This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• At the moment most work places will actively discriminate against disabled people, even though those disabled people are EQUALLY as qualified. This directive is a way to insure that disabled people are not discriminated against, but actively for. In 20 years time, when hiring a disabled person is as common (or as uncontroversial) as hiring an equally qualified gay or black person, it won't be needed. But for now, it is.

Get over it.
  • I heard that Obama is a robot created by Space Muslims.
  • The point is that policies like this are flat out discrimination. The government is hiring people solely on the fact that such and such person is a minority. Disability, like race or sex, should not have any impact on job placement unless that disability prevents the person from executing the job.
    This is something that I see A LOT of in the VA. As much as I agree with VA on wanting to hire veterans, there has been so many instances to where I see Veterans get hired and they can barely operate a computer to where their job demands them to have computer/typing skills.

It's a flaw in the hiring process.
  • edited August 2010
    Cut the Pres some slack. I hear that we no longer have a "combat role" in Iraq. We should thank him for keeping his promise to withdraw our troops. I wonder how Iraq is doing without any American soldiers left? After all, 49,700 is almost zero, isn't it?

In all fairness, it's the lowest level since 2003. Unfortunately, his Afghanistan policy should be called "BUSH: The Sequel".

At least the stock market has recovered. Uhh... Never mind.

One serious question: If Europe has cut government spending, and appears to be doing no worse than the US, did the US stimulus plan really prevent us from sinking into a deeper recession/depression?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The point is that policies like this are flat out discrimination. The government is hiring people solely on the fact that such and such person is a minority. Disability, like race or sex, should not have any impact on job placement unless that disability prevents the person from executing the job.
    This is something that I see A LOT of in the VA. As much as I agree with VA on wanting to hire veterans, there has been so many instances to where I see Veterans get hired and they can barely operate a computer to where their job demands them to have computer/typing skills.

It's a flaw in the hiring process.
    Why would you want a doctor that works on animals to work on a computer? Shouldnt they just stick to working on dogs and cats?
  • edited August 2010
    Why would you want a doctor that works on animals to work on a computer? Shouldnt they just stick to working on dogs and cats?
    A++++++++++++ COMMENT. 100% WOULD READ AGAIN.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I wonder how Iraq is doing without any American soldiers left? After all, 49,700 is almost zero, isn't it?
    Sectarian violence has increased slightly since the withdrawal. Because the remaining troops are only there in a training capacity, they are no longer proactively carrying out strikes on resistance pockets. However, those troops are armed and will engage in the event of hostility.
  • One serious question: If Europe has cut government spending, and appears to be doing no worse than the US, did the US stimulus plan really prevent us from sinking into a deeper recession/depression?
    Whaaaaa?

I can tell you as someone who's industry is currently being helped by the stimulus, that money didn't just disappear.
  • I have a plan to fix the econmy. Step one. Steal underpants. Step 2.......... Step 3. Profit.

But fo realsie. Are we not better on Mr. Barack then under the genetic modified ape who came before?
  • That article is rather persuasive. Why, then, did Europe not need to do the same thing? I am thinking specifically of Germany. I hate deficits, which is why this is interesting to me.
  • edited August 2010
    That article is rather persuasive. Why, then, did Europe not need to do the same thing? I am thinking specifically of Germany. I hate deficits, which is why this is interesting to me.
    Europes Stimulus plan Was much smaller and less effective then the U.S stimulus plan. China on the other hand China had a larger stimulus plan then the U.S. and it worked gang busters in comparsion (if we are comparing stimulus costs to % of GDP gains) China's stimulus plan (wiki)
    A look at stimulus plans around the world
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited August 2010
    Interesting reading. I have no problem with stimulus plans. I think they are a good idea. The problem is that, unlike consumers, government should spend more during bad times and less during good times. In other words, money should be saved during good times to spend during bad times. Unfortunately, government doesn't think that way. Some states have rainy day funds, but they are extremely small compared to what they should be.

The other problem with government is it does not spend money wisely. I saw this first hand, having worked for government. It was hard to buy pens and paper, but there were people making large salaries that literally did nothing all day. We often bought big ticket items that we did not need for the sole purpose of "spending down" a budget.

My frustration, as a hard worker, was that I was compensated the same as a lazy worker in the same pay-grade. This does not result in the best and brightest sticking with government employment. I've seen a lot of brain drain over the years. The people that leave prior to retirement tend to be the very people that you want to stay.

Until government is run efficiently, I have little sympathy for those who want to raise taxes. We might need to do both, but I have seen so much waste on the federal level that it makes one sick to their stomach. I am not saying that waste is everywhere. There are some hard workers in the fed system that don't have many luxuries. Nonetheless, most states are misers compared to the feds. I say this having quite a bit of first hand experience.
  • edited August 2010
    Interesting reading. I have no problem with stimulus plans. I actually think they are a good idea. The problem is that, unlike consumers, government should spend more during bad times and less during good times. In other words, money should be saved during good times to spend during bad times. Unfortunately, government doesn't do that.
    Yea, I completely agree. Most of what we are trying to do now as a country would have been effective if we had not gotten into two wars AND cut taxes. I can keep going back to "But Bush" but it's really hard to not do that. The country at March 3rd 2009 was already in a infinitely worse place then it could have been if we didn't make these stupid mistakes ahead of time. We have been hamstrung by extremely foolish actions that made it so we did not have any backup plans and to see people just willing to jump back to the people who did it after 2 years is upsetting. We are screwed as a country if we can not embrace the fact that sometimes it takes decades to fix problems...

The funny part (or maybe this is because I'm in PA) but the state governments are WAY easier to corrupt and buy off then the Federal government..
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited August 2010
    I've often wished that, rather than spending billions upon billions to fight a futile war (or two), we spent some more money on alternative energy research. Lots of oil money funds terrorists.

One problem is that people refuse to allow government to use "our" money to set aside for a rainy day. These same people want government to spend their grandchildren's money today.

I complained about federal waste, but let me be very clear about one thing. I have never seen any corruption on the federal level. I've never seen it in my state government, for that matter. No system is perfect, but my experience with both my state government and the federal government is that they are incredibly clean. For this there should be praise. I am sure that there are systemic problems (competitive bidding, etc.), but outright corruption is not tolerated - at least from everything I have seen. If there is "funny business" it's usually because government employees let their personal bias influence their work. They don't do anything wrong, per se, but they aren't as neutral as they should be.

NPR had an interesting story on the most corrupt states. Illinois, and especially Chicago was shocking to hear about. It's just a way of life there, apparently. They told the story of a gentlemen who was sentenced to jail for corruption. His father was sent to jail for the exact same thing many years earlier. If you don't learn from your father going to jail, that shows how deep corruption runs.
  • I'm in agreement with almost everything that you've said in your last two posts, Kilarney.
  • edited August 2010
    Are pigs flying? :-)

In all seriousness, I have always claimed to be a moderate. Nobody would believe me, though.
  • Are pigs flying? :-)
    It's a convenient bacon delivery system.

When you say something that makes sense, there's no reason to ignore it. I mean, if you're rational. I'm being the bigger man here. In my pants. That's what she said. Who? Your mom. Sorry, that was a mean-spirited tirade borne of a frustration-filled morning at work.
  • The problem here is simply that economic policy is conflated with all sort of other ideological bullshit in the minds of most people.

We should do whatever demonstrates the most efficacy for and has the best chance of increasing prosperity and decreasing hardship in a general way.
  • We should do whatever demonstrates the most efficacy for and has the best chance of increasing prosperity and decreasing hardship in a general way.
    And that is "communism" to a lot of people.
  • All conservatives want to be libertarians.
  • All conservatives want to be libertarians fascists.
    ftfy.
  • So, Everyone hear complaining about crazy people and the like, are you in a state where some crazy person is running and looks like they have a good shot of winning.. Are you volunteering with a campaign?

I'm starting to move to get more involved in the Sestak campaign the polls show him 5 points down on Toomey as of late and the only thing that will help him out is a great get out the vote effort.
  • Why isn't our economy better. Isn't he Jewish? I thought that species was good with monies.
  • Why isn't our economy better. Isn't he Jewish? I thought that species was good with monies.
    I really can't tell if you're trolling or not.
  • Poe's law strikes again, but I'm pretty sure he's joking. Unfortunately, those words from the mouths of others might not always be so jestful (jestive?).
  • Deadpan humor - doesn't come across so well in text.
  • I thought that species was good with monies.
    Herein lies the sarcasm.
    Herein lies the sarcasm.
    Are you implying that Jews are human?
    Herein lies the sarcasm.
    Are you implying that Jews are human?
    I do hold that controversial opinion.
  • Anyway...

What are peoples thoughts on the $50B proposed for public works projects?