This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kevin Smith movies

GeoGeo
edited April 2008 in Everything Else
What is your opinion on Kevin Smith's movies? Are they hillarious? If you don't think so, please explain why? Do you think Jay and Silent Bob are the new Abbot and Costello? What is your favorite Kevin Smith movie? Do you think the idea of the "View Askewniverse" (to those who don't know, it is the universe in which Kevin Smith's movies take place and how each movie references another one) is a genius idea?

Personally, I LOVE Kevin Smith's movies. They are witty, hilarious, and always make me rotflol. Personally, Jay is the funniest and rudest character I've ever seen in cinema. I like all of Smith's movies equally as they all have thing I do like and things I don't like, so each one has the what others don't.

Comments

• The only Kevin Smith movie I've seen was Clerks, and I liked it. I've been meaning to see the second one, but I hear it doesn't measure up.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2008
    The only Kevin Smith movie I've seen was Clerks, and I liked it. I've been meaning to see the second one, but I hear it doesn't measure up.
    Clerks is my favorite, and Mallrats is almost as good. As for Clerks II, it is almost as good, but it doesn't reach the mark of "just as good".
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I love the entire universe. Every movie he brought out was awesome in my eyes. Well...except Jersey Girl.

I like how Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back linked some things. Those two are awesome.

Heh. Back in the HS that was the official song for art class.
  • I love the entire universe. Every movie he brought out was awesome in my eyes. Well...except Jersey Girl.

I like how Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back linked some things. Those two are awesome.

Heh. Back in the HS that was the official song for art class.
    I think we all agree that Jersey Girl was drek.

• I think we all agree that Jersey Girl was drek.
    It's not FOR you.
  • Being from New Jersey these movies are basically standard issue. Not that they aren't absolutely awesome anyway. I think that my favorite one is still Mallrats.

Also I liked Jersey Girl. It's not his best movie, but I think it's far better then the typical romantic comedy movie.
  • They're not the best thing ever, but they have their charm.
  • I love them. Its something I could share with my more intellectual friends who enjoyed the dialogue, and then the friends that were like "Hahaha, pot." I still regard Clerks as my favorite movie, and even my girlfriend can like a movie such as Chasing Amy.

The summer after high school a friend and I made a veritable Mecca to Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash in Red Bank, NJ and the Quick Stop itself, where naturally we bought Pringles and Gatorade and such. A nine-hour drive one-way from Roanoke, VA but more than worth it.
  • Chasing. Amy.
  • I like them all right, but they're not really to the point that I would watch them more than once or twice.
  • I'm a bit fan of Kevin Smith's writing style. He relies on dialogue and character development (usually) which is rare in western media.
  • The dialogue in those movies tends to sound like what a pretty bright HS kid would write. Not surprising, since he didn't quite graduate from college, and the "college" he attended was Vancouver Film School, a school with a fine academic tradition stretching back to 1987.

That objection aside, I really liked Dogma.
  • I'm a bit fan of Kevin Smith's writing style. He relies on dialogue and character development (usually) which is rare in western media.
    Really? Character development? I'd like to have even two or three examples of decent character development pointed out to me from his films. Last I checked "hooker fucking a pony" and "sex with a dead guy on the toilet" don't really count as character development.

But then, your argument was invalidated as soon as you said "rare in western media." Weeaboo moar, plz.
  • KS films have some of the most highly praised poorly written dialog I've ever heard.
  • Also, as much as I love Mallrats, it has the absolute worst DELIVERY of dialog ever.
  • Jason Mews with Smith is funny. That's about it. Clerks is the only really decent one with Dogma running second. Smith is a huge underwear pervert fan I believe.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2008
    Jason Mews with Smith is funny. That's about it. Clerks is the only really decent one with Dogma running second. Smith is a huge underwear pervert fan I believe.
    That is in fact true, he was one of the MANY directors who wanted to develop the Superman Returns movie. He also was slated to make a Green Arrow movie, but it didn't come to fruition)
    They're not the best thing ever, but they have their charm.
    They're only funny when you see them like once or twice every two or three years.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited April 2008
    The best part of Jersey Girl is that Jenifer Lopez's character dies at the very beginning.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • That is in fact true, he was one of the MANY directors who wanted to develop theSuperman Returnsmovie.
  • I love the Evenings with Kevin Smith, they are hilarious and really interesting as well. The Superman Lives/Returns story is brilliant.
  • I love the original Clerks and Mallrats...I could watch them over and over.

PS: 37?
  • edited April 2008
    I really enjoyed Chasing Amy (which has quite a lot of character development - in response to an earlier comment), Clerks (the first one), Dogma, and Mallrats. Clerks II and Jay and Silent Bob Strike back are good for a few cheap laughs, but not much more. Maybe I am a freak, but I liked Jersey Girl. Was it a masterpiece, no - but it was sweet and funny.

Somewhat besides the point, the only films I have ever found Ben Affleck's performances to be even somewhat acceptable were Kevin Smith films. I'm not sure if that says anything for Smith's writing and direction, but the thought just occurred to me, so I put it out there.

Oh, and An Evening with Kevin Smith I and II are hilarious.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Somewhat besides the point, the only films I have ever found Ben Affleck's performances to be even somewhat acceptable were Kevin Smith films. I'm not sure if that says anything for Smith's writing and direction, but the thought just occurred to me, so I put it out there.
    I would agree with that, and put forth his and Matt Damon's cameo in Jay and Silent Bob. Best cameo of the whole movie... well maybe after Mark Hamill.
  • I love the original Clerks and Mallrats...I could watch them over and over.

PS: 37?
    Why don't you go open the video store!
  • I find to just like most of his movies, and haven't loved anything. Chasing Amy would be my favorite, while Clerks 2 is my least. I however do love listening to him just talk and go on about stuff. I totally love watching all the "An Evening With Kevin Smith" and the Smodcast.
  • Does anyone listen to his podcast? I just started to, and so far I think it's quite good.
  • I've been listening to Smodcast through the wikipedia archive. I am 9 episodes in and I find it entertaining, usually. I get a little bored with some of the sexual humor, but most of it is funny.
  • I have a problem with his films. It's like there is a disconnect between his characters and the world they live in. They seem like they were meant for a sitcom where they could grow and nurture each others antics over a longer period of time, but they somehow wandered into a film series instead. This might be why the only thing of his I own is the Clerks animated series.
  • I have a problem with his films. It's like there is a disconnect between his characters and the world they live in. They seem like they were meant for a sitcom where they could grow and nurture each others antics over a longer period of time, but they somehow wandered into a film series instead. This might be why the only thing of his I own is the Clerks animated series.
    I never noticed this before, but now that you say it, I completely see it. Awesome point.
  • They're OK - I feel like they try a bit too hard with some of the jokes. Dogma was my favourite although I love the "dirty sheep fucker" part in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.