This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In search of beta Geeknights...

123457»

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Oh wow, I think I found them on accident.

If I did, I have to concur with everyone else who has found them and say it's really obvious what the url is, and you will hit yourself when you find out.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Banta said:

WTF is up with people saying ON accident. There's no such thing as ON accident. It's BY accident. BY!
  • Want to see some really old shit? I might be able to find a version of my web site from high school if I check some floppy disks, but this one is from the year 1999/2000.

http://www.apreche.net/old-site/
  • Apreche said:

Banta said:

WTF is up with people saying ON accident. There's no such thing as ON accident. It's BY accident. BY!
    Grammar Girl says it's an age thing.
  • edited March 2016
    I thought I had everything backed up, but I'm having trouble finding some things, like the code from that CS project.

EDIT: FOUND IT. I'm so good at backups yo.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2016
    https://github.com/Apreche/oglbb

I dare you to get this code to build and run.
  • edited March 2016
    Oh yeah, I still have EVERYTHING. Hey look, it's the files we put on the free GeekNights CD!
  • Is that the new challenge now that the beta episodes have been found/are soon to be released?
  • OMG I just realized that the code includes an RCS folder. Does anyone here even know what that is? That's what we used for source control before Git, before SVN and before CVS. I'm just glad I wasn't coding back in the days of SCSS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_Control_System
  • Yeah, I think it's time. I can't actually get any new projects done, but maybe I can revamp and refresh frontrowcrew.com and apreche.net this year.
  • Fucking RCS. I used that at Pipeline.

A few of you have found some of the beta episodes. But not all of them.

You'll know you have all of them if you have the following dates:

2005-10-11
    2005-10-17
    2005-10-18 (two versions)
    2005-10-19
    2005-10-20
    2005-10-24
    2005-10-25
    2005-10-26

The first public episode was 2005-10-31. We released it retroactively after we went live 2005-11-01.
  • Oh man, I was just listening to the October 11th one.

We think Karl Rove might get indicted for treason. Then we talk about how to commit righteous treason. Interesting in light of how Snowden went down.
  • You used RCS that recently???
  • edited March 2016
    Got a bunch of them :) Just missing 1011, 1017, 1018v2 and 1025. Dat mic tho. Also, Dorf Screenshots
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Wait, is there a different public source? Or are some of those privately hosted? So far it sounds like we've all found the same source.
  • edited March 2016
    Pegu said:

Just a reminder.

Rym said:

Whoever figures it out and listens to them will be a guest on a Thursday episode of GeekNights.

Also: does anyone care about Scott's audioblog?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2016
    Apreche said:

You used RCS that recently???

That we were made to use RCS in CS1 is just about as flabbergasting. That shit is ancient (and SVN, much less CVS, aren't actually that new.)

EDIT: Okay, some quick research has revealed the somewhat odd/fascinating fact that free/open-source version control didn't actually change for the entirety of the 1990s. SVN is actually newer than I first thought, 1.0 seems to have been released in 2004; meanwhile RCS is from the early 80s and CVS was released in 1990.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • edited March 2016
    Alex said:

Apreche said:

You used RCS that recently???

That we were made to use RCS in CS1 is just about as flabbergasting. That shit is ancient (and SVN, much less CVS, aren't actually that new.)
    Uh, SVN was released in the year 2000. It came into common usage while we were in college. I remember people using it when it was bleeding edge and I gave them the same side-eye that I gave to noSQL people a few years back and to nodejs people nowadays.

Git was released in 2005, but didn't actually get used more widely until 2007 and then Github came in 2008. Version control that isn't garbage is actually shockingly new. I was the early adopter who deserved the side-eye for this one. But Git solved all the problems I had with SVN, and Linux using it gave it the credibility.
  • I used RCS as the back-end for a twiki wiki I administered as late as 2010.
  • Yeah, I originally thought SVN was a bit older than that for some reason. As you said, decent version control is a shockingly new thing.

I guess RCS did have the virtue of simplicity. Looking at the options, I'm not actually sure I want to lobby to have been taught CVS at first instead.
  • SVN was also weirdly unstable due to the developers starting with a db backend rather than something file based. Hosting it on a networked filesystem was a bad idea. The db tended to corrupt itself with no clear path to recovery. Backing up the repo was also complicated. It got less bad once they added a filesystem backend, but it was still very weird to use. I only ever made toy repos with it.

Git is the way and the light.
  • okeefe said:

Unless you have a lot of non-text files in your repo. In those cases a different solution like Perforce (aka Helix) is preferable.
  • Apreche said:

I was the early adopter who deserved the side-eye for this one.

Maybe, but backing the horse Linus is riding and dudebro-my-shell-is-fscked-up-so-i-got-to-rm-slash-star-you-ii-its-straight-up-bash-time are two very different things.
  • edited March 2016
    Starfox said:

dudebro-my-shell-is-fscked-up-so-i-got-to-rm-slash-star-you-ii-its-straight-up-bash-time are two very different things.

Dude, bro that's awesome. Did you come up with that?

Inb4 gifs

Or vidyas
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2016
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Well, yeah. But the Linus version is pretty sick.
  • okeefe said:

Unless you have a lot of non-text files in your repo. In those cases a different solution like Perforce (aka Helix) is preferable.
    This was true, but now they have Git LFS. https://git-lfs.github.com/

At least on paper that will get the job done. I've never tried it, and don't know if it actually works. If it does, hooray! If not, I have another solution.

Let's say I'm making a game, and I have a lot of large texture files. I still put my source code in Git, because duh.

Next I put the textures in the cloud, probably Amazon S3. I put them in a directory that is named 1. Now we immediately copy directory 1 to a second directory named 2. Al the work done by artists will be updates to directory 2. Directory 1 is now read-only.

Artists probably aren't working on the same exact texture file simultaneously. It's very difficult (impossible?) to resolve conflicts on binary files anyway. Once all the textures are in a stable state, I copy the entire 2 directory to another directory named 3. All new work happens in directory 3, and directory 2 is now read-only.

Now back to the source code. I have a constant somewhere in my code that looks something like this: TEXTURE_VERSION = 2. Now I can tie together the version of code I'm using to a specific set of textures. I can also easily change this setting to 3, 4, etc. to test and see if the unstable version is good to go or not.

Might need to write a tiny bit of code that will update your local machine form the remote textures. Not difficult. You were going to be doing the same thing with a git pull anyways, and a download from S3 is probably faster.
  • There's some pretty good "rym and scott are gay" material in these.