This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Reasons to hate Vista that are Microsoft's fault.

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
As someone who has downgraded I thought I'd let Rym and Scott know about legitimate reasons to hate Vista, that are Microsoft's fault. It's true a lot of complaints are down to other peoples' software writing but don't let the noise of those complaints deafen you to the real problems.

1. Missing features. Not just things like virtual desktops that came up but things that were promised. Notably WinFS.
2. A world of SKUs. Some argue it doesn't change your living-with-Vista experience, which might be true, until you realise the feature you want or need is in a higher SKU. Then, well, then it becomes a reason to hate.
3. Performance. Vista benchmarks slower than XP, even if you turn all the 'aesthetic features' off.
4. Blocked start-up. Vista will block software from running at startup and make the user manually run the program every time. You cannot white-list the software. To make it run at startup you MUST turn off UAC and therefore disable all the much-vaunted security features of Vista. I have a headless server running this way. Thank god it's not accessible to the world.
5. DirectX 10 Lock-in. Do I need to explain this one?

Anyone else got any others? These are certainly enough for me but I'm sure there are others.

Comments

• RymRym
    edited April 2008
    I have a headless server running this way.
    That's your problem. Windows Vista was never intended to be a server: that's what Server 2003 is for.
    Missing features. Not just things like virtual desktops that came up but things that were promised. Notably WinFS.
    That's not a reason to downgrade FROM Vista: it's just a reason not to PAY to upgrade TO Vista. What does Vista not have that XP did?
    Performance. Vista benchmarks slower than XP, even if you turn all the 'aesthetic features' off.
    There are benchmarks that say the opposite. Benchmarks are almost entirely useless in measuring the performance of modern OSs and software.
    DirectX 10 Lock-in. Do I need to explain this one?
    What exactly do you mean by that? The fact that it's not supported in XP? That's a reason to dislike Microsoft's policies, not to avoid Vista.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited April 2008
    I thought directx 10 was tied into vista but directx 9.0c was not and was practically the same?
    3. Performance. Vista benchmarks slower than XP, even if you turn all the 'aesthetic features' off.
    I think you're talking about gaming and the 'aesthetic features' are automatically turned off during game play and do not affect your games at all.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Yeah, gaming-based benchmarks do tend to favour XP over Vista.
    However, I'm a PC gamer and my machine (reasonably beasty) is running Vista (32-bit), because I got teh OS legally for free from my university.

I could've gotten XP for free also, but I decided to try Vista.
    Guess what? No problems so far. The fact that Vista seems slower for gaming at the moment is annoying, but not excessively.

If I didn't need to use the PC for games I'd try Linux on it though.
  • edited April 2008
    If I didn't need to use the PC for games I'd try Linux on it though.
    Dual booting, vmware, or just lusing the live CD temporarily. These are all options which are available without damaging your Vista install. Heck, the new Ubuntu is going to have an option that lets you install Ubuntu as a windows application, or so I hear. It will be out in 15 days.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hmm, okay; give me some strong reasons to run Ubuntu given the fact that I have Vista and will continue to run it.

I'm pretty lazy, but even so, it will only take a few good ones to convince me to try it.
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, okay; give me some strong reasons to run Ubuntu given the fact that I have Vista and will continue to run it.

I'm pretty lazy, but even so, it will only take a few good ones to convince me to try it.
    No viruses, trojans, or other adware. That's three reasons. And if you are logged into Ubuntu you prevent your Vista install of getting bogged down by adware so you won't have to clean up as much to have a fun playing experience.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited April 2008
    Hmm, okay; give me some strong reasons to run Ubuntu given the fact that I have Vista and will continue to run it.

No virusses, trojans, or other adware. That's three reasons. And if you are logged into Ubuntu you prevent your Vista install of getting bogged down by adware so you won't have to clean up as much to have a fun playing experience.
    Well, I've barely ever get those. If it somehow becomes a problem, that'll change my mind pretty quickly.

MOAR reasons plzkthx.
    Also, must sleep now.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Why, whenever someone asks us to "convince them" to use linux, do they think that we actually care if they use it or not?
  • Why, whenever someone asks us to "convince them" to use linux, do they think that we actually care if they use it or not?
    Why do you think I think you care?

I'm lazy, I'm milking you guys for information, which has value.
    If people can't be bothered to help me out, I've lost nothing.
  • I'm pretty lazy, but even so, it will only take a few good ones to convince me to try it.
    I'm not trying to convince you to switch to it and get rid of Vista or anything like that. I'm not trying to sell you the product. I'm just trying to get you to taste the free sample. It will take almost no time, costs no money, and you might learn something. Just burn the CD, put it in, and play with it a little bit. It will be fun. Then just shut down, take the CD out, and go back to your Vista ways.
  • No virusses, trojans, or other adware. That's three reasons. And if you are logged into Ubuntu you prevent your Vista install of getting bogged down by adware so you won't have to clean up as much to have a fun playing experience.
    These are non-issues of you are not a retard.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm not trying to convince you to switch to it and get rid of Vista or anything like that. I'm not trying to sell you the product. I'm just trying to get you to taste the free sample. It will take almost no time, costs no money, and you might learn something. Just burn the CD, put it in, and play with it a little bit. It will be fun. Then just shut down, take the CD out, and go back to your Vista ways.
    Well, I'll put a download of the CD on.
    My laziness is too great to try a dual-boot right off the bat, but using the live CD a bit is pretty low-effort.

Also, thanks Andrew, I was considering saying something like that but I was afraid of the response "but you are a retard"
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • My laziness is too great to try a dual-boot right off the bat, but using the live CD a bit is pretty low-effort.
    As I said, you might not even have to do the LiveCD. Just let windows auto-run the disc for the new beta, and see what happens.
  • Ah, umenu eh?
  • Ah, umenu eh?
    Also Wubi, a dangerous combination.
  • Also,thanksAndrew, I was considering saying something like that but I was afraid of the response "but you are a retard"
    What the hell? This isn't a crap forum for gods sake.

And besides, even if you're not a retard you can still catch crap on a (patched) Windows system merely by being connected to the internet.

Note to self, reboot Firefox before posting after reinstalling the English dictionary.
  • Sounds like fun.
    I'll probably set it aside for a couple of days since I have a workload spike with uni, but if it's that easy I can't not try it.
  • The Windows 16 bit emulation on Vista is buggy and prone to crashing.
    What are you using it for?
  • Also,thanksAndrew, I was considering saying something like that but I was afraid of the response "but you are a retard"
    What the hell? This isn't a crap forum for gods sake.
    Bah!
    I was just kidding, though I did get a bit of aggression from Sail.
    And besides, even if you're not a retard you can still catch crap on a (patched) Windows system merely by being connected to the internet.
    True enough, especially without a firewall.
  • umenu and Wubi.
    That looks beautiful.
  • edited April 2008
    umenu and Wubi.
    Win. Hardy Heron is going to be the release that gets me introducing others to Ubuntu.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Wow, that is quite the piece of beauty.
  • Oh yeah, they've also changed the boot menu. It used to be when you booted the LiveCD it would have an option that said "start or install Ubuntu" now they have separated it into two options. "Start Ubuntu without changing anything" and "Install". This is much better.
    Some older Windows games. Most notably the origianl Civ games.
    Some older Windows games. Most notably the origianl Civ games.
    VMWare and wine
    these programs are your best friends
    DOSBox is good too
  • Hmm, okay; give me some strong reasons to run Ubuntu given the fact that I have Vista and will continue to run it.

You really aren't going to find any strong reasons to use Linux. If you're anything like me, you do everything you do on Windows on Linux, but there's nothing you wanna do on Linux that can't be done on Windows. All it does is add dual booting into your life, which isn't much fun. If you wanna run a server, play with Linux, it's good for that. If you wanna surf the web and word processing, Ubuntu is good. If you wanna game, just stick with Windows.
  • Going back to the original post.... I've been using Vista for 4 or so months now. So far so good. All the old programs I used to use are now Vista compatible (Actually, by now just about everything is Vista compatible. It was more of an issue 4 months ago, and prior to that when I was looking at vista systems in general).

It doesn't really lack anything that XP had, so I'm not really missing anything. Vista's volume mixer is something I really like that wasn't available in XP.

One problem I've been having, though, is that it's been crashing at least once a week since I got it. Mind you, it's just like...system freeze>system restarts>everything's fine. It's never really that big of a pain and I rarely lose any data over it, so it's not really that bad. I can imagine it being a pain for others, though. Also, I'm not sure what's causing the crash. It might just be a buggy piece of software I have. I'm not totally sure....

But regardless, my statements are basically to not go and upgrade to Vista from XP, but if you're getting a new system with Vista installed, don't be worried, since it's not that bad.
  • Two reasons I've seen to hate Vista are:
    1) New network manager, which is not easy for someone coming from XP to pick up and configure.
    2) The new way 'My Documents' is implemented. This causes problems for people that put their profile up on a server. My IT teacher is always talking about how much this pisses him off.
    Two reasons to love Vista:
    1) New Event Viewer is a lot better than the older ones.
    2) New firewall checks inbound and outbound traffic. (XP only does inbound)

These are things that I've noticed from attempting to configure internet sharing with a 360 and 3G laptop card on my cousin's laptop, and having my IT teacher demonstrate things in Vista (Half the time him cursing as he realizes that they've changed it). Also I'm not sure if it was my not-so-legal copy that my friend gave me to try, but when I installed it on my computer there was only one driver that didn't automatically install. I haven't used it since then, since I don't want to set it all up while I have a perfect XP install.