This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Biggest Disappointment

GeoGeo
edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I was reading about Emily's sad story about how she got sick inexplicably on the day president of Pixar was visiting a class, and that got me thinking of a really important question that we've probably asked ourselves at least once in our life.

What is the biggest disappointment in your life? That is, what event did you become excited for more than anything in the world only to have it shattered into a billion pieces due to powers beyond your control?

The biggest disappointment for myself is when me and a few of my friends were at the NY Anime Convention in December. We heard Jhonen Vasquez was there and we got REALLY excited and made it our goal, no our duty, to see and get an autograph from Jhonen Vasquez.

Me and my friends started going around the center asking people where he was and whenever we were told where he was, he was never there. We kept looking and after about around 24 tips, we sadly gave up. However, it was only an hour later after we told my dad (he was with us at the time cause I can't drive) about our predicament and epic failure. He laid the terrible truth on us and said that just after we told him that we were going to find Vasquez, he showed up not five minutes later. We all screamed loudly and we almost cried because we missed our only chance to see him. The pain still gnaws at me even today. However, I bet we'll get to see him again IF he comes to Connecticon this year.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    However, I bet we'll get to see him again IF he comes to Connecticon this year.
    If you want to keep tabs on what cons he's going to, read his blag.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The biggest disappointment for myself is when me and a few of my friends were at the NY Anime Convention in December.
    Please don't take offense at this, but if your biggest disappointment is that you didn't get an autograph from some dude, then you're leading a very, very sheltered life.
  • The biggest disappointment for myself is when me and a few of my friends were at the NY Anime Convention in December.
    Please don't take offense at this, but if your biggest disappointment is that you didn't get an autograph from some dude, then you're leading a very, very sheltered life.
    No offense taken bro. Maybe I should've reiterated what I said, I think that the autograph failure was ONE of my biggest disappointments. I have plenty more, but I'm tired and I'll discuss them some other time.
    No offense taken bro. Maybe I should've reiterated what I said, I think that the autograph failure was ONE of my biggest disappointments. I have plenty more, but I'm tired and I'll discuss them some other time.
    You didn't say that at all. You said:
    I was reading about Emily's sad story about how she got sick inexplicably on the day president of Pixar was visiting a class, and that got me thinking of a really important question that we've probably asked ourselves at least once in our life.

What is the biggest disappointment in your life? That is, what event did you become excited for more than anything in the world only to have it shattered into a billion pieces due to powers beyond your control?

The biggest disappointment for myself is when me and a few of my friends were at the NY Anime Convention in December. We heard Jhonen Vasquez was there and we got REALLY excited and made it our goal, no our duty, to see and get an autograph from Jhonen Vasquez.

Me and my friends started going around the center asking people where he was and whenever we were told where he was, he was never there. We kept looking and after about around 24 tips, we sadly gave up. However, it was only an hour later after we told my dad (he was with us at the time cause I can't drive) about our predicament and epic failure. He laid the terrible truth on us and said that just after we told him that we were going to find Vasquez, he showed up not five minutes later. We all screamed loudly and we almost cried because we missed our only chance to see him. The pain still gnaws at me even today. However, I bet we'll get to see him again IF he comes to Connecticon this year.
    Not once in there did I see you say "the autograph failure was ONE of my biggest disappointments". You clearly said it was your biggest disappointment in answer to your question, "What is the biggest disappointment in your life?".
  • We love you too, Edmund.
  • We all screamed loudly and we almost cried because we missed our only chance to see him. The pain still gnaws at me even today. However, I bet we'll get to see him again IF he comes to Connecticon this year.
    You almost cried? The pain still gnaws at you? Even if this is only ONE of your disappointments, I think I want to change lives with you. You've been extremely sheltered. How old are you?
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    Tie between a failed relationship and college not turning out like I'd hoped it would.

Bitter, Ed? Some people have less sucky lives. Don't worry about it.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited April 2008
    Tie between a failed relationship and college not turning out like I'd hoped it would.
    That's all you've got? Jesus, you people are sheltered.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Care to share your tales of woe?
  • Care to share your tales of woe?
    Joe is a walking pile of misery and angst. Challenging him to share a tale of woe is like daring Mike Tyson to act crazy.
  • edited April 2008
    Care to share your tales of woe?
    Oh, just a mother who died of cancer, a grandmother who died of alzheimer's, a grandfather who shot himself to death because of that grandmother, my father being in a hospital for depression because of that whole mess, a grandfather who died of emphysema, an aunt who died from cancer, growing up poor on a farm and watching multiple crops fail in the fields, seeing multiple animals (including pets - I've had pets die from freezing to death and I've actually had pets die from being trapped in a burning building) die, multiple family members who are sick right now, having a motorcycle stolen, having two engagements fail, seeing your business for all intents and purposes fail before your eyes . . .

That's a start. I don't want to go much further now because I'm at work and I don't want to get too depressed. I think one of the biggest single disappointments was being stiffed a three thousand dollar fee during Christmas, a very, very slow time of year for a solo practitioner. That three thousand would have made for a good Christmas. Instead, we had a Hard Candy Christmas while we tried to figure out if we could pay the mortgage for that month.

So, yeah. If not getting an autograph from some anime dude even makes it onto your list of disappointments, I want to trade lives.
  • My mother died of cancer as well. However, that would not fit under the definition of disappointment asked for
    That is, what event did you become excited for more than anything in the world only to have it shattered into a billion pieces due to powers beyond your control?
    Stiffed a bunch of money on Christmas sucks, though, as do failed engagements. :/

Still, though. No use being bitter over other people having things less rough. It happens. In the immortal words of Ice T, "Don't hate the players, hate the game."
  • You guys are mean. It'd be a huge disappointment too; I'd be greatly disappointed to miss JV too because he's such a role model to me - the type of person I want to be - maybe not personality, but amount of success for sure. He's young and hasn't had much experience -for- disappointments. How old are you again, Lordyupa? Probably the same age, if younger, than me.

And like Lordyupa, I haven't had much space for disappointments... My decision to move back in with my mom was a major disappointment, but necessary. I was 16 and I wanted to save for college, but I've been miserable since. I moved out late October/early November and moved back into Mom's in April I believe. It was blissful when I lived on my own, even though I was working a full time job plus school. I didn't care; I was happy.

Second biggest disappointment: I won't be going into college dorms next year, probably. I might be going to a big con out East (AnimeNorth) so I might not bother with dorms (money issues). Plus, Mom managed to make me promise not to, in exchange for her paying for my art course. ><;
  • edited April 2008
    My mother died of cancer as well. However, that would not fit under the definition of disappointment asked for
    That is, what event did you become excited for more than anything in the world only to have it shattered into a billion pieces due to powers beyond your control?
    If you're going to quibble over his defintion, I could say that we were excited that SHE MIGHT BE CURED, but then we were disappointed when SHE DIED ANYWAY. Does that fit your goddamned defintion?!!
    Still, though. No use being bitter over other people having things less rough. It happens. In the immortal words of Ice T, "Don't hate the players, hate the game."
    I'm not bitter at all about "other people having things less rough". I'm just saying that missing an autograph is not a very big disappointment.
  • If you're going to quibble over his defintion, I could say that we were excited thatSHE MIGHT BE CURED, but then we were disappointed whenSHE DIED ANYWAY. Does that fit your goddamned defintion?!!
    My apologies. In my mother's case, it was pretty much understood that it was a lost cause, and everyone just sort of got their affairs in order.
  • You guys are mean.
    1. He deserves to have some meanness sent his way for starting a thread with this title and then posting such a lame story.

2. He has no room to complain, no matter how mean we are, if that little non-event is even on his short list of disappointments.
  • ordyupa, I haven't had much space for disappointments... My decision to move back in with my mom was a major disappointment, but necessary. I was 16 and I wanted to save for college, but I've been miserable since. I moved out late October/early November and moved back into Mom's in April I believe. It was blissful when I lived on my own, even though I was working a full time job plus school. I didn't care; I was happy.

Second biggest disappointment: I won't be going into college dorms next year, probably. I might be going to a big con out East (AnimeNorth) so I might not bother with dorms (money issues). Plus, Mom managed to make me promise not to, in exchange for her paying for my art course. ><;</p>
    I'm 18 years old, how old are you?
  • This thread is full of anger.
    I think lordyupa is lucky to have that story as a disappointment and I feel sorry that Ed had such terrible things happen in his life.

My biggest disappointment was that I stayed pretty depressed for 2 years. I wasted 2 years of my life when I could have just sucked it up and continued life happily like I do today. Life rocks. However, during those two years I played wow... which is another big ass disappointment. I blame my wow playing on me not wanting to deal with more important issues. Wow helped me stay depressed. When I finally rid myself of wow, I was happy again! There are other small disappointments in my life but none as stupid as that one. I still think its pretty embarrassing to mention... but whatever, I learned from it.
  • edited April 2008
    This thread is full of anger.
    I am not angry, godammit! Now you just shut the fuck up! /sarcasm.

Seriously, I don't see what the problem is. I'm not angry at all. I'm as mellow as can be when I say the autograph story is not a good example of a disappointment of any size, big or small. That's all. It doesn't make me angry in the least. It does make me wonder about what kind of easy life this kid has had, but I'm not angry about that either. The best way to describe the way I feel about his story is that I feel a little bemused.
  • I'm disappointed I will never be able to meet Carl Sagan :(
  • This thread is full of anger.
    I am not angry, godammit! Now you just shut the fuck up! /sarcasm.

Seriously, I don't see what the problem is. I'm not angry at all. I'm as mellow as can be when I say the autograph story is not a good example of a disappointment of any size, big or small. That's all. It doesn't make me angry in the least. It does make me wonder about what kind of easy life this kid has had, but I'm not angry about that either. The best way to describe the way I feel about his story is that I feel a little bemused.
    I think the issue here is the comparison of personal tragedy to disappointment. That's not really a fair comparison; I mean, of COURSE one of the worst things that happens in life is the loss of a loved one. We don't need to talk about those with each other in this context, as it might encourage measuring our epeens via tragedies; that's not the sort of contest anyone wants to win, y'know?

The thing with disappointment (well, and tragedy, to an extent), is that it's relative. You get yourself all hyped up for an event, and then when it falls through, you feel crushed. They might feel like more cursory events, and they usually are. However, the letdowns can often reveal life lessons, without having to go through a deep personal tragedy.
  • edited April 2008
    How about this, then? I had a client on trial for murder. It wasn't a death penalty case, at least. His story was that he was cleaning a handgun (on the bed - I didn't say he was smart) when his fiancee came and sat down beside him. She jostled the bed, his finger slipped, and she was shot at point blank range through her head. I had an expert from the state police lab at the trial to testify that the gun could have "gone off" unintentionally. The Commonwealth Attorney had an expert from the same lab to say exactly the opposite.

I worked my butt off preparing for that case. I really thought I had a shot at winning if I could just get them to believe that it was an accident. They found him guilty of Murder I and sent him away for forty (40) years. Now THAT was a disappointment.

I tried the accident theory once again in an arson case. The facts truly supported a possible accident. Once again, I thought there was a real chance of winning. They found my defendant guilty of Arson I and sent her away for twenty (20) years.

Fortunately, I haven't had any other cases turn out nearly that badly. Those two are the ones that brought the most disappointment and shame. Those two are the cases I think about at night when I hear the . . . sounds.
  • All I can say is wtf reasonable doubt!

• I think the issue here is the comparison of personal tragedy to disappointment. That's not really a fair comparison; I mean, of COURSE one of the worst things that happens in life is the loss of a loved one. We don't need to talk about those with each other in this context, as it might encourage measuring our epeens via tragedies; that's not the sort of contest anyone wants to win, y'know?

The thing with disappointment (well, and tragedy, to an extent), is that it's relative. You get yourself all hyped up for an event, and then when it falls through, you feel crushed. They might feel like more cursory events, and they usually are. However, the letdowns can often reveal life lessons, without having to go through a deep personal tragedy.
    I don't think I could have said it better myself..
  • I'm 18 years old, how old are you?
    I turn 18 in June. X3 Close enough.
  • Hmmm. It hard to think of anything super disappointing that isn't a tragic event.

I guess I'm disappointed in my art skill compared to others but hard work and practice fixes that continuously anyway.

I'm disappointed that a friendship with an ex is practically done. He's an emo ridden ass so that's not really a disappointment but awesome.

Um, well, everything I could think of is tragic personal fucked up events of my life that I doubt the forum would enjoy reading. All the small things like autographs only lasted for maybe a day or less. I get happy again quickly with friends. Meh.
  • I'd like to say my biggest, most recent dis was the ending to Shigofumi.

I have not had such high expectations for a series since Trigun, and it copped out like a pathetic shojo and had everyone on their knees and crying. And I said, "no! You do not cop out like that."

I have not had such high expectations for a series since Trigun, and it copped out like a pathetic shojo and had everyone on their knees and crying. And I said, "no! You do not cop out like that."
    Yeah, add that on my list.

Yeah, add that on my list.
    Gah you two! Add your rants to the Shigofumi thread! XD