This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What foods are unique to your area?

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
We just had a Super Wal-Mart open near me in the rural north. (Near meaning about 1/2 an hour away.) It's amazing how the plunk these stores in pretty remote areas.

I noticed that they had several things there that you could never find for sale here. These included collard greens, okra and green chili sauce.

That got me thinking... what foods do you have in your area that are unique to your area?

I'll start:
We have "poutine." Take french fries, add gravy and cheese curds. There you go! It's a heart attack on a plate. This dish was brought to Vermont by the French Canadians. It's getting harder to find here in the States, but it's still quite popular in Quebec.

Here is what it looks like:

Comments

• Since there really are no special foods here I'll just go for a drink, Gose.

Gose is a traditional, top-fermented, pre-lager, beer style of Leipzig, Germany.

Gose beers are brewed with at least 50% of the grain bill being malted wheat. Because of the use of coriander and salt, Gose does not comply to the Reinheitsgebot. It is allowed an exemption from the rules on the grounds of being a regional speciality. It acquires its characteristic sourness through the addition of lactic acid bacteria after the boil.
    It's really never drunken plain but mixed with nearly anything you can imagine.

• Now I want poutines.. I don't know what else is native to Canada, myself..
  • edited April 2008
    When I lived in Rochester, the big local dish was the garbage plate. I've never had one, but it consists of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, or hot dogs with chili, hot sauce onions, macoroni salad/potoatosalad/french fries all in one pile.

When we lived in Buffalo, I worked minutes away from the Anchor Bar where Buffalo Wings originated. I like the extra-hot boneless wings, personally.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
    edited April 2008
    (Engelse) Drop (meaning (English) licorice, even though it's Dutch only afaik), Frikandel (with fries, also, that's a Frikandel speciaal (special)), Kroket (crunchy from the outside, soft and hot on the inside, hmmmm), what else... Peppermint?
    Post edited by ... on
  • I don't think there is a single unique food in all of Florida.
  • edited April 2008
    Well, Finland has mämmi. All I can really say is the it either is way too sweet and/or tastes the way it looks. I really don't want to remember.
    Another one is juustoleipä(cheese bread). Juustoleipä and cloudberries is awesome.
    Post edited by Anastius on
  • Now there's a good sub-thread:
    What regional creations does McDonald's have in your country? One of the above posts reminded me of the McKroket in the Netherlands.
  • When I visited Egypt, I had a falafel burger. Surprisingly delicious.
  • Behold
    Also, the reason Fast Karate can never recover their honor in my eyes. The national student food:
  • Baltimore crabs.
  • Baltimore crabs.
    I fucking hate Blue Crabs. So much fucking work for so little pay-off...
  • But they're so tasty!
  • One of the above posts reminded me of the McKroket in the Netherlands.
    How do you know about our McKroket?
  • The nice thing about living/working in New York is that pretty-much anything anyone mentions here is available for us to eat. ^_^
  • pretty-much anything anyone mentions here is available for us to eat. ^_^
    Proof it. :) Of course, a picture is enough.
  • (Engelse) Drop(meaning (English) licorice, even though it's Dutch only afaik)
    Your licorice taunts me. So does your Duo Paste. I'm gonna start trying to seek some out.
  • edited April 2008
    Baltimore crabs.
    Maryland crab cakes. Bay crabs used.
    The nice thing about living/working in New York is that pretty-much anything anyone mentions here is available for us to eat. ^_^
    Damn you New Yorker Rym! *shakes fist* Shake harder forum! *shakes fist*

These chips are only in our region right? I never seen them on my travels but here.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Ewww, crab chips? I once had Chinese shrimp chips, which were gross in and of themselves, but crab??
  • So does your Duo Paste.
    Oh yes! Duo colored/taste chocolate paste~

Duo penotti, twee kleuren in een pottie.
    Bruin en wit. Waar extra veel in zit.
    *continues humming*

And Engelse drop is only one kind of licorice we have. There's licorice with salty flavour, sweet, soft, tough, ammonium chloride. <3 Ammonium chloride candy.
  • edited April 2008
    Ewww, crab chips? I once had Chinese shrimp chips, which were gross in and of themselves, but crab??
    It's just Old Bay seasoning on plain potato chips.

I just realized DC doesn't have a special food unless I don't know what it is.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • The nice thing about living/working in New York is that pretty-much anything anyone mentions here is available for us to eat. ^_^
    I'd bet you'd have to look hard to find this anywhere outside of northern parts of Sweden. It's made out of potatoes and flour, about the size of a small fist and stuffed with pork. Very dense food but tastes better than it looks.

• RymRym
    edited April 2008
    I'd bet you'd have to look hard to find this anywhere outside of northern parts of Sweden. It's made out of potatoes and flour, about the size of a small fist and stuffed with pork. Very dense food but tastes better than it looks.
    I ate something that looked and sounded exactly like that less than a month ago at the Scandanavian House near my work. I eat there semi-regularly. ^_^
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'd bet you'd have to look hard to find this anywhere outside of northern parts of Sweden. It's made out of potatoes and flour, about the size of a small fist and stuffed with pork. Very dense food but tastes better than it looks.
    I ate something that looked and sounded exactly like that less than a month ago at the Scandanavian House near my work. I eat there semi-regularly. ^_^
    Wow I'm surprised! I didn't think Scandinavian food would have much spread outside of... well Scandinavia. Especially this dish which is all grey and blah-looking. We're not exactly famous for our cuisine - except for meatballs maybe.
  • Myself (or whatever he calls himself now) has forgotten one very important dish, stamppot. It's the signature dish of the dutch kitchen. Also, there is a baker who makes a special cake that is only available in my area The 'Utrechtse Heuvelrug'.
  • Baltimore crabs.
    But they're so tasty!
    I live in Virginia, maybe 1 1/2 hours south of Baltimore; we too share in the blue crabs, and you are one hundred percent fucking correct. I also lived in Nevada for a year in 2006 and I terribly missed having Old Bay on my seafood.
  • Baltimore crabs.
    But they're so tasty!
    I live in Virginia, maybe 1 1/2 hours south of Baltimore; we too share in the blue crabs, and you are one hundred percent fucking correct. I also lived in Nevada for a year in 2006 and I terribly missed having Old Bay on my seafood.
    They only have Old Bay here!? I guess if I move I gotta stock up! It's my favorite seasoning!
  • I'm pretty sure that McCormick sells Old Bay all over America, it just probably isn't used as much in other areas.
  • Myself (or whatever he calls himself now) has forgotten one very important dish,stamppot. It's the signature dish of the dutch kitchen. Also, there is a baker who makes a special cake that is only available in my areaThe 'Utrechtse Heuvelrug'.
    Hey! Viga is the one changing her nick all the time. And stamppot isn't worth mentioning. I do not like it. And I've never heard of Utrechtse Heuvelruggen...
  • Hey! Viga is the one changing her nick all the time
    Yeah but I keep Viga in the nickname! Nah nah!