This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What foods are unique to your area?

2»

Comments

• lets see... there is gallo pinto for breakfast (beans, rice, onions, garlic, special sauce(costarican equivalent to worcestershire sauce, not in composition but in use) and cilantro).

There is black bean soup (which none of my North American friends seem to like, its basicaly bean liquor, egg, beans, rice, onions, that special sauce I mentioned before and green plantain).

There are Costarican Tamales (no like the shitty ones you pass off as tamales...) .

Cajeta filled tangerines.

An unholy creation called a pyra (its tacos inside a burger with chorizo, a beef patty and other chunks of assorted meats).

On the caribean side we have have rice n' beans (almost the same as gallo pinto, only cooked with coconut milk and the meanest habaneros, served with curry chicken and fried ripe plantains.

Chorreadas, its a semi-seweet corn tortilla that you eat with sour cream.

We also have plantain and cassava chips for snacks.

Chancletas (sandals directly translated to english) its chayote stuffed with cheese and butter.

Something you may find weird, we have toast with sour cream and salt for breakfast.
  • umnumnum...now I am thinking about both Costa Rican food and poutine. mmmnumnum. I got Rym some Poutine and he eated it.

I come from the home town of Jello, but it isn't really specific to my area any more. When I was in Nagoya the specialties were kishimen (a kind of flat udon noodle), Miso Katsu, and...nandakke?
  • Myself (or whatever he calls himself now) has forgotten one very important dish,stamppot. It's the signature dish of the dutch kitchen. Also, there is a baker who makes a special cake that is only available in my areaThe 'Utrechtse Heuvelrug'.
    Hey! Viga is the one changing her nick all the time. And stamppot isn't worth mentioning. I do not like it. And I've never heard of Utrechtse Heuvelruggen...
    thought so, it's not a big thing, but it is here...

also, DUDE! who could you not like stamppot? especially Kale (boerenkool for us dutch people) with mashed potatoes and gravy! (that's one example of a vegetable used. There is also unions and carrots and the famous sauerkraut).
    edited April 2008
    also, DUDE! who could you not like stamppot? especiallyKale(boerenkool for us dutch people) with mashed potatoes and gravy! (that's one example of a vegetable used. There is also unions and carrots and the famous sauerkraut).
    I'm more a fan of pastas. I do not hate stamppot (I hate spruitjes (Brussel sprouts)), I just prefer other foods. And because I'm no huge fan of cuisines in general I know little about what's a signature dish of a nation.

Oooh, what about Limburgse Vlaai? Never had it, but I think it's unique to the Netherlands/South of the Netherlands.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm more a fan of pastas. I do not hate stamppot (I hate spruitjes (Brussel sprouts)), I just prefer other foods. And because I'm no huge fan of cuisines in general I know little about what's a signature dish of a nation.

Oooh, what about Limburgse Vlaai? Never had it, but I think it's unique to the Netherlands/South of the Netherlands.
    I totally forgot! My auntie always had some ready when we visited her. Also, are flemish fries considered wide spread? they are a lot thicker then the normal french fries and thus a lot softer and less crispy
  • I just remembered, vigoron, its diced tomatoes with lemon, onions and cilantro, with boiled cassava chunks and pork cracklings all wrapped in a plantain leaf.
  • I totally forgot! My auntie always had some ready when we visited her. Also, are flemish fries considered wide spread? they are a lot thicker then the normal french fries and thus a lot softer and less crispy
    With French fries you mean the stuff at McDonalds? In that case, we have Flemish fries all the time over here.
  • I totally forgot! My auntie always had some ready when we visited her. Also, are flemish fries considered wide spread? they are a lot thicker then the normal french fries and thus a lot softer and less crispy
    With French fries you mean the stuff at McDonalds? In that case, we have Flemish fries all the time over here.
    I also live in holland.
  • When I was in Cincinnati, I had the pleasure of eating Cincinnati chili (all 3 major brands) and Goetta.
  • I live in Virginia, maybe 1 1/2 hours south of Baltimore; we too share in the blue crabs, and you are one hundred percent fucking correct. I also lived in Nevada for a year in 2006 and I terribly missed having Old Bay on my seafood.
    I'm from Fairfax and I still say fuck Blue Crabs...
    These chips are only in our region right? I never seen them on my travels but here.
    We have them up here in Boston.
    These chips are only in our region right? I never seen them on my travels but here.
    We have them up here in Boston.
    I've seen those down here, not the same brand, but I've seen crab and shrimp chips, almost always of Chinese origin.
  • When I was in Cincinnati, I had the pleasure of eatingCincinnati chili(all 3 major brands) andGoetta.
    Oh man, Cincinnati chili is so freaking good.

San Francisco can lay claims on sourdough bread (it's ancient, but in America, it started in San Francisco) and American-style burritos. Also Rice-A-Roni. But we don't like that one.
  • Oh man, Cincinnati chili is so freaking good.
    Skyline Chili? I think it's a bit overrated, but I did see Sarah Michelle Gellar there.

Well, nothing beats barbecue and slaw here in the Old North state.
  • When I was in Cincinnati, I had the pleasure of eatingCincinnati chili(all 3 major brands) andGoetta.
    My mom makes some kick-ass Cincinnati chili. That stuff's so good...

Over here in Rochester, in addition to garbage plates (which are delicious) I should mention what we call "hot sauce". It's not really that hot, and it basically consists of cinnamon, some other spices (I don't recall exactly what) and ground beef. It's great. No, seriously. It's awesome.
  • edited April 2008
    Mexican food.

As to regional Mexican food I have on my hometown there is Cabrito.

And machacado, which is basically dry beef, for breakfast we serve them with eggs.
    Post edited by Double Z on
  • They only have Old Bay here!? I guess if I move I gotta stock up! It's my favorite seasoning!
    I searched at least 4 different stores in Carson City, with no luck. I would say stock up if you move anywhere away from the east coast, especially if you're going west of the Mississippi.
  • The first thing I think of are all of the different barbecue places around Kansas City. There have been many lively discussions about which ones people prefer.
    We also host the American Royal BBQ cook-off, so that counts for something.

I have been amused by seeing KC featured twice so far on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" and I was able to go to one of the places last week.

The dish in the centre is called Dosa. It's a rice-puree poured as a thin layer over a hot pan and fried a little. Native to Kerala, India. The dishes surrounding are various curries.