This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In search of beta Geeknights...

Comments

• Randomly got the urge to start searching for these again. Felt like I got tantalizingly close at one point, but wasn't actually. Aaaaaaagh

Any new hints that can be offered to those of us who still want to find these episodes after all these years? I am willing to admit that I do not know how the internet works if that's what it takes to get a clearer hint.
  • Rym said on some show sometime that there are no links to Beta Geeknights anywhere on the internets that he knows of, so the only way to find it is to guess the URL, and that someone had but they were sworn to secrecy.
  • It's sad that I used to know where this was but have since forgotten it :-p
  • Now the second simultaneous quest comes into play: finding out who we have to bribe. ;)

And ScoJo, let us know if it ever comes back to you. :) Do you at least remember which domain it might have been hosted on? One of Scrym's or a third-party site?
  • You know, it's slightly gray hat, but we could hit their domains with bots designed to systematically try every possible URL...

Alternatively, and definitely illegally, someone could try breaking into their servers and looking for them.
  • Random thought, kickstarter for beta geeknights.
  • edited October 2012
    How about you don't do that, Sonic. Because if you did, I'd know it was you.
    It would be all like "Dammit, Sonic hacked into the server!"
    And then we would have to yell at you.

ALSO: It was not on a domain we owned. It was one someone else's domain.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • ALSO: It was not on a domain we owned. It was one someone else's domain.
    Lesson learned, hollow threats gets us hints.
    I always assumed the beta Geeknights is on Libsyn, like every other episode.
    I always assumed the beta Geeknights is on Libsyn, like every other episode.
    I didn't, because the first few "real" geeknights episodes are on Apreche.net/~rym.
    Could be RIT hosted. I checked a while back with wayback and it's pretty hard to find their old student pages.

• edited October 2012
    Yeah, RIT's hosting is weird. You'd need to know their RIT account username, at which point it would be at:
    https://people.rit.edu/~[theirusernamehere]
    And they could very easily block it off. In the class where I learned HTML, a part of the curriculum was making it so certain folders in your directory required an RIT account to login to view them. They could very easily program the whole directory to require one of their accounts with their coding knowledge.
    So if that's where it is, it may or may not be accessible.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Apreche and Schezar both yield nothing on wayback machine.
  • How about you don't do that, Sonic. Because if you did, I'd know it was you.
    It would be all like "Dammit, Sonic hacked into the server!"
    And then we would have to yell at you.

ALSO: It was not on a domain we owned. It was one someone else's domain.
    C'mon, you ought to know me better than that. :-(
    First of all, not only do I not posses the skills to do that, but even if I did, it's kinda a dick move.
  • Apreche and Schezar both yield nothing on wayback machine.
    If you were trying that with the RIT thing, that no work. RIT usernames were assigned. They're your initials (including middle name) and a number. Literally the only way we'd know it is if they told us.

• The number was (illegally) for many years the last four digits of the student's SSN...
  • They said it was accessable from the internet by everyone.

Also, GeekNights was well after they left RIT, if I remember right.
  • Meh.

And wow, really? Who's bright idea was that?
  • Seems it's pretty trivial to find their old RIT IDs (just Googling their full names + "rit" brings them up), but it looks like that may be a dead-end path anyway. Their old school pages are offline, both in the new URL format and the old. The Wayback archives of each offer no clues either. Any audio links on Rym's pages lead to an RIT domain of Scott's, which has nothing relevant on it; and Scott's school pages all forward to (old) apreche.net, which we know is a dead-end.

That said, all things considered, they could still be on an RIT server somewhere; the links just might not be that easy to find. We still don't know. Curiouser and curiouser...

On the plus side of all that, the Wayback Machine did save a copy of Scott's old audio blog, which I was able to download. Will listen to that soon, as I've never heard it before. :)
  • If I'm remembering correctly, Scrym mentioned on an episode that they were considering naming the show "Pillow Talk with Rym and Scott" for a time. Has anyone taken that information into account in the search yet?
  • edited October 2012
    Sort of, but I doubt you'd find anything of that name in a straight-up search. Mainly I've been keeping in mind that if I find any likely file candidates, it's possible they could be listed under that name or an initialism of that name.

More likely, though, it's going to be called GeekNights, because I think they said the Pillow Talk title was never actually used for anything. The name "GeekNights" goes along with the theme of the show itself (a late night talk show for geeks), which they used in favour of the straight-up pillow talk theme they'd toyed with before.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Well, I feel like a stalker.
  • "Pillow Talk with Rym and Scott"
    Has been thoroughly documented.
  • Man it has been 8 years since this thread was created and no one has found them yet.
  • Well I know some people are going to be excited for this, here is the theme song.

• Why would people be excited when everyone already knew about it?
  • So seriously no one ever found these? Okay guys I think 6 years is long enough for another hint
  • Http://stuff that's really not obfuscated at all/obvious file name.mp3
  • I think the bigger question is "Does anyone care at this point?"

I mean, honestly, I care more about the forum than the podcast. It's kinda my default landing page.