This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• If you want democracy, you want a government that derives its power from the will of the people. If you have a democracy in a country of uneducated people, then the government no longer derives its power from the will of the people. Instead, the government derives its power from the power to manipulate the uneducated masses. The media you hate so much holds all the power as opposed to the people voting.
    Which is why I am glad we do not live in a Democracy but a Republic, where we elect people to make the big decisions.
  • Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the ratio of qualified men is much higher than qualified women - which you have to assume to defend Obama. McCain has more women in top positions. Given the ratio, that speaks even more highly of McCain.

The ratio argument is a loser.

It could be that the sample size is too small - that's a very valid defense.
    That's assuming they have the exact same qualifications. Maybe the men in his staff were just more qualified than most of the women that Obama canvassed. Or, maybe he did interview more women, but they weren't interested. There's a lot you have to assume to make the leap of Obama somehow being a sexist.
  • Which is why I am glad we do not live in a Democracy but a Republic, where we elect people to make the big decisions.
    But our republic, which is still a government that supposedly derives its power from the will of the people, has this very problem.
  • Which is why I am glad we do not live in a Democracy but a Republic, where we elect people to make the big decisions.
    But our republic, which is still a government that supposedly derives its power from the will of the people, has this very problem.
    To an extent, yes. A direct Democracy would likely end up with nothing but bread and circuses. At least until all the "rich" people were taxed to death and all the money is gone.
  • To an extent, yes. A direct Democracy would likely end up with nothing but bread and circuses. At least until all the "rich" people were taxed to death and all the money is gone.
    Way to completely fail to comprehend what I'm saying.
  • McCain Admits to no knowing how to use a computer

nuff said.
    Yes, I know this is an older post but with Obama recently running an ad about McCain's computer illiteracy it has become relevant:
    Yep. The day after 9/11, as part of its "get tough" makeover, the Obama campaign is mocking John McCain for not using a computer, without caring why he doesn't use a computer. From the AP story about the computer illiterate ad:
    "Our economy wouldn't survive without the Internet, and cyber-security continues to represent one our most serious national security threats," [Obama spokesman Dan] Pfeiffer said. "It's extraordinary that someone who wants to be our president and our commander in chief doesn't know how to send an e-mail."
    Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "extraordinary." The reason he doesn't send email is that he can't use a keyboard because of the relentless beatings he received from the Viet Cong in service to our country. From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball.
    In a similar vein I guess it's an outrage that the blind governor of New York David Paterson doesn't know how to drive a car. After all, transportation issues are pretty important. How dare he serve as governor while being ignorant of what it's like to navigate New York's highways.Why McCain does not use a computer

DAMN!!! What a way to make yourself look stupid, ragging on a guy for something he can't do because of a disability...
  • HMTKSteve, computers get more and more relevant each day and in the coming years there will be a whole lot of legislation created in that area. I think the american people would like a president who would have at least rudimentary understanding of computers, the internet etc. Typing is not necessarily a requirement for using a computer. Many people only use their index fingers, there is the "screen-keyboard" (don't know the english term, sorry) which can be used with the mouse and for the really extreme cases there is also voice recognition software.

But hey, great that the republicans miss the entire point of the ad, him being out of touch, and use the POW-excuse once again.
  • POW POW POW...
  • edited September 2008
    Someone who is too disabled to use a computer keyboard is probably too disabled to be president. When you add that level of disability to McCains advanced age, it makes it even more certain that he cannot withstand the physical stress of the job.
    The question today: What kind of president would Sarah Palin be? It’s an urgent matter, because if we’ve learned anything from the G.O.P. convention and its aftermath, it’s that the 2008 edition of John McCain is too weak to serve as America’s chief executive. This unmentionable truth, more than race, is now the real elephant in the room of this election.
    Source.

Oh yeah . . . POW, POW, POW.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • WHILE campaigning in public for a speedy withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Sen. Barack Obama has tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence.

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Obama insisted that Congress should be involved in negotiations on the status of US troops - and that it was in the interests of both sides not to have an agreement negotiated by the Bush administration in its "state of weakness and political confusion."

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open." Zebari says.

Though Obama claims the US presence is "illegal," he suddenly remembered that Americans troops were in Iraq within the legal framework of a UN mandate. His advice was that, rather than reach an accord with the "weakened Bush administration," Iraq should seek an extension of the UN mandate.
    OBAMA TRIED TO STALL GIS' IRAQ WITHDRAWAL

If true this is pretty damning.
  • edited September 2008
    Please don't ever quote the New York Post, a.k.a. Fox Newsprint. Especially since the Post just a few days ago openly endorsed John McCain.

I made a quick google search and found no alternate sources for this allegations, only back references to the nypost.com from conservative websites like freerepublic.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Please don't ever quote the New York Post, a.k.a. Fox Newsprint. Especially since the Post just a few days ago openly endorsed John McCain.

I made a quick google search and found no alternate sources for this allegations, only back references to the nypost.com from conservative websites like freerepublic.
    Seriously. NY Post hardly qualifies as a legit source for any information. Any publication that uses a font that large on their cover page has a problem.
  • Please don't ever quote the New York Post, a.k.a. Fox Newsprint. Especially since the Post just a few days ago openly endorsed John McCain.

Should we ban all sources that have endorsed a candidate then?

Is there a list of "approved" news sources you would like to provide?
  • I don't shun the New York Post because they endorse McCain, I shun it because it is the New York Post. They are proven liars. That they endorse McCain is just another, major strike against them and their credibility in reporting on liberal politicians.
  • edited September 2008
    I don't shun the New York Post because they endorse McCain, I shun it because it is the New York Post. They are proven liars. That they endorse McCain is just another, major strike against them and their credibility in reporting on liberal politicians.
    Exactly. For example, I would trust the Wall Street Journal's reporting on what is happening on Wall Street (not so much their editorial sections). Take it from someone who lives in NY state, the Post is considered a total rag by anyone with half a brain. It's dreck on par with the Enquirer or Star.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Icky

Polling by state still continues to side in McCain's favor. Why are you not Volunteering?
  • edited September 2008
    I think the Wall-street collapse can throw this race back into complete gear as it forces the Palin discussion out of the picture and brings the focus back to the issues, where McCain is weak and Obama is strong. I'm looking forward to the debates.

Also:

Yeah, it's just a few select internet comments, but I think this portrays the thinking pretty good.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited September 2008
    I don't shun the New York Post because they endorse McCain, I shun it because it is the New York Post. They are proven liars.
    The guy who wrote that article also wrote that Jews in Iran are forced to wear a yellow stripe.
    And now . . . an Obama Poodle! The AKC is recommending that Obama get a Poodle when he is elected.
  • Poodles suck. They need a real dog in the White House! Like one of these little sweeties:
  • If I were president, this would be the white house dog.
  • Poodles suck. They need a real dog in the White House! Like one of these little sweeties:
    That is a dog, everything that does not reach your knee (standing on all fours, ground to upper back), it is not a dog. >:( And Irish Wolfhounds are awesome.
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, Yeah, Scott. And Your daemon is a robot fish.

Wolfhounds are great. Those are some serious dogs, yo.
    But poodlers are also the win.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited September 2008
    I will go with the one that is half lion and half monkey
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited September 2008
    FDR and his dog, Falla:

• FDR and his dog, Falla:
    I need a cloak like that. It's not nerdy like a renaissance fair cloak, it's not scary like a LARPer, and it's not prancy like a cape.
  • You also need the whole 1920's formal wear to go with it, then. You'd probably look good, like you were out for a night at the opera.
  • You also need the whole 1920's formal wear to go with it, then. You'd probably look good, like you were out for a night at the opera.
    As long as we get binoculars on a stick.
    As long as we get binoculars on a stick.
    Small gold plated binoculars on a stick. As for the clothing, I think you could get away with only wearing period-appropriate pants and shoes, perhaps only shoes. :)