This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 040403 - Monty Python

2»

Comments

• I watched the Holy Grail with my mom on a plane once, we got half way through and she turned it off. I had seen the movie around 539 times by then so it really didn't bother me too much but the fact that she didn't find any part to be funny at all did. We saw Spamalot shortly afterwards and she hated that slightly less than the movie as there was actually a love story to it and that definitely helps her enjoy a work more if there is a love story. I loved Spamalot, by the way.
  • I haven't heard of the parrot sketch. 0=
  • Meh... dry British humor. Icouldn'tcare less about Monty Python... at best it can be viewed only once.
    Monty Python isn't dry humour, just because it's British doesn't make it dry. It's wacky, off the wall zany humour, in no way is it dry. Do you know what dry humour is?
    Anyway another show that people might want to check out, that I haven't seen on these pages yet, is Father Ted, which is possibly the best British comedy of the last 20 years.
    Oh and Operation Good Guys is worth checking out as well.
  • The dryness of British humor is what makes it unique. It is a combination of wit and intelligence. Sometimes there is a slight delay before the humor actually hits you. Sometimes it can be subtle or right out there depending on the delivery of the actor. Like a fine wine it is an acquired taste.
    Eg. The Two Ronnies, As Time Goes By
  • Surprised no one posted this yet...

• Did anyone ever watch The Young Ones ? Now that was humor, but there weren't that many quotable moments. Carole really likes Absolutely Fabulous. Le Yawn. I think I remember they tried to do an Absolutely Fabulous on American TV once, but it just didn't translate. I think because American TV wouldn't let the womens be bitchy and catty enough.
    The Young Ones was a great British comedy show. Have you seen Father Ted?
  • The first Monty Python I saw was the Dennis Moore episode, because my Dad once got the VHS as a gag gift since his name is Dennis Moore.
  • I forgot to talk about Mr. Hilter.
  • One of my favorites was Upper Class Twit of the Year.

But the best one is of course...
  • I forgot to talk about Mr. Hilter.
    I think that was a Thing of the Day, though.
  • Banana Defense
  • Holy Grail > Life of Brian > Meaning of Life

I just watched the funny walks sketch on youtube, but I did not find it funny...
    You are a fool.
  • edited April 2008
    British humourin general??Are you serious? Does that include all of...
    Well, alright, I was generalizing.
    A better way of putting it would be....The British humor I've seen in my life hasn't done a lot for me. And for the record, that does include stuff other than Monty Python. Could I name who the groups and skits are and where they're from? No.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited April 2008
    Well, alright, I was generalizing.
    A better way of putting it would be....The British humor I've seen in my life hasn't done a lot for me.
    Okay, how about Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz (or even better, the original TV series Spaced)? The guys behind those productions do humour that's closer to conventional "American" humour, but still retain their wonderful British-ness all the way. I think that bunch is absolutely fantastic. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright FTW. :)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Speaking of Shaun of the Dead, I've met Nick Frost randomly once. Pretty cool stuff.

Also, in the IT Crowd they spoofed this anti-piracy propaganda clip which is played at the beginning of most movies over here in the UK.

• The first Monty Python I saw was the Dennis Moore episode, because my Dad once got the VHS as a gag gift since his name is Dennis Moore.
    lol.

One of my favorite skits that comes to mind is Bicycle Repair Man. I really like cute jokes like that.
  • Am I the only one who doesn't like Dennis Moore at all?
  • Am I the only one who doesn't like Dennis Moore at all?
    Yes.
  • Dennis Moore is just awesome.

In any case, British Comedy is a huge area, and I can't see how anyone could fail to find something they liked within it.
  • edited April 2008
    I saw this on boing boing, and it seemed conveniently pertinent. Causing massive amounts of fear/damage is probably one of the more interesting logistical problems (and of course an extremely unattractive one in practice.) Overcoming global problems like world hunger, poverty, and lack of clean water would be solving global problems posed to us by the world at large. On the other hand getting a bomb onto a plane is overcoming a problem proposed by the TSA, who we don't like anyway (the world's done alot for us lately).

On a side note, you guys spend a large portion of the show talking about people who propose ways to cause death and destruction. You make clear that these sorts of things are something you've considered to a decent degree, but that you would never act upon. In the same show however, I believe it was Rym who said "it doesn't matter how awesome your idea is if you don't do it," (that's my best recollection of the quote). I found that amusing.
    Post edited by spotdart on
  • When Rym was singing the Lumberjack song, I was singing along happily in my car. Talk about nostalgia! I have to say I really liked this episode. I might even pick up the series on Amazon now.
  • I would have to agree with Rym that The Crimson Permanent Assurance is the best Monty Python sketch.
  • I would have to agree with Rym that The Crimson Permanent Assurance is the best Monty Python sketch.
    I don't think it's the best, but it's in my top 5.
  • My mom is an accountant and that is why it is so hilarious for me.
  • You guys forgot my favorite sketch:
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    I'd say the reason some people are scared of terrorism is because once they quit being oblivious to the possibility, they come to realize that the US is long overdue for some sort of retaliatory resentment, but they don't understand the forces in play that prevent it from happening. Partial realizations can be very unsettling. It's kind of like if a person back during the Cold War came to the realization that there were nuclear warheads pointed at us, but didn't understand why they weren't being launched.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • You guys forgot my favorite sketch:

A good point that was; how could they mention the Philosopher's Drinking Song but not International Philosophy.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    IT'S.......the 40th Anniversary of ....MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUSSSSSS!!! As part of the 40th Anniversary of Monty Python visit PythOnline.com on October 15 @ 6:00PM PST (9:00 PM EST) to see the Pythons live streaming webcast from the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City!!

By visiting PythOnline.com you can watch this historic event. Watch John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin as they take to the stage for a Q&A discussion with the audience. The event will be streamed live in conjunction with Ustream.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • IT'S.......the 40th Anniversary of ....MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUSSSSSS!!! As part of the 40th Anniversary of Monty Python visit PythOnline.com on October 15 @ 6:00PM PST (9:00 PM EST) to see the Pythons live streaming webcast from the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City!!

By visiting PythOnline.com you can watch this historic event. Watch John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin as they take to the stage for a Q&A; discussion with the audience. The event will be streamed live in conjunction with Ustream.
    Oh good. I was trying to figure out how to get tickets to this, but now I'll be able to see it anyway.
  • If you like The Goon Show and Monty Python, you would probably like Firesign Theatre.