future will be wholly superior?
  • I like silk, it's so soft and comfortable.
  • Cotton. Cheap n' comfy.
  • This thread calls to mind the velvet boxer shorts in the underwear episode.
  • This thread calls to mind the velvet boxer shorts in the underwear episode.
    No good will come of velvet boxer shorts.
  • Never wore linen, silk or satin, so I'll have to go with 100% cotton. <3 me pajamas.</p>
    I gasped at that. Wear some silk and linen!

Otherwise, I generally agree with Edmund, though linen is good for more casual suits and "rugged" looking shirts. Silk shirts are better when you're going out at night, rather than everyday use. And, of course, felt for hats. Do they even use other materials?

Egyptian cotton, however, can sometimes rival both linen and silk in softness and comfort.

And yes, my first job was also at a dry cleaners. Fortunately, I did customer support rather than cleaning.
  • And, of course, felt for hats. Do they even use other materials?
    Leather or canvas. ^_~
    Leather or canvas. ^_~
    Those stupid frat-boy/redneck ball caps are made mostly out of nylon.
    Leather or canvas. ^_~
    Those stupid frat-boy/redneck ball caps are made mostly out of nylon.
    Caps are not worthy of being called hats. Hats are awesome. Caps... well, let's say they're just as stupid as "CAPS LOCK IS TOM CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!".
  • While I do like linen and silk... linen wrinkles terribly the minute you put it on and silk can be stifling in the wrong conditions.

Therefore, Cotton for the win!
  • Pajamas are the best clothes, and silk pajamas are pretty much the best thing ever.
    I have some silk pj's that I like for hanging out in, but they don't breathe well enough for sleeping... I wake up a bit sticky (it is very unpleasant).
  • Cotton Polyester blend is my favorite and seems to have the best durability/quality ratio of any other textile I owned.
  • While I do like linen and silk... linen wrinkles terribly the minute you put it on and silk can be stifling in the wrong conditions.
    Linen doesn't wrinkle that easily! Iron it!

Also, regarding the hats, I think leather is pointless where there's any possibility of rain. Also, caps are not hats. This is a hat:
  • Cant bear the feel of silk its like someone running their fingers down a Blackboard to me.

Tony
    New Zealand
  • leather is pointless where there's any possibility of rain.
    There are different kinds of leather. For example, I have a leather jacket that is not so good in rain. I spray it with some protecting stuff, but if it's really raining, I can't wear it. Meanwhile, Rym's leather trenchcoat is meant for rain. It all depends on the kind of leather.