This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Biggest Disappointment

2»

Comments

• You kids get way too emotionally invested in things that haven't happened yet. To avoid disappointment, I recommend becoming a huge cynic. Never get excited about anything or expect things to work out for the best. That's the ticket!
  • You kids get way too emotionally invested in things that haven't happened yet. To avoid disappointment, I recommend becoming a huge cynic. Never get excited about anything or expect things to work out for the best. That's the ticket!
    Expect the worst, hope for the best(?). Works for me.
  • edited April 2008
    Expect the worst, hope for the best(?). Works for me.
    Hope is for suckers.

All it does is feed the ruinous powers of Chaos anyway.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • Well, so far Macross F :(
  • Care to share your tales of woe?
    Oh, just a mother who died of cancer, a grandmother who died of alzheimer's, a grandfather who shot himself to death because of that grandmother, my father being in a hospital for depression because of that whole mess, a grandfather who died of emphysema, an aunt who died from cancer, growing up poor on a farm and watching multiple crops fail in the fields, seeing multiple animals (including pets - I've had pets die from freezing to death and I've actually had pets die from being trapped in a burning building) die, multiple family members who are sick right now, having a motorcycle stolen, having two engagements fail, seeing your business for all intents and purposes fail before your eyes . . .

That's a start. I don't want to go much further now because I'm at work and I don't want to get too depressed. I think one of the biggest single disappointments was being stiffed a three thousand dollar fee during Christmas, a very, very slow time of year for a solo practitioner. That three thousand would have made for a good Christmas. Instead, we had aHard Candy Christmaswhile we tried to figure out if we could pay the mortgage for that month.

So, yeah. If not getting an autograph from some anime dude even makes it onto your list of disappointments, I want to trade lives.
    Definition of disappoint: 1. to fail to fulfill the expectations or wishes of

How is people dying failing to fulfill your expectations? I suppose the only disappoint things on that list would be crops failing and engagements failing would be disappointments, but you seem to be complaining that you have had more tragedy than someone much younger than you.
  • How is people dying failing to fulfill your expectations? I suppose the only disappoint things on that list would be crops failing and engagements failing would be disappointments, but you seem to be complaining that you have had more tragedy than someone much younger than you.
    If you had read other posts you would see that there was a chance Mom could have recovered, but she didn't. That somewhat failed to fulfill our expectations. My grandfather failed to fulfill our expectations of not decorating the living room in an interesting new color called "Hint of Brain". My dad failed to fulfill my expectations of not finding my grandfather lying in a pool of blood and then subsequently being treated as an inpatient in a mental hospital where he was given shock treatments. I mean, maybe I had a reasonable expectation that I wouldn't have to sign a consent form so that doctors could send electric shocks through my dad's brains. Or maybe some asshat on the internet can tell me better.

Also, I'm not complaining. If you had taken the time to read the posts, you would have noticed that someone invited me to tell my tale of woe.

Finally, you know what else fails to fulfill my expectations? Your atrocious grammar. Fuck you sideways.
  • having two engagements fail
    I think I can see why.
  • edited April 2008
    I think I can see why.
    Whoa whoa whoa. That's not something you can say about someone you don't really know. Not cool.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Whoa whoa whoa. That's not something you can say about someone you don't really know. Not cool.
    You're right. I was out of line to say that. I apologize.

That guy really was acting like a jerk, though. I don't think that's out of line.
  • Whoa whoa whoa. That's not something you can say about someone you don't really know. Not cool.

That guy really was acting like a jerk, though. I don't think that's out of line.
    No, it really is.
  • edited April 2008
    having two engagements fail
    I think I can see why.
    Whoa whoa whoa. That's not something you can say about someone you don't really know. Not cool.

No, it really is.
    Thanks for saying that, but it's okay. I agree that I can sometimes be a trifle on the bitter side. That didn't have anything to do with the two engagements, though. One girl went to Japan on the JET program, and the relationship just went south like a lot of long distance relationships do. The second one actually dumped me for a guy who had lots more money, which sounds like something that only happens in movies and books, but happened to me in real life.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited April 2008
    One girl went to Japan on the JET program
    I want to go on the JET program. I think that sometimes people can live apart from each other for a while and it all works out. But if you broke up because she went to Japan, at least it was probably a relatively painless separation (just guessing based on observation of other, similar situations.)

Edmund, your stories are very sad. It sounds like you've had a rough time of it. However, getting mad at someone because they haven't felt the same pain, or because of their youthful naiveté is a bit harsh. What do you want out of this conversation? Sympathy? If that's all you want, I feel sympathetic toward you, but at the same time I do not understand why you are trying to browbeat us into this sympathy. This is not a contest of sorrow, of "I have had the worst luck of anyone," it is merely a group of friends sharing everyday disappointments. ("Oh, that sucked! Oh mans!") Belittling anyone's sadness, be it a small, insignificant pang caused by a slight spot of bad luck, or a crushing, life wrecking depression is a cruel thing to do. It's all a matter of scale. How would you feel if a survivor of, say, the Armenian genocide or Rwanda looked at you and said "You idiot! Damn you and your lucky, lucky life!" Not very nice, I'd imagine. So, in other words, do not yell at the kids for being lucky, be relieved that at least their lives are not touched by suffering as yours was. (Is is resentment? Jealousy? What?)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited April 2008
    Thank you for your post. It was well written, logical, and very kind. I wouldn't post here again, but you asked a direct question.

1. I don't think you did this, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. That first engagement wasn't broken because the girl went to Japan so much as it broke up because of the distance that separated us. We just couldn't handle it. We would've also probably broken up if I went to England or if she went to Brazil.

2. I only posted some of my stories because jcc invited me to. I'm not looking for sympathy or posting through resentment or anything like that. Well, I suppose I did kind of resent being quoted a dictionary definition in a poorly written, grammatically incorrect post, but that had more to do with the grammar and dictionary definition than anything else.

3. I've met Holocaust survivors. I get along very well with them. We share substantially the same happy outlook on life. So, if any genocide or holocaust survivors decide to post here, I'd feel great, because we'd probably become good friends.

4. Once more, I'm not looking for sympathy. If I wanted anything out of this thread, it would be that I am teh win for sad stories. I have not yet begun to tell all of my sad stories.

5. Even if it's mean, I still think that kid's story about continual, gnawing pain because he didn't get an autograph from an anime guy is teh suck. I'm not mad at the story at all. I just think it's not a very good story.

6. If this is a thread about everyday disappointments, maybe it should say "Everyday Disappointments" in the title instead of "Biggest Disappointment".
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If this is a thread about everyday disappointments, maybe it should say "Everyday Disappointments" in the title instead of "Biggest Disappointment".
    Teenagers are masters of hyperbole.
  • *gives HungryJoe a cookie* Yes, you are teh win for stories. You are also a lemon. Bitter and horrible when combined with the wrong ingredients. However, when combined with the proper ingredients something delicious can be made.

I like to think of myself as a sugar overdose, albeit not as sweet. Any impurities are too hard to detect, that means, my recall sucks. I truly cannot remember anything I was ever disappointed about. Doing so would also be a huge waste of time which can be better spend enjoying life some more. Sure, I've had tragedies in my life, but I had no influence in the out coming of any of these thus never got excited about them. What will remain are the sweet memories I treasure! They will keep the ppm of tragedies dangerously low! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!