This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080415 - Games Only Rym Likes

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about those games that you like (and no one else does): Gemfire, Aerobiz, Yoshi's Cookie... In the news, Monster Cables are a waste of money, and the Mouse Guard game is coming.

Scott's Thing - The Mario RC Car Song
Rym's Thing - Phantasmagoria was a terrible game, despite the hype

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Hm, this episode was posted pretty early. Splendid.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

−
    <Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied

Access Denied
    11E8D0653A437907
    −

v7PRzK1O0X9cwdk2TFobgcouvW50/KemW0maSRayS4dpj8FeRXMwJ8zr9fOOBKf8

I'm guessing it didn't update yet?
  • I forgot all about Gemfire. I have to go back and play that game now. I never owned a copy, but I had an uncle who did. Every time me and my younger brother had access to that game, we would play it. I remember always using Pluvius and hiring Fachan, mostly because I liked to say their names.
    I do own a copy of Yoshi's Cookie though. It's not too bad of a multi-player game, and I used to like the puzzle mode. It really wasn't that great of a game, but it was fun. I wouldn't buy it for the virtual console on the Wii, but sometimes when I visit my mom I play it with her on the old SNES.
  • Phantasmagoria was totally awesome to a 14 year old ^_^
  • So right after I listened to this episode I got a craving to play some Castles II. I don't know how many people know (or like) this game, but this I played this flat out when I was a kid.
  • Phantasmagoria WAS awesome to a fourteen year old, but did anyone happen to notice the hintkeeper's slight lisp? "I am the officthial hintkeeper, but useth me thparingly...too many hints, thpoil the game." I still have a copy of this sitting around somewhere...can't wait to get home from work and mess with it.
  • So right after I listened to this episode I got a craving to play someCastles II. I don't know how many people know (or like) this game, but this I played this flat out when I was a kid.
    I played the shit out of this game on my Mac IIci back in middle school. I honestly haven't played (or have any real interest in playing) any strategy-type games since then, but I definitely have fond memories of it. With that in mind, being such a hardcore console platformer/fighting-game fan, I don't know how I got roped in to playing the game in the first place, nevermind owning it and playing it incessantly. I remember stitching all of the included QuickTime movies together and forming random scenarios. I may or may not have narrated them with funny voices upon doing so.

Back in the day I was a Mortal Kombat 3 champion while others were boo-hoo-ing it in favor of the arguably-superior Mortal Kombat II. Not that I didn't like II...

One of the admittedly-shitty games that we love over here is Smashing Drive on the Gamecube. There's no real reason to like the game, as it's a generic driving game where you... *gasp*... smash into things. I guess we liked it because back in college the arcade at the student center where we ran our anime club happened to have the machine, and we'd hop back and forth between that and DDR. Once we picked up the home version on the cheap, we just kinda... destroyed it? It's one of those games where you keep playing and playing, all the while telling yourself that it's awful and you should stop... but you just can't stop...
  • I have to say....two games that fit into this category are Mega Man 64 and Harvest Moon 64. I got insanely good at both of these games but no one else wants to share my joy in them :(

Also if you want to talk about awesome FMVs in classic computer games, boy do I have one for you:
  • I have to say....two games that fit into this category are Mega Man 64...
    I didn't even know there was a Mega Man 64. Apparently there is. It looks a hell of a lot like Mega Man Legends. Mega Man legends was shittier than poop on a stick. I must assume Mega Man 64 was also shit sans-stick.
  • It looks a hell of a lot like Mega Man Legends.
    It is Mega Man Legands with better controls, graphics, and some revised dungeons. I love that game....
  • Aerobiz sounds kinda good and I happen to have a rom, so I'll try it out.
  • Man, Simon's Quest was one of my favorite games when I was a kid. 20 years later, this code is still burned into my brain:
    EGKU WSUW
    X32U V2ZG
  • Aerobiz sounds kinda good and I happen to have a rom, so I'll try it out.
    That game sounds like its SO up my alley. Looks like Rym will have some more folks to play with now.
  • Aerobiz. So many good memories.

I can't count how many hours my brothers and I spent in front of the SNES playing this game. I didn't think anyone else even knew it existed.
    Aerobiz Supersonic was even better, if you ever come across a copy.
  • Majora's Mask wasn't that bad, was it? I liked it. >_>
  • I used to play Gemfire back on the genesis. I was lucky enough to have a friend who also liked it so I was able to play it multi player which defiantly helps it. The most memorable thing about that game was on of the jesters quotes "Mercenaries fight with skill hire them or others will"
  • Majora's Mask wasn'tthatbad, was it? I liked it. >_>
    I too liked it, but it was too fricking short. LoZ needs more than 4 dungeons!
  • edited April 2008
    Majora's Mask wasn'tthatbad, was it? I liked it. >_>
    I too liked it, but it was too fricking short. LoZ needs more than 4 dungeons!
    Ah you never played the game trying to get all masks without using an FAQ....it is insanely long if you go for 100% completion. Also seconded on it being a good game, yes it was different, and kinda but, but still fun.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Ah you never played the game trying to get all masks without using an FAQ....it is insanely long if you go for 100% completion. Also seconded on it being a good game, yes it was different, and kinda but, but still fun.
    What? It's not that insanely long to get 100% completion. OoT is longer if you go for 100%. Heck, if a game isn't insanely long to get 100% completion it's a very shallow game. The point however is that if you want to determine a games length you should only count the main thread, from the start to the real end without every side thing you can do.

Majora's Mask was just very short compared to all the other LoZ games. The world felt small and the temples were few. Heck, the game's hardest bosses were the Jungle warrior of the first temple and Death in the last temple.
  • edited April 2008
    Monster Cable, the debate continues as to if their just a big rip off or not. Myself I have been buying Monster Cable for about 10 years in conjunction with other types of cable. As far as signal, these products seem to be the same when first purchased, but over time the cheaper cables signal degrades. This could be due to cheaper materials used in the construction of the cable? I have discovered a new product at a much cheaper price at my local Costco called Wirelogic cables. They are constructed of a single copper core instead of many copper wires. This idea does sound like a better one, so off to testing a set of cables I shall go. You get a package of Cables for about $80.00. 2 hdmi, 2 optical, component, supervideo and a set of regular audio and video cables. Not a bad deal when you think about how one hdmi monster cable costs around $104.00.
    Has anyone else tried Wirelogic cables and what do you think of their performance?
    Post edited by Anubis on
  • As far as signal, these products seem to be the same when first purchased, but over time the cheaper cables signal degrades.
    What evidence do you have of this "degradation?"
    Has anyone else tried Wirelogic cables and what do you think of their performance?
    All digital media cables perform the same so long as they function at all.
  • I have noticed a breakdown in video signal such as pixelaztion and just seems to be softer in image over time. Had a movie night and my guests noticed the same problems. I have a combo of digital and analog cables. First thought it was the TV. Switched cheap cable with monster and everything was sharp again and no pixalization.
    I do have long 25 foot runs which does play a factor. As you mentioned the better insulated the more expensive, so far I have only found monster to be the best insulated. So the cheaper cable could have been picking up other electric signals. Any others you can suggest. I do think monster is way overpriced, thats why I am going to try Wirelogic. Have you checked out these cables yet?
    Eventually, I will be installing cables behind walls, then your entering a whole new situation of code requirements and house insurance requirements. Do you recommend any types of cable for inwall installation. Cannot use the same outside of wall due to the possibility or arking as I have been told by my electrician.
  • Your cables were probably just physically broken. Do a double-blind test comparing new not-broken monster cables and some cheap cables, you won't be able to tell the difference.
  • Do you recommend any types of cable for inwall installation.
    Just make your own from plenum-grade stock.
  • Has anyone else tried Wirelogic cables and what do you think of their performance?
    Have you checked out these cables yet?
    Dude! While your message might be practically instantly send, buying and testing cables cannot be done instantly. Just wire your house properly and you'll have no trouble with this so called 'degradation'.
  • That would explain why everything was good again when I plugged in the monster cable, has a thicker insulation. More then likely a matter of insulation/material breakage. I do know If insulation is broke then electrical signals interfere. I did have both for a long time. This is what I was wondering in my first statement could the materials that the cheaper cables have been constructed with be a concern over time? The cheaper cable was the one that was causing the problem, I will buy new ones and compare. I know your right in regards to signal being the same, its the materials and their construction that I am interested in and their lifespan. When I put new cables in the walls I will have to investigate further.
  • Not a bad deal when you think about how one hdmi monster cable costs around $104.00.
    I paid six dollars for my HDMI cable. LoL, Monster.
  • Myself
    I was asking directly Rym or Scott if they may have heard or read about Wirelogic that is what I meant by checked them out yet, not today but anytime.

My previous question was for everyone in general, as to having any knowledge or experience, past or present of Wirelogic cables and their performance.

I will be more precise in the future

Rym
    For my house inwall instalation I will more then likely be going in that direction.
    Thanks for both yours and Scotts help.
  • I'm totally with ya on liking all the part 2's. Megaman 2, Zelda 2, Mario 2, Castlevania 2...and more recently Resident Evil 2, they are all my favs in each series.
  • I'm totally with ya on liking all the part 2's. Megaman 2, Zelda 2, Mario 2, Castlevania 2...and more recently Resident Evil 2, they are all my favs in each series.
    Mega Man 2 yes, the others no.