This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Are you happy?

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
Are you?

Why?

Today we were talking about happiness on my ethics class and someone mentioned that the older people are the happier they are. Do you agree?
If that is true Joe must be the happiest person to ever exist.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    that the older people are the happier they are.
    well... you tend to not sweat the small stuff as much.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Hmm... I remember there being a study or something a while back that said that the smarter people are, the more likely they are to become cranky and bitter when they get old.

In general, I am happy. Lately I've had some rough stuff going on in my life, so there's been more sadness than usual. But still, generally happy. Not SATISFIED -- I still want more out of life. But I have everything I really need, and good people around me. That's enough to be happy.
  • Yes, because everything is awesome.
  • Yes I am, I am alive and nothing makes me happier to know that.
  • Yes, bacon.
  • edited April 2008
    I tend to be a very optimisimistic person as I actually believe that "there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day." That being said, I tend to have some very bitter and self loathing periods in my life, but that is just the way I am.
    EDIT: I am the same as Scott, bacon makes me very happy. Expecially with waffles.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Yes, relativity.
  • Yes, I am happy. The sun is shining into my room, small birds hop on the branches of the tree outside my window, I had pancakes for dinner and I'm warm. I can create, I can relax, I can think and I can breathe. Basically I am happy, for I am alive. As said by those before me in this thread.
  • Yes. I am a happy Ro.
  • Yes, I am happy. I am very, very lucky that I can live this life. I am glad.
    Yes, I am happy. The sun is shining into my room, small birds hop on the branches of the tree outside my window, I had pancakes for dinner and I'm warm. I can create, I can relax, I can think and I can breathe. Basically I am happy, for I am alive. As said by those before me in this thread.
    There's nothing more to be said. Myself, that is wonderful.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes, bacon.
    I am the same as Scott, bacon makes me very happy. Expecially with waffles.
    "Today a child is born unto us and his name will be bacon. Smell it? Do you smell it? Everything does not suck."

With that one truth of bacon this world can never be unhappy thus Victoria shall always be happy!

Lulz, but seriously with a Mom, a lover and tons of friends added in with my super geek lifestyle the happiness will never end. Even when bad stuff happens I'm never sad for long. With the way things are how could I ever lose my happiness permanently.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die, because they are never going to be born. The number of people who could be here in my place outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. If you think about all the different ways our genes could be permuted, you and I are quite grotesquely lucky to be here... We are privileged to be alive, and we should make the most of our time on this world.
  • Yeah, yeah... I'm lucky to be alive at all etc.

But, in feasible terms that actually matter, I guess I'm pretty happy. I've pretty much under archived in my life but things seem to be coming together slowly. I wasted my high school years and was given a great opportunity in college to do something but for some reason I let that slip too (we start college at 16 here). I'm 21 now and working for my brothers construction company and hate every second of it, even though I've been doing it for a long time now.

I'll be going out to Miami on the 30th (I live in London, UK) of this month to study with my girlfriend so I can take the GED exam, go to Miami-date college and study whilst working part time. Her parents are letting me stay at their house for as long as I want whilst I study and by the time I'm finished studying for those 2 years I can either decide to work and save up to continue my edumacation or proceed right away to get higher qualifications so I can get a better job in the end.

So, yeah, I'm pretty damn happy right now. I have a great girlfriend and I'm working (even if it is crap money and work) and it seems like the road further on does nothing but climb higher and higher, sure it might be hard for a slacker like me, but I'll love not having hands covered in cuts and blood, bruises all over my body and being so exhausted I can't do anything when I get home at night.

< /rant>
  • Seems I'm the only one not happy with their current situation. But its more of an environmental kind of thing, both the economy and social situation here is not looking very bright, but I'm working on a way out right now.

So I'm not really happy, but I'm doing something about it.
  • Hmm... I remember there being a study or something a while back that said that the smarter people are, the more likely they are to become cranky and bitter when they get old.
    Yes, that is true.
  • I am very lucky and I have an awesome life. However, happiness is something I've studied a lot because I find it to be elusive. I also think it's overrated. People can achieve great things without being happy. It's not the be all end all. Do I wish I were like Rym and manic happy all time? Hard to say. I think my friends would not know who I was anymore.
    Yes, that is true.
    Then the whole ignorance is bliss thing would be true and that's something I always disagreed with. Why does it have to be that way? It's not always that way right?
  • Then the whole ignorance is bliss thing would be true and that's something I always disagreed with. Why does it have to be that way? It's not always that way right?
    I guess it's just the way things work out. I think it's true that a propensity to really think about the world can be kind of a burden. There's a lot of really bad stuff going on that we all ignore to some extent. Those of us that can ignore it more can more easily just get on with our TV and beer, I guess.
  • Yeah I'm happy. Tennis season, along with the lack of caring about classes makes school go by wicked fast.
    Also, the knowledge that I am in a much better position than a majority of people makes me never want to be sad.
  • If I wasn't, I would find a way to become happy.
  • I just came out of a teenage-induced depressive stupor, which was really pointless in hindsight. Other than the usual doubts about the future (which is a cottage industry in and of itself), I'm pleased as punch.
  • I'm emo.
  • I'm emo.
    Hungry Joe? ^_~
  • Actually, I'm about as happy now as I've ever been in my life. I have cases that go to court, and that makes me happy. Of all the places I've ever been, I'm happiest in courts and libraries, so getting to go to court is great. The hospital where I work is very spooky, so that's nice. Our apartment in Baltimore is only a couple of blocks away from Edgar Allan Poe's grave, so that's nice as well, and the Pratt Library is the nicest library I've ever used.

Situationally, I have nothing to complain about. I can still make myself sad anytime I want and I still have some minor bouts of depression, but that's more organic than anything else. So yeah, I'm pretty happy.
  • edited April 2008
    I just came out of a teenage-induced depressive stupor, which was really pointless in hindsight.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure every single human being on the face of the planet goes through that.

It's funny how, when you're a teenager, you're all convinced that nobody else has problems but you. Then, as you grow older, you come to realize that everybody feels that way. Granted, most people don't wind up learning anything from it, but still, everybody has their own problems.

Overall, I'm happy. Day-to-day, it can vary slightly, as some things may arise that piss me off/stress me out, but I also have ways to mitigate that stress. Finntroll is great for that.

Why am I happy? I've been handed plenty of reasons to be miserable in life, and often succumbed to misery. In the end, though, I persevere and come back to being happy. Learning to tough it out is key to learning how to be truly happy. Bad things happen; just keep on truckin'.

EDIT: Also, puppies. Nothing brings me more joy than playing with a puppy.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Hm, it's hard to say, but then again, isn't that the epitome of high school?

Okay, the bad first. My parents have held back my getting a car (I'm "not good enough", yet I drive more than most of my friends) and a job ("Too much other stuff to do"). I feel like I get ignored fairly often; I talk and people respond, but far fewer people start talking to me. I'm a jack-of-all-trades but master of none (like in art, where my work is always 2nd or 3rd best). My friends are mostly more of acquaintances. I'm not trying to bicker, but this is how things are. I'm not sad, I'm disappointed in the lemonade I've made out of my lemons, and also in the sales of my decent lemonade.

At the same time, I've become much better than I was in my younger years, which I still regret much of. Mostly I just was a jerk to people, never really wanting to be social much. I'm much better socially, I'm more well informed, I'm more in control of myself... I'm just tired of waiting to see my efforts become fruitless.
  • Found this just now, didn't know happiness could be measured and graphed.
  • Odd... I thought America would be a lot less happy.
  • I think maybe that map just measures wealth.

I saw this guy on the Colbert Report a couple months ago who wrote a book about relative happiness around the world, and he said that the US was something like 20th happiest country.

It'd be interesting seeing the US broken down by state, or even county.
  • I think maybe that map just measures wealth.
    No way is Mongolia or Tibet(?) that rich. Or Germany that poor.
    And I want to know what metrics they are using to measure "happiness".