This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• I'm sadly starting to believe that most of our social progress to date has had little to do with activism and a whole lot to do with the death rate of the elderly...
    So the solution is to kill old people?
  • So the solution is to kill old people?
    Or just wait.
    Or just wait.
    Some of those bastards are pretty resilient, though.
    Or just wait.
    Duh, Death camps.
    Or just wait.
    Duh, Death camps.
    What do you think the death panels in the health care bill were for?
  • Yeah but I'm a pretty forward thinking guy. I don't want to be gassed just because I happen to hit a certain age above which I am deemed "unnecessary."
    Or just wait.
    Duh, Death camps.
    What do you think the death panels in the health care bill were for?
    Hey grandma! I'm going to kill you...with TIME.
  • Hey grandma! I'm going to kill you...with TIME.
    -Insert picture of GreatTeacherMacRoss beating an elderly person to death with a watch-
  • -Insert picture of GreatTeacherMacRoss beating an elderly person to death with a watch-
    He should beat them to death with a grandfather clock just for the irony.
  • edited March 2011
    Just checking in to see how Hungry Joe's hero is doing. I'm really encouraged by how well he is handling Libya. What an amazing statesman. And lest anyone forget, NATO = USA - 5%.

Things just feel so different! So much "change"!

Idiots.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • he even has his own computer!

• Idiots.
    DEY SEE ME TROLLAN'
  • edited March 2011
    LULZ.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited March 2011
    Speaking of troll threads, my friends and I had an idea recently:
    Go into some forum, and argue for a flat earth, trying to draw out an extensive response from someone. Once you get a reply, simply post "That's circular reasoning!", and stop posting there.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'll do it for science.
  • Just have endless amounts of fun here.
  • Yeah, I saw that site before I came up with my idea. It's somewhat funny, but quite sad.
  • Everything is serious business there, that's what's sad to me.
  • While cleaning some stuff out of the spare bedroom, I found an old poster of Margret Thatcher that used to hang in my locker when I was in high school. The weird thing is, I chose to be a Republican back in 1983 because it seemed to me that the Republican party had some intelligent and pragmatic people at the time. As I draw closer to what would be 30 years as a registered Republican, it seems that intelligence and pragmatism has been completely destroyed in favor of fear and obfuscation. It saddens me that over time it has become a party of obstruction...
  • I've said it before, I'd love to have a tough choice when it comes to elections. The bottom line in this country at all levels seems to be two to three choices that go like this:
    R - Foreigners are going to take your jerbs and/or kill you and/or make your children gay. Also, no one should pay any taxes ever. Also, the federal government should never tell anyone what to do especially if it involves us making money, or unless we think it's icky, like queers getting married.
    Third Parties - WHARGARBL.
    D - Jesus, look at those crazy fuckers. Do you really want one of those assholes in charge?
  • D - Jesus, look at those crazy fuckers. Do you really want one of those assholes in charge?
    Well, I don't :O
  • edited April 2011
    True story: I had a dream last night that congressional Republicans won a 3/4 majority and decided to start making amendments to the Constitution. Their first act was to "improve" the first amendment so that freedom of religion was "mandatory," and all U.S. citizens had to get cards punched each Sunday showing that they had attended church. I started an underground guerrilla movement of armed atheists, but it was largely flaccid because so many of us were pacifists.

I think this dream arose largely out of my fear that my religious in-laws will ask Lisa and I to go to Easter services with them, and that we will (as always) cave because we love her parents very much.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • True story: I had a dream last night that congressional Republicans won a 3/4 majority and decided to start making amendments to the Constitution. Their first act was to "improve" the first amendment so that freedom of religion was "mandatory," and all U.S. citizens had to get cards punched each Sunday showing that they had attended church. I started an underground guerrilla movement of armed atheists, but it was largely flaccid because so many of us were pacifists.

I think this dream arose largely out of my fear that my religious in-laws will ask Lisa and I to go to Easter services with them, and that we will (as always) cave because we love her parents very much.
    Heh, I always find some way to amuse myself when I end up in a church for some reason or another.
  • True story: I had a dream last night that congressional Republicans won a 3/4 majority and decided to start making amendments to the Constitution. Their first act was to "improve" the first amendment so that freedom of religion was "mandatory," and all U.S. citizens had to get cards punched each Sunday showing that they had attended church. I started an underground guerrilla movement of armed atheists, but it was largely flaccid because so many of us were pacifists.

Heh, I always find some way to amuse myself when I end up in a church for some reason or another.
    Nintendo DS.
  • Heh, I always find some way to amuse myself when I end up in a church for some reason or another.
    I always stew and mumble arguments under my breath, then get really grumpy and pick a fight with the pastor when he comes to shake my hand. Last time I talked to him, he was bragging that his father was one of the first in his area to let black people in his church. I said, "Wouldn't it be amazing if you followed in his footsteps and openly accepted homosexuals too?" and he nearly dropped a nut.

Nintendo DS.
    Ah, a variation on the Homer Simpson method...
  • Heh, I always find some way to amuse myself when I end up in a church for some reason or another.
    I always stew and mumble arguments under my breath, then get really grumpy and pick a fight with the pastor when he comes to shake my hand. Last time I talked to him, he was bragging that his father was one of the first in his area to let black people in his church. I said, "Wouldn't it be amazing if you followed in his footsteps and openly accepted homosexuals too?" and he nearly dropped a nut.
    You get huge points for that! It's the kind of thing I would normally think of later and wish I would have said.
  • How are those civil terrorist trials going?

In all seriousness, I have a question. I'm extremely surprised that Trump is receiving lots of attention over his birth certificate comments. I thought that the issue was very dead. It's obviously only the conservatives that care, but even amongst the conservatives I presumed that interest had waned.

So my question:
    Why doesn't Obama just release the darned birth certificate? The way I see it, there are three most likely reasons:
    1) It doesn't exist. (I personally do not subscribe to this theory.)
    2) There is some information on it that he would prefer not be public. (I suspect this may be the case.)
    3) He doesn't want to give into the bullshit. (As much as I respect this, I don't suspect this is the motivation.)

I personally don't care what the birth certificate says. It could say that he is a Scientologist for all I care. The reality is that he's president, and nothing that was put on a document when he was born matters to me at all. An old piece of paper does not make the man.

As much as I don't care about the document itself, as a matter of politics, I am intrigued that Obama just doesn't release the damn thing to make the issue go away.

So... what do people think is the motivation behind NOT releasing it?

NOTE: This is NOT intended to be a debate about Obama himself. Like I said - I don't care AT ALL what is on the birth certificate. He's president. A document written by other persons at an individual's birth does not mean jack to me. I am merely interested inasmuch as this is a matter of political strategy (which is much more fascinating to me). As one of the best campaigners ever, I'm interested in wrapping my head around his approach to this particular issue.
  • Why doesn't Obama just release the darned birth certificate?
    He already did.
    I am intrigued that Obama just doesn't release the damn thing to make the issue go away.
    He did release it, and the issue didn't go away. This is politically-motivated character assassination; it's not a fight that can actually be won.

I think Obama's motivation is #3. Why bother responding when enough people argue about it already?